21 injured in SW Dade airboat crash

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Bonefish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

21 injured in SW Dade airboat crash

Postby Bonefish » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:51 pm

Any of you down South know anything about this?

http://www.local10.com/news/21-injured- ... y/35142552

Ol Yeller
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: 21 injured in SW Dade airboat crash

Postby Ol Yeller » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:08 pm

Oops, sounds like the drivers were having more fun than the passengers. Oh and the alligator infested waters they almost went into. What, one our two alligator attacks a year in Florida while 40,000 Americans killed by cars each year. I'll take my chances in the marsh any day with those odds.

FP1201
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby FP1201 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Ol Yeller wrote:Oops, sounds like the drivers were having more fun than the passengers. Oh and the alligator infested waters they almost went into. What, one our two alligator attacks a year in Florida while 40,000 Americans killed by cars each year. I'll take my chances in the marsh any day with those odds.

Car crashes don't attract interest; now throw an alligator into the story and you sell papers!
Henley had it right: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNC4FHR4XLA&list=RDMNC4FHR4XLA[/youtube]
Mother Nature plays to win, and if she doesn't get you, her bitch of a daughter Krama will.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Didn't even need to click the link . . .

It must be the laundry and it's lack of cleanliness to which you refer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:40 pm

LMAO..... "All passengers were given a full refund!"

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lilly-Pad » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:28 am

12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Quick Draw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Quick Draw » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:38 am

Ol Yeller wrote:Oops, sounds like the drivers were having more fun than the passengers. Oh and the alligator infested waters they almost went into. What, one our two alligator attacks a year in Florida while 40,000 Americans killed by cars each year. I'll take my chances in the marsh any day with those odds.

LOL yep :thumbleft:

SteveReid
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby SteveReid » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:52 am

Totally stupidity!! When I first heard this I though, maybe this could happen in a trail. But WOW!!

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Brotherbob » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:25 am

Looks like an alligator ego out ran his skill level to me.
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Postby GeeLeDouche » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:56 am

Heres a fun debate for everyone,, which airboat do you think is at fault?

After watching the video numerous times I would say the airboat the video was being shot from. He appeared to be coming from behind the other airboat and had the chance to turn away to the right instead of continuing his course..
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
1648"M (& floatation pods) "Lowe" modified V Jon boat with a 31hp mudbuddy hyperdrive.

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby stroked470 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:11 am

Totally 100% the boat that the video is being shot from is at fault....total stupidity and disreguard for safety. Un believable

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Brotherbob » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:28 pm

We run rivers in our group so in a situation where there are two boats-the inside boat to the curve normally gets the right of way with us. He looked good and held his line on the inside, the dude on the out side appeared to have too much speed and cut the inside guy short or tried to out run him into the turn in my opinion. Hard to say though maybe he wasn't looking that direction and just run out of water or something? Too damn bad folks had to get hurt , that's a hard lesson.

Bet the lawyers are already calling....

BB
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Comanche-pup » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Airboat tours are a extended jungle cruise from disney at best, just so tourists can say, " i rode on an airboat"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgs2845
Southern Airboat Member

Postby pgs2845 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:25 pm

24 people on one boat !!!! Really, call Morgan & Morgan. Hope yau'll got good insurance !!!!!!!

swampfever
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swampfever » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:33 pm

Have to wait and see where the Coast Guard goes with it but...

Before the left hand vessel turned...Vessel to Starboard has right of way. Two power driven vessels meeting @ near 90 degree angle. Vessel on left of video @ Fault for not giving way.

Vessel on left does not slow down and changes course in the wrong direction to avoid collision. Vessel to Starboard has right of way.

The turn causes the boat on the right to take action. This causes boat on the right to slide. They hit.
Vessel on left should have given way before reaching his turn or changed direction to Starboard so as to go behind the vessel already in the channel.

or... Vessel on left turned in front of the vessel to the right causing an overtaking situtation. However the actions taken by the vessel on the left were done without due care and forced the vessel on the right to take action to avoid a collision.

Vessel on Left @ Fault. Both will most likely get tickets. The Coast Guard loves to point out that someone did not do everything possable to avoid a crash..Both Captains will not be insurable for quite some time, My Guess ?

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:11 am

If you notice the boat on the left was hopping because he turned hard, to make a boat that big loaded with passengers crow hop you are turning it hard. Slowing down in a airboat means loosing steering. The boat that this was filmed from made a hand full of foolish mistakes. Im amazed with how obvious it was they were on a collision coarse, it was still not prevented that means either traveling to fast for conditions or bad driving.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

swampfever
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swampfever » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Vessel to Starboard has the right of way. I see no special circumstances. Both boats are in sight of each other with plenty of room to maneuver as long as it is done in a timely fashion. Vessel to Port should have slowed down and or turned to Starboard as soon as he realized another vessel was crossing and that a possibility exists that they may pass close to one another. Vessel to Ports burden. Vessel to Starboard should maintain course and speed in a meeting situation unless action is required to avoid collision.
Coast Guard rule is pretty clear.. Vessel to Starboard has the right of way.
Both may get ticketed.. Rule #1. Don't crash even it it is not your fault.

