Never heard of this.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Never heard of this.

Post by K-mac » Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 pm

Guy I know went fishin in his jonboat somewhere down south of lone cabbage.
caught a couple of catfish, and not wanting to clean them he threw them back.
Thought that he would just ride around a bit, and ended up hitting a sand bar
which stopped the boat, but not him. He fell into the front of the boat getting
banged up quite a bit. Regained his composure, and headed back.
He got to the house before his wife got home, but when she got home and
saw him looking like he had been hit by a truck she insisted he go to the walkin
clinic, who intern told him he had broken ribs, and a possible lung puncture,
and sent him to the emergency room. They fixed him up (broken ribs, and
lung puncture.) and sent him home. The next evening he was contacted by a
wild life officer wanting to interview him to which he said sure come on over.
After the interview, and inspecting the boat the officer gave him a citation for
not reporting the accident within 24 hours. Know no one else was involved in
this accident, no one else witnessed this accident, and except for the the
emergency room staff no one but he and his wife knew it even happened.
Am I off base here, or does this sound strange to anyone besides me?
PS. Hospital says by law they have to report all boating accidents. Also there was absolutly
No damage to anything except him. :scratch:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Never heard of this.

Post by lariat » Wed May 18, 2016 8:47 pm

I've heard of it. I have a friend who had a similar situation.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Wed May 18, 2016 8:50 pm

yea, it's true. big brother in action.

Hambone79
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hambone79 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 pm

http://m.myfwc.com/boating/regulations

Any accident with an injury has to be reported and I guess hospital means beond first aid . situation still sucks he was written a citation
Last edited by Hambone79 on Thu May 19, 2016 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac » Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm

What if you were to go to court, and being the only witness refused to testify? :scratch:
I mean the officer didn't see anything.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris » Wed May 18, 2016 9:07 pm

With so many hit and run situations nowadays I can see it as a way to possibly help find the parties involved but that's about the only way I could see that law useful ..... As for him getting a citation , that's just kinda sorry if it was his first incident I mean the guys hurt and got doc bills to pay why throw that at him too
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Wed May 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Know officers friend family never say anything.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Thu May 19, 2016 6:47 am

if no witnesses, I fell while washing my boat in the driveway - people talk to much :violent1:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Waterbugger » Thu May 19, 2016 9:29 am

Big brother enforces this; however you can thank two parties for this further invasion of your privacy. 1. The sue happy people in our society today who would rather walk around looking for something to cry about and sue over because they are too sorry to get up off their @$$ and go to work for a dollar. 2. The insurance companies who have transitioned from their original intent which was to collect enough $ from responsible individuals be savvy enough to invest and turn a good profit and due to the fact they had low risk customers they were able to pay out and still make a good profit. Now days partially due to the sorry sue happy crowd insurance has become something that the insurance COO's golfing buddy the State Senator mandates we must have (by law) and they just have so many policies and fine print they manage not to pay out or pay out minimally. Health insurance is the biggest of this latest scam. I found out because I commercial fish and I had to have a 9/0 hook that got buried into my bone in rough seas, the tip was stuck couldn't pop it through and cut the barb off like normal protocol. Went to ER had it surgically removed. The ER questioned me like a sheriff would regarding what/how it happened. Later on found out my medical insurance was suing my boat insurance for the medical fees. Since it was not an accident where the injury was caused by the boat being in operation the failure to report did not apply. Both insurance companies did advise me via letter and phone call from my agent that I am to report accidents to them no matter how minor and if there is an accident even a minor one with an injury that occurs while the boat is in motion an accident report from the appropriate LEO is mandatory. This is mainly to establish fault so the insurance companies can sue each other to further drive up the cost of insurance. Needless to say my insurance both medical and marine increased as did my business liability insurance who was brought into the mix later on because both of the other insurance companies saw a potential cash cow with them. Your insurance company (agent) is not your friend their goal is to con you to get more insurance so they can get a bigger commission each month and not return your phone call when something happens, well not return it until after you leave a message of the situation and they go find the appropriate fine print in your policy to tell you that because the accident did not occur at 2:00am on a Thursday and there were not 7 roosters crowing simultaneously within 3.5 seconds of the accident occuring your not covered. Yes I have a nationally known carrier with a 5 star rating, yes I pay for premium coverage (my insurance bill annually is just pennies shy of what my annual profits are) I will not mention the name of the company because on this forum you cannot say or even state true documented facts about a company without having the statement removed. Yes I have had a couple of positive experiences with getting equipment, vehicles etc.. replaced and it does happen that way occasionally but if you ever get into a costly situation you will have a totally different experience and see the "machine" in motion. Don't be surprised if you do not have insurance on your boat if the deductibles or percentage you pay for your hospital expenses is higher than normal. In the future insurance on your vessel will most likely become mandatory and not optional and it will be due to the health insurance companies having to pay out with no one else to sue to get reimbursement. Sorry for the long rant, but a lot of people fail to see where the ills of our society and the introduction of big brother into our private affairs truly come from, its not always just a political party or an individuals agenda, in this case it is pure greed.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu May 19, 2016 2:27 pm

" I will not mention the name of the company because on this forum you cannot say or even state true documented facts about a company without having the statement removed. "

This is NOT a true statement and does not represent the rules of Southern Airboat accurately or correctly.

