New to air boats

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Merwin
Southern Airboat Member

New to air boats

Postby Merwin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:26 am

so I live in mich.And looking to buy an air boat. I have never owned or operated onbe. I will mainly use it in a shallow river but also on snow and ice
some fishing but mainly just pleasure I am thinking 12 to 14 ft. So aluminum or glass hull pros/cons and motor aircraft or auto
Pros/cons I am mechanical so i will do my owen maint./repaires thanks for the help.

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New to air boats

Postby 406 JAMIE » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:06 pm

welcome to the sickness lmao our northern buddy. :rebel: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:00 am

Merwin wrote:so I live in mich.And looking to buy an air boat. I have never owned or operated onbe. I will mainly use it in a shallow river but also on snow and ice
some fishing but mainly just pleasure I am thinking 12 to 14 ft. So aluminum or glass hull pros/cons and motor aircraft or auto
Pros/cons I am mechanical so i will do my owen maint./repaires thanks for the help.

I do not run over rocks so the hull choice I would have a hard time with I am sure either way poly is a good idea but as far as engine for a large boat car engine for a small light boat a 4 cylinder ac engine pe90 would be great. That's just two good choices I have seen run.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:35 am

If your thinking about running on ice or water with ice adrift that takes a heavy duty hull. Those boats are made differently than a standard ride boat. I suggest you research some of the Alaska postings and use the search feature to gain some insight. You can PM the poster and gain a dialogue talking to someone who actually runs or builds boats that see such an application. Alumitec in Orlando Florida builds the Alaska boats for a fabricator named Skip Olsen. He is a legend in the Alaska airboat community and the guy to talk with before spending any money. His boats run automobile power run thru gear drives with big wide props. This is a specialty application and the wrong boat will get someone killed.

bigkavr
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby bigkavr » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 am

Merwin,

I live just south of you in NW Ohio. PM me and I'll give you the lowdown on what works and what doesn't in the Northern environment..
As soon as you said ICE, the price just went up for your airboat. I guarantee that if you try to cut corners on what you buy, it will come back to haunt you.
Ice is concrete to an airboat, and unless that airboat is properly designed and built for that type of environment, it will fail. Not "it might fail"; It will fail!!
welcome to the group, you're gonna have a ball....

Bigkavr

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:34 am

There you go! :cheers:

poppey99
Southern Airboat Member

Postby poppey99 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:41 pm

I also live in Michigan and run airboats!!! I'm from just south of Lansing area, where are u located!??! I'm a rep for boats here in the northern states n can get u anything u need or want for airboat. Pm me n I can talk to u about what u would want or what ur looking for a boat!!!! Welcome to the community!!!!!

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:30 am

If you decide to go new it would be wise to research the potential builder either with GOOGLE, here or even the FB version. A sort of background check if you will. There have been quite a few that have been taken advantage of and taken huge losses.
Broke.

Return to “Airboat Talk”