High School Airboat Build II

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Re: High School Airboat Build II

Postby Rick McC. » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Very nice, Sir!

I noticed the holes in the cage tubes in your latest pics; I'm surmising that the cage wires are to go through them?

I've not seen a cage design like that before, and I imagine that it'll provide a very clean look.

I think for northern ( or any) boats designed for 100% freshwater use that'll be fine.

Since I'm a Florida native whose airboat is used 100% in saltwater; I'm guessing that's why I haven't seen such a cage design before, even with the 100% stainless rigging that's used down here.

Anyway; it's a very interesting and unusual design feature that I've never seen before! :thumbleft:
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Duece » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:12 am

Love the conduit bends in the cage. That looks so much better than when they cut short pieces instead. Good work!

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Rick McC, thanks for your comments. The holes are there for the wires. Once they are in place every hole will be welded shut top and bottom. John Hagen from Onalaska, WI makes his cages this way, they are called a "HAGEN CAGE". They look very nice when done but they are more work. I don't know why they would not be used around salt water but I don't know that much about that area of the country.
Thanks Duece, I will make sure that I tell the guys in charge of the J Bars.
I will try to post more pictures tomorrow.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 pm

CWAIS wrote:Rick McC, thanks for your comments. The holes are there for the wires. Once they are in place every hole will be welded shut top and bottom. John Hagen from Onalaska, WI makes his cages this way, they are called a "HAGEN CAGE". They look very nice when done but they are more work. I don't know why they would not be used around salt water but I don't know that much about that area of the country.
Thanks Duece, I will make sure that I tell the guys in charge of the J Bars.
I will try to post more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for the explanation! I'd never seen or heard of that before.

"I don't know why they would not be used around salt water but I don't know that much about that area of the country."

Because with any opening; salt water will find it's way in, and eat the steel away, from the inside out. Until you've lived it; you can't believe it. When living even close to the coast down here; even the fog and dew has salt in it.

I fought rust for years on my second airboat, replacing the engine stand, and never ending paint, coat, cut and replace parts, etc. on a conduit cage.

Now (except for the engine) if it isn't aluminum; it's stainless, on any airboat I have.
Rick

rdb
Southern Airboat Member

Postby rdb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 am

What kind of bender did you use for the hoops and js?

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:45 pm

The lower part of the cage got finished up ( cut , bent , drilled , coped and welded up ). Top mounts for the rudder rods were welded up. Bottom mounts were lined up and tubes tacked in place.
RDB - I put some pictures of our jigs, crude but they work! The big loops and the T-Bars were bent on a bender from Harbor Freight. We made extensions so it would move the rollers out making it easier to put pressure on the bends. You can buy the extensions but we looked at the picture and made our own grid to proportion out measurements. It was one of the first things my beginning welders got a chance to weld on this year, not perfect but it worked well. The J Bars we just cut the shape out on a piece of 3/4" thick board and then put sides on it so the pipe would not roll off. The last jig is used to keep all the holes in the J-Bars at the same angle. Hope this helped.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Excellent work and engineering of jigs and such, Sir! :thumbleft:
Rick

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 pm

I know it's been awhile but it's just bad luck or maybe good luck, depending on how you look at it. Three days of ACT testing, two snow days and the last five days trying to get my heart rate to stop falling. I've always run in the low 50's and sneak into the 40's at times. The last couple of days "31", not where I want to be!!! You don't want to here this stuff so moving on. First year welding students started machining so they are making up the rudder bushings. The cage handles and support pieces are welded up, large pieces of wire are cut for the cage. Cat walk on the trailer is ready to weld up. Engine is all welded up thanks to Mike Ives from Wyocena, WI. Started putting the engine back together then broken bolt in the engine case. Got the bolt out and start putting it back together again. Can not find freeze plugs guess we are going to have to make them :banghead: .
Hope to get on here a little more often.
Thanks Rick McC

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Dirtman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Always love to see the progress that you and your students are making. Just make sure you take care of yourself too. You are making a difference in these kids lives so you need to make sure you are there see them through.
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Dirtman wrote:Always love to see the progress that you and your students are making. Just make sure you take care of yourself too. You are making a difference in these kids lives so you need to make sure you are there see them through.

