New guy needing some direction

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Wade_660
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Wade_660 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong section (looked like the best one to me). I've been into mud boats for a long time and have recently decided to buy an airboat. I'm looking at automotive engines because I think they would be much easier to maintain (correct me if I'm wrong). My main concern is buying someone else's problems.

With that said.... Could someone point me in a decent direction on a boat type that will suit my needs. Mainly wanting a river running boat that'll seat 4. Will occasionally use it to hunt, but concealment won't be a problem. Would like to stay around 20k.

Thanks for any help y'all may be able to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: New guy needing some direction

Post by kwanjangnihm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Welcome to SA!

Best advice is to ride/drive a bunch of boats and make a decision based on which style you like.

Best advice #2 is take a qualified airboat person with you to test drive it and bring it to a qualified airboat mechanic to check it over!!

Be sure to run any boat an hour or more so operating temps can be checked.

Fill in your location and someone can recommend good mechanics in your area!

Good luck! :thumbleft:
:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Wade_660
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Wade_660 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:55 pm

I totally agree. Problem is, I'm in middle Georgia and an airboat is like a unicorn around here. My Main problem at this point is that I feel like I'm at the mercy of a seller, and that's not good.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:36 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:Welcome to SA!

Best advice is to ride/drive a bunch of boats and make a decision based on which style you like.

Best advice #2 is take a qualified airboat person with you to test drive it and bring it to a qualified airboat mechanic to check it over!!

Be sure to run any boat an hour or more so operating temps can be checked.

Fill in your location and someone can recommend good mechanics in your area!

Good luck! :thumbleft:

:rebel:

Great advice do not buy anything you can not run for an hour it will be junk. I have seen it over and over and over and have done it myself oh it looks great and they told me everything is perfect and they just put a bunch of money into it so it has to be good then you buy it and you'll post on here a tone of questions about the piece of junk you just bought. You can come down after lining up a few boats for sale to be looked at and simply get someone on here that knows what they are doing to go with you.
Example the last boat I bought rebuilt everything, new hull new rigging hell I think the only thing I have left of the original boat is part of the trailer part of the cage part of the engine yep did all the work myself at the tune of about 15 grand. Good luck. And do not trust anyone. Your budget should get you something very nice that needs nothing and has been taken care of or pass it up.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Water testing is a must. Can't tell you how many times recently, someone I know bought a boat after running it on the trailer, only to find it leaks and/or bucks like a bronco, and they end up selling it at a loss. If they are not willing to dump it in the water and ride it till it's good and warm, I would shy away from it. If you could ever plan a trip down here, I'm sure there's plenty of folks on here that could take you for a ride on different boats so you could get an idea of what suits your needs (myself included, but my boat is AC powered). Good luck and welcome to the site!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Wade_660
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Wade_660 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:57 pm

I appreciate the offer. I've got some friends on lake Seminole with airboats that have helped give me a start. This is the boat I've been looking at. Is anyone familiar with it?
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/5408021168.html

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Looks like a nice boat. Looks well maintained. Definitely want to check it out thoroughly, though. Make sure the bottom, transom, and stringers are solid and it runs well. Ask the ratio of the gear box as Caddys don't like to consistently run high rpms. A higher ratio can lead to catastrophic engine failure. I've been told it's better to run a 1.76:1 GB ratio on them (anyone with more knowledge of GBs on Caddys feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Ask the year model of the Cad also, and have it authenticated. Some models are certainly better than others. And definitely ride it for an extended period. As said, an hour of solid riding will bring forth most problems. With that said, it looks like a solid, well taken care of boat. Good luck and welcome to the addiction

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:32 pm

BTW, Wade, where are you located? I'm in Bonaire, GA, just south of Warner Robins. Maybe we can get together for a ride one day

Wade_660
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Wade_660 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:25 pm

The problem with this one is that the guy that owned it passed away and it's his family that is selling it. They know less about it than I do. It could be awesome or a total POS. They don't know. And I'm very familiar with Bonaire. I've always wanted to run my boat at the river where 96 crosses. I live in Pike county, about an 1:15 nw of you.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:53 pm

Wade_660 wrote:I appreciate the offer. I've got some friends on lake Seminole with airboats that have helped give me a start. This is the boat I've been looking at. Is anyone familiar with it?

The only thing that is scary that I can see is the engine only has 2 hours you need to run it for a period of time it looks nice and I am more then sure they have a lot of money in it. Do the normal checks and run it or pass. You are in the right price range for a nice boat.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Wade_660 wrote:I appreciate the offer. I've got some friends on lake Seminole with airboats that have helped give me a start. This is the boat I've been looking at. Is anyone familiar with it?

looks like a nice clean boat, but not one i would recomend. stick with chevrolet if you want a car motor. cheaper parts, longer lasting, easy to build up.

look at this one off SA classifieds. http://www.southernairboat.com/classifi ... -boat.html

this has some things you should pay attention to. chev 383 is a good airboat motor but have it checked out before buying. 2.68 box would be great, you should be able to run dry with the boat loaded. aluminum hull is more duerable then fiberglass, and i think will last longer. all three of these items have their supporters and naysayers, but this is a good combination. you should be able to find something like this less then 10 years old, very clean, straight bottom and low hours on the engine for what you want to spend. when you get it, be very careful, easy to get carried away and slide sideways into a tree or bridge...we want you around for a few years of airboating. welcome to SA. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Wade_660 wrote:The problem with this one is that the guy that owned it passed away and it's his family that is selling it. They know less about it than I do. It could be awesome or a total POS. They don't know. And I'm very familiar with Bonaire. I've always wanted to run my boat at the river where 96 crosses. I live in Pike county, about an 1:15 nw of you.

Lot of logs and stumps there, but a pretty ride from there north. Since the river flooded, who knows what it's like. It's ever changing. No sand bars to stop at on that ride, though, til you get to Bullard Rd which is about a 20 min ride. Even prettier from Bullard to my camp on Bond Swamp refuge. We usually put in at Spring St in Macon and ride south. Lots of places to stop when the river's down and good fishing. Also, we ride the Oconee out of Milledgeville. Much prettier ride. There are more of us Airboaters in middle GA than you might think. As for the boat, the only thing you can do is get a knowledgeable person to meet you down there and check it out. The add said Cocoa. There are certainly members who are listed from there and surrounding areas.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Welcome to SA. Lots of good info here. I sent ya a PM.

csumner05
Southern Airboat Member

Post by csumner05 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Wade, Radtech is wright there is more boats around then you think. My son and I live east of Atlanta off I20 in Buckhead at Lake Oconee were we have a shop that we build boats and do repairs for people. If we can help let me know Curt at 706-818-5212

Wade_660
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Wade_660 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:55 pm

I don't work too far from you csumner. I cover an area in conyers on 138.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:37 am

PM if you need Caddy advice

csumner05
Southern Airboat Member

Post by csumner05 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 am

Wade I work in Covington for Newton Co.

Wade_660
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Wade_660 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:18 pm

I maintain the traffic signal on 138 in conyers. I've definitely moved past that boat I posted the link of. I got some pm's that brought a few things to my attention. I appreciate all the good advice here, I've learned a lot in the past few weeks for sure.

Return to “Airboat Talk”