Do I go back to DD or get a Reduction ??

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Do I go back to DD or get a Reduction ??

Post by Fire805 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Good day people.. don't know if this is the right place to be if not please direct me,I'm new to this forum and airboat world ....let me get to my conversation I'm on a small town FD in which we have a river running through it with a lot of tubers ,we were given a cotton mouth airboat with dd blade set.bad motor We need a new motor .we have a .chevy 350 short block but now I'm not sure what blade set to put on it????? Do I go back to DD or get a Reduction ??
Any help would be appreciated ..
Thx Fire850
:old_glory:

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Rotator Aircraft Gear Box SALE!!

Post by ffjpowell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Welcome. Pics are worth alot to see what u are working with.
What are the plans for the boat.(rescue ,recovery,patrol or PR) What is ur FD budget? Reduction is the best option but comes with a price. Most likely will need to reconfigure rigging or get new. How bad is the current? Water depth? Typical running conditions? Driver SOG's/parameters? These are just a few questions and concerns that will need to be addressed. Further info will better determine the route u want to go. Sniper on here runs a rescue boat and will be able to provide further info and details. Be safe

Sent from my SM-N920P using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

Live today like theirs no tommorrow.

New build on the way!!!!!! Stay tuned.

J. Powell

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 pm

How much length does it add, do you end up with a 540/520 that's longer that GSO 480 w/ the factory gearbox? I had one of those, you couldn't haul it in a short bed pick up without the tailgate down! Also, I'll be the one to ask. will a 520 survive at 3300 rpm?

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am

hey thanks for the reply our budget is pretty much all donations..so in a nut shell not much..but we do have a little cash saved up .The boat is mainly going to used in low water conditions basically to get our medics to a call,current slow lot of sand water to low for our prop boat,i do have pictures of the boat not sure how to post them?

rick
Site Admin

Re: Do I go back to DD or get a Reduction ??

Post by rick » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Here's those pics...
20170711_170111.jpg
20170711_170120.jpg
20170711_165926.jpg
20170711_165934.jpg
20170711_170009.jpg
Rick

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ffjpowell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Due to the sand and current and load with medics i would definitely go reduction unit. But that will make u change ur rigging. Looking at the pics with just the one seat it shouldn't be that diff. Many builders can do it. Just call around for pricing. You will most likely need a diff prop as well. Both prop and reduction can be found in classifieds section on SA.

J. Powell

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:05 pm

ok you say to change rigging ?? build a whole new motor stand / seat mount or rebuild what i have?

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ffjpowell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:45 pm

If it were me and in the budget and it being a rescue boat per say i would def like to know i had new rigging n motor stand under my rear for the safety of the crew and potential victims. But i understand a tight budget so just do what u can with the $$ y'all have and put the safety options 1st on the list.

J. Powell

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:59 pm

Ya we all want to be safe ,thats #1 ..i guess i not sure where to get or plans for new rigging or modification to what we have....if i understand the rigging part it has to be modified for motor and prop ..on the old prop i only had about i believe 38in (have to look at my paper)from center of motor to hull..so if i add gear reduction and new blades im going to have to raise motor and move forward about 20in??..

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ffjpowell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:03 pm

Most likely. U will most likely have to haul the boat to some builders and get some prices and see where yall r at from there. Where are u located?

J. Powell

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Van Meter ,Iowa

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ffjpowell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Oh boy. Lol. U know any good fabricators? U have a mini template from ur rigging n stand now so will just have to use his skills and make them bigger for the new prop and added length for the reduction unit.

J. Powell

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:13 pm

lol ya not to many air boats up here.... i could probably round someone up ,we have a new local fabricator in town ..good thing about that he,s my brother in laws nephew...???? wish i could see a boat like ours already set up ..

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by ffjpowell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Sent u a pm with some pics. Let me know if u got it. Here is one as well.

J. Powell

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:14 am

Very nice boat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:56 am

Fire805 wrote:Ya we all want to be safe ,thats #1 . . .
Fire805 wrote:ok you say to change rigging ?? build a whole new motor stand / seat mount or rebuild what i have?
As much as I hate to sound pessimistic, the realist in me feels the need to point out the obvious . . .

Rebuilding what you have should not be viewed for a NY second, as a viable option. Your department is very likely better off w/o a piece of equipment that is feverishly awaiting its first opportunity to amass a bunch of liability that you don't need and/or want. By the time you build a new engine stand to accommodate a gearbox, the seat package is a down hill run anyway.

