supercharger

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

supercharger

Post by fanofthesimplelife »

My father is considering a supercharger for his boat but cant seem to find anyone to give him a quote the boat is a 14ft diamond back with a water thunder ls3 he contacted water thunder but they didn't give him a price does anyone know who would install one and a ballpark price thanks!

swampjunkie
Southern Airboat Member

Re: supercharger

Post by swampjunkie »

There may be a reason that Dave did not give him a price? If I was doing any
Adds to my motor I would want the guy who built it to do the work. Dave ran
a supercharger on his ride boat for a little while until he sold it. It is not that
Dave does not understand super chargers or nitro.! Might be part of the story
Missing?

swampjunkie
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swampjunkie »

There may be a reason that Dave did not give him a price? If I was doing any
Adds to my motor I would want the guy who built it to do the work. Dave ran
a supercharger on his ride boat for a little while until he sold it. It is not that
Dave does not understand super chargers or nitro.! Might be part of the story
Missing?

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dirtman »

I would image quite a lot would have to be changed on that engine to bolt on a supercharger and have it live. First the pistons would have to be changed out for something lower in compression then probably a cam change and maybe some head work in order to make it all work. It isn't just a bolt and go.
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

fanofthesimplelife
Southern Airboat Member

Post by fanofthesimplelife »

i saw the messages im not doubting water thunder love the company but Dave just asked questions on the boat and never responded so i dont know what happend and im not sure if anything has to be changed thats why he contacted water thunder wanting a price.

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 406 JAMIE »

Dirtman wrote:I would image quite a lot would have to be changed on that engine to bolt on a supercharger and have it live. First the pistons would have to be changed out for something lower in compression then probably a cam change and maybe some head work in order to make it all work. It isn't just a bolt and go.

X 2 on all that needs changed.pulleys,cage,all new program for computer,basically a complete tear down of motor and maybe a gearbox change.

Y all besafe out there. :rebel: :rebel: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

I spoke to him and we texted a few times. There is so much that should be done to do it correctly. The compression needs to be lowered, the cam must be changed, and on the S/C motors we run 4 hole wrist pin oilers in the pistons not to mention coated pins. Its just not cost effective to do all of this to a existing motor. If he had a lighter boat that seated 3, You could get away with it but but its ragged edge. With a bigger boat that seats 4 or more your pushing to many envelopes if your running any type of boost to make it worth while. I have 3 people wanting to do this the only way I found for a Average size and weight boat is to order a new set of raw heads and set the chambers to 78cc's this will get you to 10to1 compression which will live on pump gas making mild boost. Currently the biggest chamber of a LS head is 72cc but if I get them raw with a unfinished deck I can make the chambers near 78cc. And no you cant just run a thicker head gasket that will kill the quench and cause detonation.
THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316

Return to “Automotive Power Only”