Hunting and airboat

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
Hayforsale1
Southern Airboat Member

Hunting and airboat

Postby Hayforsale1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:35 am

Hello I live in the central Florida area and was wondering if you can hunt hogs and deer from an airboat without dogs? I'm also looking for an airboat that's around 13' feet and can run dry with 3-4 people dry and how much it would run$$$$? Thank you

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Hunting and airboat

Postby jopete » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:37 pm

sure u can, just run them over till they stop moving. it's done all the time. google it. :)

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:04 pm

jopete wrote:sure u can, just run them over till they stop moving. it's done all the time. google it. :)

"joepet", ain't that called road kill but in the marsh? The good thing about hogs are that they don't have many blood veins and do not hemorage bad. :lol:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:56 am

Hayforsale1 wrote:Hello I live in the central Florida area and was wondering if you can hunt hogs and deer from an airboat without dogs? I'm also looking for an airboat that's around 13' feet and can run dry with 3-4 people dry and how much it would run$$$$? Thank you

Saw your post of looking for an airboat. For what you want it will take around 15 grand for a used boat but as for hunting hogs as road kill you had better get to know the area you will be in and learn the boat you end up buying first or we will read how you ran up after a hog but ended up getting a tree stump.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:07 pm

I was 'hog hunting' with my first car motor boat and ended up on top of a shopping cart in the middle of the marsh. $2300 later it was good as new!! lol

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:40 pm

We carry pistols for reasons when out and about running! Never know what you might jump a good hog.
12x7'6" American Airboat
1.4L GM Ecotec - Stock Turbo
2:1 Century Ecotec Drive
80" 2-bld WW Stump Puller
"Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

Hayforsale1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Hayforsale1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:40 pm

br,lc,LA wrote:We carry pistols for reasons when out and about running! Never know what you might jump a good hog.

how often do you jump hogs?

grouper41
Southern Airboat Member

Postby grouper41 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:00 pm

You will get a ticket if you shot a hog with that boat running if you get caught

grouper41
Southern Airboat Member

Postby grouper41 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:00 pm

You will get a ticket if you shot a hog with that boat running if you get caught

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Yes you will get a ticket from shooting any game from a running vehicle.

Hogs and nutria are nuisance species now so be-friend a GW! Lol
12x7'6" American Airboat

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Hayforsale1 wrote:
br,lc,LA wrote:We carry pistols for reasons when out and about running! Never know what you might jump a good hog.

how often do you jump hogs?

Never with the intent to puposely run them up! My boat is new and never seen blood. I am speaking for those that i know that do it. I have jumped a few out riding along with nutria, raccoons, and even a bobcat... not fun when a coon or bobcat jumps toward the boat.
12x7'6" American Airboat

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Here i believe the law is if forward motion. Weather your motor is on or off is not relevant. So if your in your truck or boat coasting it illegal. Also So if your running the marsh with intend of jumping hogs its illegal will be call herding or corralling.

From FWC page
Illegal firearms and ammunition are defined as centerfire, semiautomatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds, and fully automatic firearms. Other prohibited methods for taking game include shooting from a moving vehicle and herding or driving game with a vehicle.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Hunting

Wild pigs are legally defined as wildlife and are the second-most popular, large animal hunted in Florida (second only to the white-tailed deer).

On private property with landowner permission, wild pigs may be trapped and hunted year round using any legal to own rifle, shotgun, crossbow, bow or pistol. There is no size or bag limit, and you may harvest either sex. Also, no hunting license is required. A gun and light at night permit is not required to take wild hogs with a gun and light on private lands with landowner permission.

Florida's Limited Entry/Quota Hunt Programs offer quality public hunting opportunities and prevent overcrowding, while controlling the harvest of game on wildlife management areas.

On wildlife management areas (WMAs) Not a Mobile-Enabled Link, hogs may be taken during most hunting seasons, except spring turkey. But, if it's during archery season, you must use a bow - during muzzleloading gun season, you can only use a muzzleloader. You need a management area permit and any other necessary permits to hunt wild pigs during particular seasons on WMAs - where on some, daily bag limits on wild pigs do apply, and on a few, there's even a minimum size limit on what you can take. On wildlife management areas, you may not use a gun and light at night.

I do not see anywhere that you can not run over a hog or hunt off your boat for a hog it looks to me that all they do not want is for you to transport any live wild hogs. They are not game they are a nuisance animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcczJYK9p70 Looks like fun to me.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:23 pm

The moving vehicle still applies and or they may say your were herding. So if your circling or chasing it thru the grass that would be herding. They also have a low opinion on hog so they may look the other way on this subject but the law is there.

Return to “Hunting & Fishing”