Affliction Airboat Experience

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Southern Landman
Southern Airboat Member

Affliction Airboat Experience

Postby Southern Landman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:38 pm

I ordered an Affliction Airboat from the owner, Jeff Love on August 18, 2015. I have a mutual friend who also ordered a custom airboat from Mr. Love 1.5 years prior. He was told that it would take 3-3.5 months from start to finish just like he told me. It ended up taking Affliction eight months for my friend to get his boat and I just passed 15. I hope I do not experience the same dieseling issue or high engine temps (running at 210-220 degrees) like he does to this day. Prior to me ordering, I asked Jeff why it took nearly three times over projection, he answered that my friend still owed a balance at the time of delivery.

I thought if I paid Affliction 100% in the 3-3.5 months it was supposed to take (estimated build time) that I would not come across any issues like my friend experienced. I WAS WRONG. Jeff said my hull would take approximately 10 weeks to get back from his providor from the time of purchase. The hull ended up taking 41 weeks from the order date, right along with spotty communication and many lies. I called the manufacture of the hull several times to find out Jeff hadn't placed the order or put any type of deposit on the hull until February 2016. It also took Jeff several days to pick up the hull once he was notified that is was ready June of this year. So where did my 60k go until then? One of the first conversations I had with Jeff said he would take many photos and text them as the build progressed. I did not receive the first picture until June 2016. It has been like pulling teeth for him to send photos which tells me he is hiding something or telling another lie. Jeff's words exactly... "Man I'm working on getting it done getting text and fricken phone calls from you and Doug isn't speeding $h|t up I'm done being stressed over this $h/t send me your routing number I'll send you your money and sell it to someone else". Received on 8-26-16 via text.

Jeff allowed me to choose trailer rims from a link he texted just after I placed the boat order. I texted him my selection and his exact words were... "I got your wheels coming for the trailer. I'm trying to get everything here so when the hull gets done we ain't waiting on parts. If it's possible for you to get by the bank today or tomorrow that would help out" on 9-3-15. This was just after I put down a 30K deposit on 8-18-15. He didn't actually try to order my rim selection until July-Aug 2016. Come to find out they were discontinued per another vendor and he told me the ones he ended up getting were a close enough match when they look like nothing I picked out. I was not able to discover this until I visited his shop in Debary, FL on 8-10-16. I spent an additional $650.00 on hotel and flight costs to check the status of the boat in person. I was fed up with his lack of communication and had nearly been a year since I ordered the boat. I was promised many different delivery dates in writing as follows... (1st was 3-3.5 months from order date, 2nd middle of January 2016, 3rd end of April 2016, 4th June 10 2016, 5th End of August; he told me he would see me in Texas 2.5 weeks from the day I left his shop).

To this day I still don't have my Affliction Airboat. I've tried posting a similar review like this on Facebook just a few weeks back to warn those who are in the market for a new boat think twice before they end up in the same situation with this company. Jeff found a way to delete his Facebook reviews and threatened to take away my motor upgrade he gave me at no additional cost back in June 2016 for him feeling bad that I was having to wait so long. He is also requesting that I am to pay for the hydro turf deck matting he had installed in September for the same reason. His exact text message read...

"Thanks for the review bud. So if I'm giving you about 3500 in extras and free labor an engine upgrade to try to make up for the fact I'm so far behind. Does that make me stupid. Or should I just put the 540 you paid for on and keep the 582 since obviously there's no way I can make you happy at this point... The 540 will be here Wednesday I'll get the engines swapped out and you can worry about the pedestal seats and battery charger and the rest of the stuff you wanted done. Also the hydro turf is 1160.00 it needs to be paid for before the boat leaves my shop"

His staff sent this next message via email on June 7, 2016...

We are doing our best with the dead line you have giving us, However we have been experiencing some problems with the engines and have changed engine builders the new motor you'll be receiving is 582 with a 3 year warranty. Unfortunately the delivery date of the new motor is 06/16/2016 and the is the date which you needed your boat.

I had to cancel many planned trips involving the new boat, not to mention I have no current means of duck hunting. This post in no way, shape or fashion is discriminatory towards anyone or any company, it is solely my experience witty affliction and 100% true facts.

Jeff, please, please may I ask when you will deliver the boat you promised me 11 months ago?

