AIRBOAT HELP

mjo27
Southern Airboat Member

AIRBOAT HELP

Postby mjo27 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Hello,

Pretty curious about an airboat. Been running a prodrive on the colorado river here in Central Tex and there is just a bit more rock/stones then I had thought. The prodrive does fine but it definitely isn't the most effective way to run the river. Been thinking about selling and using the cash for a down payment on an airboat. Was looking for some advice from some avid airboat users…. Was wondering about how much for a very simple (at least 16 footer) airboat?? etc. Are they a really bad money pit as they say? etc. does anyone know any central TX dealers…? everyone I've found have been in east TX.. Looking for a quality airboat! Looking for one to duck hunt out of or at least get me to my spot. Materials??? etc. Just any input you have about my situation

Thanks!!!!! :old_glory:

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: AIRBOAT HELP

Postby akblackdawg » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:29 pm

if you got to ask, you can't afford it. $100 per day for gas no problem, then maybe you can afford the boat that goes with it. how rocky is that river, rocks sticking up not good, submerged rocks can be slid over, lots of questions for you to find out about, post your town, etc, maybe somebody close will call and offer you a ride and some local information. welcome to SA
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

mjo27
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mjo27 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:40 pm

Lol if I was some poor MF, I don't think I'd be on here in the first place. I don't think an airboat would be my next purchase if I couldn't afford it.... I understand it's gonna be a small fortune. I just wanted some general info. That is all. The river is just small rock bars that do not protrude out of the water. I said I could navigate with a prodrive but rocks of any size are difficult for it. That is how much of the rocks are not a factor. We are talking small stone size. I am just looking for general info

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:05 pm

There's a decent starter boat just posted today above Houston in Cleveland, Tx. A lot of Texas guys post on here, I'm sure on will chime in at some point. My advice would be to get in contact with someone as near to you as possible with an airboat, go out, get some pointers and take the plunge! It is an addiction though, be forewarned! Read the forums on here, tons of great info and tips. Everyone has to start somewhere, don't be discouraged by those who think they born with a rudder stick in their hand ! The more you pilot, the better you'll get. You really get a feel for an airboat and learn what it and you, can and can't do.
Welcome to SA and I hope you love your upcoming addiction! :thumbleft:
Last edited by GCRedfisher on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

Chaseh
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Chaseh » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:57 am

A direct drive with poly will run down there, and can be had for 5-10k. But one day you'll stick that bittch in a sandy spot and have hell getting her free. You probably need to expect spending 12 to 30k on a nice, reliable, car motor with reduction setup.

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Postby SkinnerBack » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:04 am

Maybe you should talk with Shane @ dynamarine, I'm sure he can lead you in the right direction on they type of boat you need.......

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby mcm4 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:25 am

My advice....

If you are a bow fisherman then get with some Texas Airboaters that bowfish and ride in their boats and ask them lots of questions

if you are a duck hunter, then find you a texas duck hunter that is an air boater and do the same.

there are least 5 different texas/oklahoma/arkansas airboat builders that have made modifications though out the years to make their boats to the Texas guys standards.. Go by and talk to each of them.

My advice, if you have money..... decide what you really want, and buy it new or like new... much cheaper than buying junk and throwing money at it.

For example, if you buy a 60k airboat new,you should be able to use it, not worry about always fixing it, and when you want to sell it you should be able to get 40k or more for it.

If you buy a 10k-20k airboat, and spent 20-30k on it upgrading engine, drive, prop, cage, etc... it will always be in the shop and when you get ready to sell it it will still only be worth 10-20k....

why buy junk and try to fix it up?

do you want to use your airboat or own one and always have it in the shop fixing or modifying it wishing it would perform better.

To me, tall sides, heavy duty bottom, lots of extra stringers and midship braces, thick quality uhmw, 16x8 minimum plus rake, BBC with EFI built right producing 600-800+ hp (aluminum block) . Plan on spending 30-35k on the engine, reduction and prop, then put the type hull and rigging under it that suits your use...

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 21DiamondB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:48 pm

If you start out with a fairly new boat with a solid engine, then they aren't money pits. If you start with an old boat with a junkyard engine, they are.
-------- 16.5 x 8 Diamondback - 632ci - Oxbox 2. 55 - Sensenich 5-Blade JX---------

ringneck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ringneck » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 am

mcm4 has it right.

New boat if you can, if not wait on a quality one owner rig WITH DOCUMENTS.

:texas:
16x8 AIRRANGER RHINO, LEVATATOR 450, CH3, WHIRLWIND 3B-80
Aircraft hand prop tractor, half guard old school survivor

mjo27
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mjo27 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:45 am

Anyone familiar with "Alumitech"? was thinking about following some of their options on "build your own boat"

kwowens1963
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwowens1963 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:02 am

Mjo27, never mind what blackdawg says, I dont think he meant it to be as a cynical reply, just take what he says with a grain of salt.