X 1000!
Rick

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Got a few more things going; pulling the main wires on the cage , both the side guards are welded, both heads are ready to go, bongs are welded up on fuel cell top. Oh and the ends for the bottoms of the rudder rods are welded up

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 am

Was you able to fix the block?

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:42 am

Gary, we think the case is good to go now. The two case halves are put together and ready for the heads so hopefully this engine will get put together this week.

Arnaudd
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Arnaudd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Magnificent!! Know you the weight of elements? The hull(shell)? The chair engine? The cage(goal)? The engine? Continue pleasant to look!!!

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby yobee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:23 am

Awesome job teach' and kids!
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 pm

No weights for you (Arnaudd) at this time. Engine is going back together, redrive is on, valve covers need to go on and then it will be put back on the engine stand to test run. Wires and wire holes are getting welded up and cat walk should be done tomorrow.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Well we will try putting this thing together again. Not sure on setting these valves since they are hydraulic lifters. We are thinking 3/4 turns past 0 lash.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:42 pm

I don't know if this will work but here it goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5MQqAd8O8

It has a little light popping from the exhaust that I 'm thinking it needs the muffler or something for back pressure.
It will run for about 3 1/2 minutes and then it just stops. I need to pump the throttle, choke it and it fires up and dies. if I do the same thing again but hit the throttle it will run for a while again. We are thinking carb problem floats?????? any ideas it has a new carter fuel pump?

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:40 pm

CWAIS wrote:I don't know if this will work but here it goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5MQqAd8O8

It has a little light popping from the exhaust that I 'm thinking it needs the muffler or something for back pressure.
It will run for about 3 1/2 minutes and then it just stops. I need to pump the throttle, choke it and it fires up and dies. if I do the same thing again but hit the throttle it will run for a while again. We are thinking carb problem floats?????? any ideas it has a new carter fuel pump?

Check the fuel pump pressure against the max fuel pressure allowed for the carb.
Rick

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Couple more things got done this week, the cage is done except for a couple of light mounts, all the pieces for the steering crank are cut (some are welded) , steering stick is done (and mounted) and the throttle pedal is welded up ( bolted in).

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Postby CWAIS » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 pm

The crank is all welded up and bolted in the boat. The cage is back on the boat but we are short two rubber blocks for the small loop ( my mistake ). The prop went on short two bolts ( my mistake needed two packs and I got two packs but one set of bolts LONGERRRRRRR). Tomorrow we should get the steering rods done, well we hope anyway.
Can anyone give us some quick information on the rudder tabs, as you can see they are two different rudders. One tab in the middle and one tab down lower, these tabs used for stabilizing the rudders to relieving torque, right????
Can we just take them off or should we take one off and match it to the other????

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Coming along real well.
Leave the tabs on and relocate to match. They help trim the rudders.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:00 am

I think I would make them both like the upper one. Boat is clean looking, should be a A for all and the teacher.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 pm

Can anyone give us some quick information on the rudder tabs, as you can see they are two different rudders. One tab in the middle and one tab down lower, these tabs used for stabilizing the rudders to relieving torque, right????
Can we just take them off or should we take one off and match it to the other?

The tabs are there to compensate for the boat pulling to the left or right. Some boats don't need them and a lot of boats run only one.
If the boat runs straight when you take your hand off the rudder stick then you're good to go, (that's if the tabs are straight). If it pulls to one side bend the tab until it runs straight. It may take several tries to get it right.

Great job on the boat for you and your crew. :thumbleft: Keep up the good work!
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Duece » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:01 pm

skinnypockets wrote:Can anyone give us some quick information on the rudder tabs, as you can see they are two different rudders. One tab in the middle and one tab down lower, these tabs used for stabilizing the rudders to relieving torque, right????
Can we just take them off or should we take one off and match it to the other?

The tabs are there to compensate for the boat pulling to the left or right. Some boats don't need them and a lot of boats run only one.
If the boat runs straight when you take your hand off the rudder stick then you're good to go, (that's if the tabs are straight). If it pulls to one side bend the tab until it runs straight. It may take several tries to get it right.

Great job on the boat for you and your crew. :thumbleft: Keep up the good work!

Can't you do this w/the boat on the trailer though? If you give the boat throttle and it pushes the rudders one way or the other, bend the tab the opposite (or so I thought).

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

Return to “Airboat Tech”