Replacing poly on an aluminum hull.

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Replacing poly on an aluminum hull.

Postby SthrnStyle3 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Just wondering what y'all's opinions are on whether I should weld up the old holes and re-drill new ones or re-use the old holes and nut and bolt it..? If I get the holes welded up (depends on if a buddy will do it or not), I can thread the bolts into the hull and won't require any nuts. It'll also make it a one person job. If I re-use the old holes, it'll then be a two person job and I'll have to buy nuts. What's y'all's opinion??
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Replacing poly on an aluminum hull.

Postby barhopper » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:09 pm

I just got done putting poly on two weekends ago. I used the old holes with nuts and washers. That was the fourth time I've done it on two different boats. When I got the hull I have now it was screwed on. I continually was jerking them out. I run rough rocks and oysters. I don't have near the problem with jerking them out I did with the screwed in ones. If you do weld the holes up make sure you chase the hole a little bigger and grind around it. I know someone who's boat leaks bad through welded up holes. The stainless and aluminum cause a corrosion in the hole. I'm trying brass nylocks this time. I didn't have one that galled while installing.

swampsquatch09
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby swampsquatch09 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:20 pm

It might sound time consuming but after threading the bolt through the hole with a 7/32 drill bit dab neversieze on each bolt, I was gaulding about 1 one 5 when I started tighting but after the neversieze I ran everyone one of them up with a drill then tighten without a problem.
14ft Maxcraft, 70" WW Signature Series 320 lycoming
:texas:

GladesAirboat
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GladesAirboat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:03 pm

When using the stainless bolts and nylock nuts if you use a impact it will gauld, try a battery drill instead. The impact action will gauld the threads, the smooth tightening of the drill works better.
14'6" X 7'6" Diamond Back, ZZ502,
2-1 Century Drive 3 Blade 80" Power Shift
12 Hamant 0360 68" Sensinich
Glades Airboat & Buggy Association
Home of the Muck Boyz

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby pontoon outlaw » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:42 pm

:scratch: I just used the same holes, they are already threaded :violent1: drill a smaller hole in the Poly then put the screw in and it threads the poly, no leaks and just nut and washer the slim few that didn't tighten :cheers: I've done mine twice the same way :usa:

Return to “Airboat Tech”