Paint

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
riverrat1
Southern Airboat Member

Paint

Post by riverrat1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:10 pm

what kind of paint dose ever body use inside the boat , and where can you get it along with webbing paint.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Paint

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm

On fiberglass boats it is usually a gel coat and the "spatter" is sprayed in after it dries. Usually a marine fiberglass vendor can assist you with the supplies. Gel coat can be a little testing a lot depends on the weather as it uses a hardener. Get extra Acetone if you decide to use gel coat to help with cleanup.

I sure can tell you that you don't want to try a gel coat project in love bug season. Back when I was a youngster I did a small hull one morning and about 1/2 way through a swarm of love bugs came up and stuck all over that white gel coat material.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Post by Scotty1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:24 pm

:rebel: US COMPOSITES was about the cheapest place I found to buy materials (gelcoat w wax for curing and webbing solution for the webbing pretty easy to spray it. :rebel: LIKE THE MAN SAID PLENTY OF ACETONE HEAVY ON THE WAX ADDITIVE AND LIGHT ON THE HARDNER

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:35 pm

I and others have had great success with NASON FulThane 2k Urethane. There are threads here already where that was discussed. It's made by DuPont, which may be the better way to Search for it here. :dontknow:

I don't remember where you're at (I'm thinking semi-local ?). Automotive Paint Supply used to have a shop in Inverness where I got it, but they have since closed that store. They currently have stores in Ocala and Leesburg where I get it now. If you are elsewhere, it is likely available at any automotive paint supplier. It is very durable and comparatively affordable compared to the alternatives. http://www.apsocala.com

As far as webbing solution goes, I always buy that at Quality Marine Surplus in Homosassa (352-628-7678), although it can be ordered online from many sources.

If you do opt go with gelcoat, another good (non local) resource is US Composites who has anything you may need. http://www.uscomposites.com/
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:44 pm

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: RE: Paint

Post by pontoon outlaw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm

riverrat1 wrote:what kind of paint dose ever body use inside the boat , and where can you get it along with webbing paint.
I use regular car paint

Sent from my E6833 using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

riverrat1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by riverrat1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks guys

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 pm

That love bug cluster **** was a lesson !

Return to “Airboat Talk”