Airboat curfew

Best airboat discussion on the internet.
k-dog
Southern Airboat Member

Airboat curfew

Postby k-dog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:20 pm

I live in NC and bought a airboat a few months ago and have spent hours looking on line for the answers. Is there a web page that tells the hours of operation for each county??? Only thing that keeps popping up is Orange lake I want to know about other county’s I plan on boating. Looking from Taylor County, Citrus, Brevard. Anywhere that bowfishing looks good And would be worth the drive down. Don’t want to get a ticket when your an out of towner it might be a good one. Any help would be great thanks in advance.

smokster
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Airboat curfew

Postby smokster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm

i think Alachua county is the only one with a curfew

InSight
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby InSight » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:12 pm

:florida: Citrus County, FL 11pm - 6am curfew
15' Diamondback, MAS LS3, OX BOX 2.55.1, 82" 3 Blade Sensenich JX, CCAA member

k-dog
Southern Airboat Member

Postby k-dog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Ok thanks for the citrus info and the alachua info they would make it more easy to find this info out like fishing and hunting rules. But I guess that would be to easy.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

East and west Lake Tohopekaliga in Osceola County has 11:PM curfew.

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

k-dog
Southern Airboat Member

Postby k-dog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 am

Anyone know about lake Kissimmee it looks like it would be good for bowfishing? You would think as long as you stay away from houses there wouldn’t be a problem.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 am

No curfew on Kissimmee, Cypress, or Hatch. Nice lakes for bow fishing and very few houses.

Do you plan on tent camping, renting a cabin or do you have a camper? On Kissimmee, the west side, Camp Mack or Grape Hammock are very popular. On the east side Joe Overstreet Landing is smaller but has good access to the Lake.

You said you recently purchased your boat and I'm wondering how much experience you've had operating an airboat. If you, (or anyone reading this post), are new to airboating, there's a couple important things I'd caution you about.

First, Florida requires a red flag on every airboat ten feet above the bottom of the boat.

Second, airboats and deep water can be very unforgiving. Over the last couple years we've had some bad accidents and loss of life from airboats sinking in deep water. When airboats go down they go down fast. Florida law does not require adults to wear life vests but require that you have one on board for each passenger. Believe me when I say you do not have time to locate and put on a life vest when that boat goes down. I highly reccomend you purchase and wear the self inflating life vests any time you're on the water. You can buy them online very reasonably.
Also, until you're comfortable operating that airboat, stay near the shore in shallow water. Very few airboats are designed for deep water.

Third, If at all possible, find someone to run with. A GPS and a waterproof phone, (or like I do, carry your phone in a zip lock bag), can be your best friend if you get into trouble. And let someone know where you're going and when you plan on returning. Kissimmee is a large lake.

Forth, always check the weather forecast, these lakes can get very rough in winds above ten MPH.

One more caution, fog can get really thick on the lakes this time of year so if you get caught in the fog and don't know the lake, your best bet would be to stop and wait for sunup.

I know this may be a long read but I don't apologize for it. If a word of caution saves one life it's well worth it! Be safe and have a good trip.

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

Capt steve
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Capt steve » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post your warnings. Advice we can all live by
100 ton master captain
Professional airboat operator
I made enough money to buy Miami,
But I pi$$ed it away so fast

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby unforgiven11B » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 pm

I have put in a lot of time on West lake bow fishing, Most done during the day so if you know what you are doing the curfews won't have any effect on your haul of fish.Storms on the lakes here can come outta no where fast so pay close attention to forecast, You seem unfamiliar with the Kissimmee Chain a second word of caution to you is there are fence post ALL OVER the damn place in lake KISS, East and West lake Tohopekaliga If you don't know where they are you can get into a world of sh@t especially at night , so I would caution you on running threw cat tails close to shore on them lakes esp
2007 16x8 DiamondBack 6.0L PCM 2:1 Ch3 Belt drive 80.25" 3 Blade Sensenich K series-

k-dog
Southern Airboat Member

Postby k-dog » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for all the great advice I look forward to making it down in the next few week or month. My boat is a barge it has 30 inch sides but those fence post don’t sound very good I would run and look around during the day and have a trail on my GPS for night time safe running. I also want to watch the Thursday night races while we are down. Do they run all year or do they have a down season?

Return to “Airboat Talk”