SR

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Affliction Airboat Experience

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:56 pm

You never posted how much you paid or pictures of your receipt? They will probably take your post off seen it in the past. Sad to hear your story but have heard of this same thing. Always protect yourself with receipts and documentation like a work order. Where is the builder located?

Southern Landman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Southern Landman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:07 pm

The invoice is attached. Paid 60K in full.
Attachments
IMG_5105.PNG
IMG_5105.PNG
Invoice Attached

Southern Landman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Southern Landman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Page 2 of 2 (Invoice)
Attachments
IMG_5106.PNG
Page 2

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:58 am

You are certainly suffering an affliction.
Look on the bright side...even at $10/lb for duck meat...once you get your boat, you'd only need to shoot 6000 lbs of ducks to break even.
Last edited by glades cat on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:11 am

Don't take this wrong but you paid 60k to some small outfit airboat builder that was fing stupid. You could have gotten a gto decked out for that price.

Krahammer
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Krahammer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:19 am

There are some really good commercial litigation lawyers in Volusia County. Sue him.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:20 am

Hope that was not your OX Box that recently was stolen ?????

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:28 am

I just looked at their site, they build nice looking boats but look like a very small outfit so time times three is what I would expect going into that but paying 100% up front is still stupid.

Southern Landman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Southern Landman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:02 am

Ox box stolen? Don't know about that. The boat is supposedly still in Florida and has yet to be in my possession.

Ya, I definitely regret paying 100%. Like I said this is just a post for others to learn from my horrible experience.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:05 am

Southern Landman wrote:Ox box stolen? Don't know about that. The boat is supposedly still in Florida and has yet to be in my possession.

Ya, I definitely regret paying 100%. Like I said this is just a post for others to learn from my horrible experience.

Are you saying it is done?

Southern Landman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Southern Landman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:55 am

It was about 85% finished in early August when I visited his shop. From what I hear the engine builder was going to Florida once it was water ready to fine tune it. This is the first engine from this new company Jeff started using. From what I understand he has still not coordinated a date to run it with this engine builder.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:56 am

find a crackhead and offer him a couple 8balls to 'get rid' of the guy.

Southern Landman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Southern Landman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:26 pm

That won't be the case. Just want the boat I was promised. Anyone else had similar issues with this company?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:38 pm

There was a posting on here recently by the business that they were broken into and an 2.38 ratio Ox Drive was stolen. Not sure what else may have ended up missing but the Ox caught my eye because it's a ratio I like.

Most posts in regard to these types of matters get removed fyi Rick and Bear have a real fine line on this type of discussion but you appear to have offered up some interesting documentation.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby akblackdawg » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:04 pm

with small companies, they often use your money to pay their own past due bills for other builds and other expenses that they have incurred. Anybody doing this with a company that needs cash flow during the build needs to set up a payment schedule with them ahead of time, paying a percentage as the boat reaches specific construction stages. Hull, stand, seats, motor, prop etc, and should always tell the people that the last 25% of what is due will not be paid until construction is done, you have had a test run and take possession of the boat. I've made mistakes like that in the past, and have learned, just learn from this screwing and next time use a good lubricant,
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Let's just keep the threats & tough talk out of it and this thread will stay for now. That's what sends most of these kinds of threads to "Thread Heaven".

60K is a lot of money. Hope it all works out.

Rick

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:49 pm

Yes there is a Balancing act between deposit and final build delivery of a turnkey boat, Mr Gerald Newoldglory knows good and well about this and suffered quite a bit, still has many revisions and repairs to cure on his investment, I also suffered the loss of 30 years of what I felt as family based relationships with the original builder(s) of his boat, very saddening but I'm moving forward and thankfully excelling in bids on new boats and repairs.
I never finish anyth,,,.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:32 pm

A system of deposit and draw (payment based on progress) is the only reasonable way to protect your self and even then your hostage to the builder. Best thing is do your homework and avoid the assholes as Tony would say...lol

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby CarMotorBarge » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:19 am

Southern Landman wrote:That won't be the case. Just want the boat I was promised. Anyone else had similar issues with this company?

Yes, lots of people have had problems. Seen multiple posts on SA about problems with him. He seems to have a gift for taking advantage of Texas airboaters. He is probably using a new engine builder because he is behind payments to the previous. Your hull took a long time probably because he is behind payments there also. It is harder to find a new hull manufacturer than a new engine builder. Harder to switch hull manufacturs. Not many hull manufacturers and word gets around. I wish you luck on your build.
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:27 am

CarMotorBarge wrote:
Southern Landman wrote:That won't be the case. Just want the boat I was promised. Anyone else had similar issues with this company?