Now on to your question, I looked at the one just posted in Cleveland, and yes it looks like a pretty good deal fro the price, I run a 15X8 GTO with a stoker motor, and I love it, I do have the heavy saltwater hull so that I can run the Brazos and colorado rivers without doing too much damage. Do not think that a heavy hull with thick bottom cant get bent and beat up, because they can.

There are several great builders all over and especially here in Texas, i.e. American airboats in orange, they build a great boat, Alumatech, Diamondback and GTO, the latter are all located in Florida.

It comes down to money and what you are willing to part with and settle for, I have personally owned 5 airboats and I agree with the others, buy new from the get go and you will never regret it, rebuilding someone else's boat can be a very expensive endeavor.

I hope my 2 cents worth helps, I live up in the Conroe area, if you want to look at my GTO just to get an idea, drop me a PM and you are more than welcome to come up and take a look

KO
2012 15x8 GTO 383 Stroker, 3 blade sensenich
"Don't Stop Believin"
RRAA #007
BRAB #54

bonecollector
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby bonecollector » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:00 pm

You can get a new one built with a big block with a reduction unit and 4 blade prop built with the seating the way you want it cheaper than some of the used ones I have seen for sale. I have built and delivered a bunch of boats to Texas and have more headed that way. Just make sure whatever you get has at least 3/8 poly on the bottom and 5/16 on the sides with good usable power a lot of guys I have sold boats to had problems with their old boats running dry ground with the sand out there so power is a must. Make sure whoever builds it has a good warranty and will stand behind it if something does happen. I hope that helps
Sensenich, Ox Drive gear box dealer 386-279-3712

mjo27
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mjo27 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:03 pm

anyone familiar with "Lonestar Boat Works"?? They are out of baytown, TX and not very far from my hometown. They build boats from the ground up

ranger1424
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby ranger1424 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Had them put poly on one of my boats couple years ago, good job an price was right,

myronja
Southern Airboat Member

Postby myronja » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:31 pm

Yes they build them from the ground up and the motors they use the builder has a 2 year warranty and will stand behind it.
TAA-436
15' panther 350dd 72"x30 Flordia Paddle 40mph-sold
16X7 Air Ranger 383 stroker 2:1 belt 78" powershift 3/8" poly 58.8mph had to let out

JAL5
Southern Airboat Member

Postby JAL5 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:44 pm

mjo27,
I sent you a PM about a hull I have.
Jim
North Texas

ranger1424
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby ranger1424 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Was at Floral city yesterday shopping for new hull and said they are opening a new place in Orange Texas to start building hulls and complete boats, look at their website might have something you want, :stirpot: :toothy7:

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:50 am

mjo27 wrote:Anyone familiar with "Alumitech"? was thinking about following some of their options on "build your own boat"

I un an 18 foot Alumitech. I like it a lot. It does what I need. Came with the 496 levitator, 2.3-1 Century Reduction, counter rotating propellers. The only thing it won't go across is sand. Hit that coastal hard pack beach sand and you might as well be tied off to a tree.

Chaseh
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Chaseh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:52 pm

wal1809 wrote:
mjo27 wrote:Anyone familiar with "Alumitech"? was thinking about following some of their options on "build your own boat"

I un an 18 foot Alumitech. I like it a lot. It does what I need. Came with the 496 levitator, 2.3-1 Century Reduction, counter rotating propellers. The only thing it won't go across is sand. Hit that coastal hard pack beach sand and you might as well be tied off to a tree.

I figured that boat would be damn near unstoppable!

DynaMarine
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

AIRBOAT HELP

Postby DynaMarine » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:20 pm

16x8 with extra stringers and jacks/bracing and a 525hp LS3, taller sides, 3/8" poly and 5/16" on the sides with a simple rigging setup be about as inexpensive boat as I'd recommend for what you might expect it to do. It's at least a solid foundation. JMO

The more you want it to "do", the more motor/prop you might need and the more "stuff" you start adding to it to increase the weight (bowfishing platform, extra seating, shooting platforms,etc) the more motor/prop you'll need to keep the same or similar performance.
Shane Lavalette
President/Owner

DynaMarine Performance Boats
www.dyna-marine.com
shane@dyna-marine.com

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:42 am

Chaseh wrote:
wal1809 wrote:

I figured that boat would be damn near unstoppable!

I thought so too until I hit that hard pack wet sand. You would swear we still had the trailer strapped on the back.

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby KC5AKB » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Go look at KO's boat he has run lots of different stuff.
Heck buy the gas he might even take you for a ride.
Will be looking for you on the river KO / Brazos , Red or where ever
We might find you.
Later,
Ric
BRAB45 RRAB 17

robertb4wd
Southern Airboat Member

Postby robertb4wd » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:41 pm

If you are near the Beaumont area, I'd be happy to take you for a ride in mine. I have (as well as everyone who has rode in it) been very impressed so far. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

drake1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby drake1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Get you a mini. It would work great on the Colorado river. I have one that hauls 3 guys and gear pretty good with a little ol V-twin on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic3WVdhgkEA

Return to “Texas Airboaters”