Jagd Terrier (German hunt terrier)

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Jagd Terrier (German hunt terrier)

Postby lariat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm considering getting one of these dogs for hunting off the boat. I don't know much about them, so just wanting to talk to a few people that may know something about them, and if they would make a good boat dog.

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Jagd Terrier (German hunt terrier)

Postby blackpowderscout » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:58 pm

They are kinda rare. I'm not sure what they'd bring to the table that other more common breeds you see on boats offer.

There's dogs that are just as gritty, have just as good noses, and hunt as good that won't break the bank.

I'm a catahoula/Florida cur/bulldog man myself but different strokes for different folks.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:04 am

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 am

blackpowderscout wrote:They are kinda rare. I'm not sure what they'd bring to the table that other more common breeds you see on boats offer.

There's dogs that are just as gritty, have just as good noses, and hunt as good that won't break the bank.

I'm a catahoula/Florida cur/bulldog man myself but different strokes for different folks.

I am a cur guy myself, but just had to put my one that hunted the boat with me down, so I was just thinking about possibly trying something different and smaller. I have 3 more curs, but they are all gun shy.

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:10 am

I have a friend that is really into those German breeds. He had a Jag but said it was demonic. He's got a Drathar now that is a pretty damn good all around dog. I think it'll hunt anything from birds to hogs. Very smart breed that flat out hunts. But $$$

NRA Life

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:11 am

Hogs that we been getting seem to be evolving into a bigger tougher animal. Lot of talk on DNA and some fellow in Arkansas releasing Russians and another strain that have cross bred into the standard feral hogs we are used to. I don't think I would down size nor put out a dog that was not fearless at the catch. My friend only pack hunts now, to many dogs tore up around Perry past year.

Heard a rumor UF was collecting wild hog hair to monitor DNA for these foreign species, anyone participate in this effort?

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:38 am

Around 45 years ago we traveled to North Carolina and bought 1 boar & 3 sows that were pure Russian blood.
Piglets were born with the chipmunk stripes and turned silver/black when maturing.
Crossed them out with piney-wood rooters in the area. Some escaped and the bloodlines spread out.
Our property at the time was north of Lake Hancock and up Saddle Creek. Heard tales of some bad mofo boars years later.
Not sure if any of the bloodlines still remain, but we still see the chipmunk striped piglets from time to time.
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:03 am

I think they would be a great boat dog! My buddy just bought one a couple months ago, she's 7 months old now, took her hunting on the buggy a few weeks ago for the 1st time. She winded several deer from the buggy, and we were lucky enough to shoot a buck, turned her loose, she latched onto the bucks throat for all she was worth. There's no arguing their tenacity, plenty of videos showing them catching some pretty rank boars. An added plus, is due their size, you could carry 2 of them for every 1 normal size dog. All personal preference, but I think they would be ideal on an Airboat, especially if weight or room is a concern.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:11 am

Yeah, but that video shows the problem with them little dogs. They are too small to stop one. Those penned hogs kept running. It'd be a looong race in the wide open when they got their Nike's on. No thanks.

NRA Life

clownpuncher321
Southern Airboat Member

Postby clownpuncher321 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Have a few of them..two adults and some up coming puppies. While im a cur man myself ill tell you what, the male has no bay no back up and go he will catch any hog! As far as hunting we run em with cur dogs if he gets on one will catch it and thats enough to slow it down for the big dogs to get there or run two or three together and your set..He rides on lap in the buggy boat what ever firm believer in them little fellas

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”