You can post negatives of nearly any business with proper documentation. That documentation must,
of course, be a public record. Court decision/ record, Newspaper article about the subject, Hospital record. & etc..

There must be documentation so the idea of a documented case not being allowed to be discussed is patently false. Statements must be referential to the public record, not opinion.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Thu May 19, 2016 3:24 pm

so basically what he said was right? lol [just messing with u whitebear]

AceNtheHole
Southern Airboat Member

Post by AceNtheHole » Thu May 19, 2016 5:29 pm

K-mac wrote:What if you were to go to court, and being the only witness refused to testify? :scratch:
I mean the officer didn't see anything.
If the citation were for causing the accident, then yes, he could schedule it for court and plead 'not guilty'. It would most likely be thrown out for lack of a witness. But since the citation was for failing to report an accident, which he had apparently already admitted to while in the hospital, seems he won't have that luxury.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by dblj006 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 pm

that is the way they can see if the person was under the influence more than anything else
Broke.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:53 pm

unfortunately 99.9% of the gov goons will get you for what ever they can .

like someone already said "people talk to much" I'd image he and probably his wife told the hospital staff it was a boating accident then probably said to much again in the "Interview / interrogation "

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Thu May 19, 2016 7:33 pm

"people talk to much"

Gold, thats a proven fact. Over 80% of all the people in prison put themselves there by talking. I have had more than one old GFC officers told me most folks go to jail because they put them self there not through diligent and detailed investigations.

I tend to believe it.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Waterbugger » Thu May 19, 2016 10:16 pm

OK white bear so I can say that United Health Care went after Allstate and the only insurance company I have that has paid my claims without going after one of my other insurances is AFLAC?

You are 100% on the talk hence my previous comment on another post regarding a LEO at the boat ramp being such a great conversationalist until he cons the information out of you to enable him to become a novelist with a ticket book. You are 1000% right there has always been a fine line between right and wrong LEO's and criminals.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Fri May 20, 2016 1:01 am

You can say that but you also need to include the links to documentation proving it.

Waterbugger
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Waterbugger » Fri May 20, 2016 9:09 am

Ok well, I guess so we are PC you will need to remove it until I have a day with nothing better to do than look up my old hospital bills and correspondence from my insurance agent in my tax records from 2 years ago so I can attach them as a file.

Got a question though I have family who works in government agencies, and two who hold political offices. I have personally witnessed a local television interview with one of them and the local TV station edited out 75% of the video and put clips together to actually make it appear he was supporting a program he was against. If you had witnessed the actual interview and not the manipulated TV news version you would see just how bad the media manipulates and lies. JMO Funny you would allow a link to something like that to be counted as documentation of a truth. I understand wanting the paperwork to back it up totally get it, but just find it odd you would accept manipulated media footage as documentation of a true event.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 am

When I saw 'newspaper' in Whitebear's initial reply, I kind of cringed.
This is another instance where I can see both sides of the issue at hand, but don't have an answer.

Ultimately, the way I understand it, the issue comes back to potential liability. Nobody can be held liable for relating a matter of court record, it speaks for itself. I kind of doubt that this could be said for media sourced information.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

fladan
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fladan » Fri May 20, 2016 7:44 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:if no witnesses, I fell while washing my boat in the driveway - people talk to much :violent1:
X2

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear » Sat May 21, 2016 1:35 am

Here is how I understand it. If it is a link to an of site formal document or documentation, then its not your words as a member of SA, it is their words. As mentioned above its a liability issue. It has nothing to do with whether it is true or not.

I too have seen first person how the media, especially news media, skews facts and even produces lies from true and factual events. I have also seen media personnel actually try to create an incident to back up another story they had broadcast. Seen it first hand. I can go for hours on this sorry state of affairs.

As for SA, I could care less about politically correct, but I do care greatly about SA and its health. We have a one of a kind online presence here, it is unique in all the world, and has more information in one place on Airboats then any other repository on the planet, anywhere.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sat May 21, 2016 8:41 am

Whitebear wrote: . . . We have a one of a kind online presence here, it is unique in all the world, and has
more information in one place on Airboats then any other repository on the planet anywhere.
If anybody attempted to claim that this was not true,
it could only be because it was an under-statement of the fact. :salute: :usa:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts » Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 pm

The boat should've never stop that fast anyways unless the engine was locked down which is a bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Sun May 22, 2016 7:18 am

Power trim keeps my 175 mercury locked down. I have had real fast stops with it.

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Guts » Sun May 22, 2016 10:05 am

With your 175hp engine are you in a boat that you can get thrown into the front of the boat, or behind a steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Airboat Talk”