This is not a situation where a boat jumping out of tall grass into a channel or into another trail with limited visibility causes one or both drivers to pick a direction and stomp on the gas to keep steerage and push the boat out of the way. I see no limited visibility issues. Boat to Port could have slowed down long before his intended turn to give the vessel to Starboard time to pass. That's what the Coast Guard is going to be looking at. Who did what and when. My bet is Vessel to Port will get the most blame.

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Waterthunder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:54 pm

Obviously both captains are familiar with and trained on Coast Gaurd regulations and are certified Captains. If he turned to port he would have ran off the water into vegetation and to turn to starboard he would have had a head on. I think after seeing the video showing the operator was not capable of turning his vessel in time to avoid a collision they may find him to be traveling to fast. But who knows it is a port to starboard collision (silly **** up) . I don't know the terrain of that location many parts of our river are split by vegetation and islands which effects right of way. I'm sure in 6 or so months we will hear who was considered to be at fault. I'm just amazed that neither captain avoided the collision there was plenty of time to prevent the collision. There was a certified captain running tours down here that runs his big ass boat down little trails loaded with people. MANY MANY times very skilled pleasure air boaters have saved his ass by running up into trees to prevent a head on collision. But he is so arrogant and feels he has the right of way he continues his practice without any regard for his passengers safety.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Dan Coffey
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Dan Coffey » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:16 pm

It's hard to tell from the video but the starboard vessel does not have the right of way due to being the starboard vessel. In the video it looks as though the starboard vessel is overtaking the other vessel which means he yields the right of way. It's all about the true angle and speed which from the video is hard to determine.
But any vessel overtaking another vessel yields the right of way.
Danny Coffey
13' Scorpion 383 Stroker, Stinger gear box, 3 Blade 80" R
12' Jimmy White Step Hull, O 480, 72" 5 Blade Warp Drive

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby TheElevatorGuy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Actually those tour boat companies post ads on Craigslist for help........pay the boat drivers dirt under the table.......let them make a few spins with an empty boat and them turn them loose with a fully loaded boat.......I know this for a fact and not 2nd hand information that these guys down there don't have a license or proper training!

swampfever
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swampfever » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:36 pm

Dan Coffey wrote:It's hard to tell from the video but the starboard vessel does not have the right of way due to being the starboard vessel. In the video it looks as though the starboard vessel is overtaking the other vessel which means he yields the right of way. It's all about the true angle and speed which from the video is hard to determine.
But any vessel overtaking another vessel yields the right of way.

I am going to disagree. Taking your thought that it was an overtaking situtation i believe is flawed. The vessel to Port started out as (vessel to Port, give way vessel) and due to his actions turned it into a close quarter overtaking situtation. While as stated elsewhere we do not have the benifit of an overhead view or actual distances and visibility the video appears to show plenty of room and time for the vessel on the Port to have not forced the situtation. Running to the turn and proclaiming I got there first with less than a few boat lengths before collision is not going to impress the Coast Guard.

I do not see any validity to the notion that turning into the grass would be dangerous in that video. Looks to be plenty of depth and the grass is not dense. Looks like inches between the blades and vision is not obscured.
If we take grass into it Vessel to Port will most likely get nailed for unsafe navagation anyway. They will say the operator should have been more careful while navagating under those condations.
Its the Coast Guard there will be no winners !

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:15 pm

TheElevatorGuy wrote:Actually those tour boat companies post ads on Craigslist for help........pay the boat drivers dirt under the table.......let them make a few spins with an empty boat and them turn them loose with a fully loaded boat.......I know this for a fact and not 2nd hand information that these guys down there don't have a license or proper training!

Allegedly, so you won"t be accused of slander. If that were a true statement I don"t see those companies surviving the possible law suits heading their way. Insurance companies won't pay out if they were operating with non licensed captains.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:45 pm

You think the collision affected their tips on that ride? :scratch: :lol:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby TheElevatorGuy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:45 pm

glades cat wrote:You think the collision affected their tips on that ride? :scratch: :lol:

The only tips received on those two boat were to the hulls..........lol

TheElevatorGuy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby TheElevatorGuy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:49 pm

AirRanger wrote:
TheElevatorGuy wrote:Actually those tour boat companies post ads on Craigslist for help........pay the boat drivers dirt under the table.......let them make a few spins with an empty boat and them turn them loose with a fully loaded boat.......I know this for a fact and not 2nd hand information that these guys down there don't have a license or proper training!

Allegedly, so you won"t be accused of slander. If that were a true statement I don"t see those companies surviving the possible law suits heading their way. Insurance companies won't pay out if they were operating with non licensed captains.

I'm not worried about any slander charges at all.........what I say on here is a known true fact and I can prove it if need be........so no need to use the word allegedly.........even though it is my favorite word in the dictionary!!!!!

Return to “Airboat Talk”