Yes, lots of people have had problems. Seen multiple posts on SA about problems with him. He seems to have a gift for taking advantage of Texas airboaters. He is probably using a new engine builder because he is behind payments to the previous. Your hull took a long time probably because he is behind payments there also. It is harder to find a new hull manufacturer than a new engine builder. Harder to switch hull manufacturs. Not many hull manufacturers and word gets around. I wish you luck on your build.

There are some pretty good laws in Florida for that fraud but looking at their website I believe he is going to get his boat 60 grand puts a guy in jail I am sure they do not want that.

jscott
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jscott » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:47 am

I would be at his shop getting my money back. As simple as that.

Love
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Love » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:53 am

Good afternoon boys. Let me fill you on some things that this boy has left out. One my company is very small. My husband is the one and only person that builds these boats. We did get a little ahead of ourselves last year and took in more boats than he can handle. For that we apologize. He truly is doing EVERYTHING humanly possible to get everyone everything they were promised. Second. Sean has left out a few details........he has been to my shop and seen his boat. Where he stated that it was the baddest boat he'd ever seen and Jeff could take all the time he need. Meanwhile adding more parts and fabrication which adds more time. He also left out the part where he gave my husband a design and measurements for a hideous light bar he wanted. Jeff tried to tell he the problems with it ...he insisted! So we had the light bar made. AS WE KNEW! IT'S HIDEOUS! What Sean needs to realize he's not a designer. Yet another thing Sean left out was he's getting a 5000.00 uparade on his motor for NO CHARGE and that was done by my husband in the beginning of the build because he knew it would be better for him. As for the comments about my husband being a rip and we're so terrible to all THE TEXAS AIRBOATERS is simple not true or fair to myself,my company and mainly my husband! Lastly Sean knows exactly why his boat is not complete. We are now having the correct light rail made and then he'll have his boat . I'm sure he won't post any pictures of it though because then everyone would see that this post is a bunch of crap! See its been our experience that he and his friends whom obviously can't afford one of our boats only post crap post when they're sitting around drinking and dreaming of the day they can be big boys and buy one of my boats. So there you have it! Both sides!! Hey have a great day Yall and Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas everybody!!

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:18 am

Well this situation sucks that's a lot of money, but there are a couple lessons for people to learn form this post

1) Your deposits and a 50% completion or 75% completion draw should not total more then 40-50% of the total price , the remaining balance of 50-60% is paid on delivery. Builder will finish faster because they want to get paid! Maybe 20 years ago you mite have been able to take people at there word an pay up front but there are very few that you could do that with today.

2) Written Contract with deadlines and penalty clauses few every day or week over due . Builder will want to finish on time to avoid loosing money and a written contract defines exactly what is to be done and in what time frame.

3) If your having this kind of problem and the builder ask for routing number to send your money back, take the 100% refund and find a different builder or order all the stuff yourself like he is doing.

4) in this case it sounds like you should have asked for your money back if not gotten immediately, then file a police report for the fraud , followed by a civil action

5) a company say the reason for it not being delivered on time being a light bar the customer wanted was hideous (so what) should not have any effect on being finished & delivered when it was supposed to. The invoice showed roughly a $3700 discount now its $5000 according to the builder this sound fishy. The bottom line is the customer actual paid 60K and has the invoice but no boat just excuses why its not there. Ok so what if builder took more boats then they can handle building that's fine it's simple either hire more people or cancel some orders with full refunds. Bad mouthing customers saying they can't afford it when they get upset with builder but apparently can afford boat since the customer paid for it already is really bad business practice. Personally I always know there are two sides to every story but after seeing the builders BS post :violent1: :violent1: , all I can say is the builder wouldn't want me on a jury.

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Love
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Love » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:24 am

You are absolutely correct. However we are a small company and we simple do not have the overhead to pay for them . And my husband is one of those guys that you can take at his word and this kid has an amazing boat with every one of his titles. He can come get it anytime he wants. He also has a ton of pictures which it seems he forgot to post. He is welcome to head to Florida!

Return to “Airboat Talk”