The other obvious need to point out, is that a cage with no wire only adds weight. It provides no useful benefit. That one in particular should have an additional hoop as well.

The expenditure required to turn what you have, into what you envision in your minds eye, is in all probability more than you think.

It is generally more cost effective to find, and then buy a suitable boat than it is to build one. You have a hull, seats, rudders and a gas tank; beyond that you need an engine, gearbox, prop, rigging and all the fun stuff to connect them. Unless your definition of ". . . we do have a little cash saved up" is radically different than mine, you may be hard pressed to justifiably split that difference.

Again, I'm not meaning to sound negative, or be a killjoy. My only intent was to provide a realistic assessment that (in my opinion) this thread was heretofore lacking.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 am

hey thanks for the reply that's what i want is honesty thats why im on this forum is for all the expert help i can get..so we have priced a motor chevy 325 hp 350 for $2500.00 new skin on bottom of boat for $2300.00 ruff idea on gear box and blades around $5000.00 so right there is $9800.00 so do you thing we could get a boat all ready for around that? and that is with out new rigging??

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 pm

As Deano has pointed out, if your FD is actually in need of an airboat you would be money ahead to sell off what you have for what you can get out of it, and add it to the $9800 you are expecting to put out for repairs, then have a couple ol'fashioned community fundraisers before you know it you would be in a position to purchase a decent gearbox boat for $15k ......... Keeping in mind $15k will not get you the pimped version but will not be the hooptie - whip either....
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:38 pm

thanks for the feedback i'm leaning in that direction you guys have opened my eyes and have given great information..we don't really need anything fancy just need to get up the river

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 am

ok let me throw this out ..I know everyone has said to ditch the old boat basically ..But with the money i have available i can have a new skin and motor same rigging and reuse the prop doing the DD and not reduction ..then maybe make it usable see if it works then maybe sell it and move up..Thoughts ??? im really relying on all your inputs .

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 am

You will never see your recent "Investment / Repair " costs back out of it.
Not trying to bash or be a downer, but you would be better off having a cocaine hooker invest $5k for you.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 am

Ok understand..thank you for your help again ... I'll take it to the board .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:19 am

Fire805 wrote:ok let me throw this out ..I know everyone has said to ditch the old boat basically ..But with the money i have available i can have a new skin and motor same rigging and reuse the prop doing the DD and not reduction ..then maybe make it usable see if it works then maybe sell it and move up..Thoughts ??? im really relying on all your inputs .
Although you seem to be coming around, you still seem hesitant to believe that Junker already outlined what is FAR AND AWAY the most prudent course of action for you to take, given what you realistically don't have to work with.

It is quite natural for you to have an unjustifiable soft spot for the boat in question because it represents a doorway for you to explore previously unavailable opportunities. You must bear in mind though, such a situation breeds over-exuberance (if left unchecked) and does not necessarily promote the rapid fostering of wisdom. :wink:

Many people here (including myself, Junker and a hundred others, I'm sure) were faced at some previous point in time with the same 'opportunity' you now have, but did not have the internet and/or the voice of experience available to share the reality (both time and expense wise) of what we were about to do. Consequently, many of us (myself, Junker and 99 others, I'm sure) are now older, far more experienced and wiser than back when we did that to ourselves and our bank accounts.

Oh, and in case you thought Junker's analogy was a little over the top, I would have to say that by keeping it clean, he may
have unintentionally understated the magnitude of the cross-threadedness such an attempted rebuild effort would represent.

In spite of your wanting to acknowledging it, you only have two option available . . .

You can either help yourselves, and Believe It Now . . . . . . 8)
or you can help the economy at large, and then Believe It Later. :oops:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Fire805
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fire805 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:36 am

Hey guys like i said that's why i joined this forum is to get the expert comments on this boat you guys are far more knowledgeable on this than i am and i am taking every bit of information to heart,I agree that it will be far more expensive on the rebuild (been sitting for a while)than maybe trying to find one for about the same money ready to go..like i said i'm going to the members and tell them the forum has shed a lot of light on our situation and has added a lot of GREAT advice...so with that in mind ...Anyone know of a good boat that would make a S.A.R. airboat for a small town here in Iowa.. dont want anything really big just something we can get up and down the low water ..
Bob FD 805
by the way this is a GREAT forum..you all are very nice and helpful THANK YOU..

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks Deano,
I almost did a David Whine on this but then realized Bob Fire805 also has Zero Experience!

Wow, it has to be a first asking about a Sar boat setup and silence from the Sar end on here?

Return to “Automotive Power Only”