No Alternator Juice

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
LJohnson
Southern Airboat Member

No Alternator Juice

Post by LJohnson »

My alternator isn't producing any electricity, not sure if I have it hooked up wrong or what. I got it new from the auto parts store and it's been almost 2 years but I'm just now trying to figure it out. Do alternators have to be "self-exciting" for airboat use? If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.
220GPU, Big-O Hull

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: No Alternator Juice

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

LJohnson wrote:My alternator isn't producing any electricity, not sure if I have it hooked up wrong or what. I got it new from the auto parts store and it's been almost 2 years but I'm just now trying to figure it out. Do alternators have to be "self-exciting" for airboat use? If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.
I just went through this take it to an alternator shop to have it converted to a one wire alternator if you bought it from autozone. There was never a one wire alternator setup on any cars so it has to be converted. There may be a YouTube of how to do it.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

I doesn't have to be self-exciting, but it does need to be wired correctly.

What does it fit? What kind of connections does it have? And how is wired now?
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 90chevy396 »

there is a gm 1 wire alternator you can buy directly from advance or autozone :toothy7: which only needs the bat positive to operate correctly

part number P7127SEAV from advanced auto parts
list price is $60.39 with a 1 year warranty but i am sure you could find 1 with a better warranty just interchange that part number
then comes the fun of bracketry unless someone has already made a bracket for that alternator to fit your application

on my mud truck I built my own with black iron pipe and 1/4 steel plate in order to relocate it to the desired location on my engine
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

I don't remember the part number, but Advance also has a one wire alternator. Check it closely, mine had an "extra" loose.bolt under the fan that worked its way out on the first run. Cost me a blade.
Mark 7:9

stonny9
Southern Airboat Member

Post by stonny9 »

A shop could easily do it. My bro in law had it done last year but don't know where. Found out it wasn't charging after they got home from the 2nd or 3rd ride and then realized why.

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw »

MY Cad 507 has a self exciting one, it starts charging with a little tap on the throttle... got it from Binnets but, don't tell them it's for a Boat they won't warranty it :)

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

For the money it's hard to beat a GM 7127 internal regulator alternator but that series needs you to fab a small jump wire only about 2 inches long (cost $1.00) which runs from the terminal of the battery power point to the spade of the internal regulator. It self excites and has an output of 63 amps.

PONTOON your Branch engine runs the simple 7127 which cost about $40 with lifetime warranty.

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw »

:scratch: ha ha there aint nothing simple about that bad mama jama 507 brother LOL!!!

LJohnson
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LJohnson »

Thanks everyone- good info to know.
I'm just starting engineering college so I think I'm gonna try to do the conversion for fun, and to learn something new :thumbleft:
220GPU, Big-O Hull

Swampbuggy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swampbuggy »

All you need is a one wire chevy alternator

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

You may only need a (good, intact and working) jumper wire on what you already have.
It's impossible to even guess, without knowing what type/flavor it is.

It has been said that 'a picture is worth a thousand words.'
In this case, it could be worth the cost of any replacement alt that you don't need.
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Deano is spot on a pic is worth 1000 words.

If you have a self excite single wire you may need nothing but a jumper to touch the spade to wake it up. Self excite single wire units work off a magnetic field and if it has sat without power or use for an extended time it is possible albeit remote, that it will not wake itself back up as the alternator has lost it's magnetic strength.

If this is the case the remedy I was taught on the single wire GM 2 spade conversation where they put the black rubber plug where the automobiles plug would fit, is to take a jumper wire from the alternators battery feed lug and jump to the "R" terminal for a second or two while running. It instantly should wake it up.

(The 4 pin self excite requires caution! I'm told it will "light ur azz up" with 110v but I am not an expert) On those they jump to the tach pulse P spade for just an instant and sparks fly.

Disclaimer: Seek professional advice I'm just a DIY airboater with a 50 year old engine.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

I may not be psychic enough to identify this unknown alternator, but I am
psychic enough to see Swamphunter's engine as being only 40 years old. :D
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Yes, Deano you are correct I forgot the 542 technically is a late model...lol

Let me guess the striations block was the give away!

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”