GPS systems HELP

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
BWXSTREAM
Southern Airboat Member

GPS systems HELP

Post by BWXSTREAM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm

ok so im looking for a gps with a larger screen like 9" or so and am also looking for something that dos not have a transducer and side scan and all that mumbojumbo all i want is a gps that can track me and leave way-points along with possible satellite imagery and or lake charts any suggestions this all needs to be downloadable mapping in case i get out of cell service lol sounds like a lot right :lol:

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Re: GPS systems HELP

Post by OneBFC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 pm

A whole bunch of apps on the playstore or Apple equivalent if you look there.

A tablet such as the Samsung Galaxy S2 or S3 series would work pretty well since they have pretty good sunlight readability and are AMOLED displays.

If you cheap out on the tablet, expect to have very poor sunlight readability as the main consequence.

Otherwise, just about any tablet will provide good navigational GPS mapping capabilities.

Good luck!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:35 pm

IF you find a gps depth finder that dosent have a transom mounted transducer, i like to know

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am

A few of us run MotionX on our iphones or iPads. http://gps.motionx.com/ (apple devices)

Link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69024

Also there are quite a few waterproof gps receivers with bluetooth to connect phones, tablets, etc.

just one example: https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail

Find a waterproof tablet with a large screen like One BFC suggested and use a waterproof gps receiver with bluetooth to connect! :salute:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

PAINKILLER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by PAINKILLER » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:07 pm

I downloaded navionics boating marine and lakes from play store its free for 15 days don't know what the cost after is you can plot a coarse and it tracks you along the coarse your on
1st Corinthians 13:4-5 :rebel:

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Why would it matter whether GPS has transducer and stuff for you don't have to hook none of that up for GPS to work and if you put screen on MAP page that is all you will see on screen. I have a Lawrence with around a 9 inch screen and it is great, easy to see, shows speed , logs trails with a line that you can follow back or later till its erased, shows constant long/latitude readings,etc. They have them on sale at bass pro and other places on a regular basis or you can pick them up used on eBay dirt cheap sometimes where fishermen have to have the newest thing.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:48 am

Best to learn the area you ride in and not be so dependent on something that could leave you lost if it malfunctions. JMO

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 am

OneBFC wrote:A whole bunch of apps on the playstore or Apple equivalent if you look there.

A tablet such as the Samsung Galaxy S2 or S3 series would work pretty well since they have pretty good sunlight readability and are AMOLED displays.

If you cheap out on the tablet, expect to have very poor sunlight readability as the main consequence.

Otherwise, just about any tablet will provide good navigational GPS mapping capabilities.

Good luck!
I've got a tab 4 from Samsung that I've got in a waterproof case that would work very well for this application. Any idea on how to mount it?!

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 am

Pretty much this company is the best on the planet for rigid mounting solutions.

https://www.rammount.com/

I would look at the marine mounts. I use both 1 and 1.5" ball systems for decades.

Use of doubled sided adhesive tape can make things easy to adapt to your exact device too. Recommend 3M 4949 or 4929. Be warned that tape is extremely aggressive and should be considered permanent in most cases. It's used to attach automotive body panels and a million other applications.
-Russ
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Any recommendation on apps. I'm an Android guy and there does seem to be a lot of options. I downloaded one to my phone and am going to check it out up in Citrus Co. next week.

Duece
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Well, I don't use any of the apps as I just use Google maps when I need to see where I am, etc.

I briefly used the Navionics app a few years ago and it seemed fine. Best bet is to look at app rating and number of installs and just try them out (if possible).

A 5 star rating with 1000 installs is not as good as a 4 star with 1000000 installs.
-Russ

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:23 pm

OneBFC wrote:Well, I don't use any of the apps as I just use Google maps when I need to see where I am, etc.

I briefly used the Navionics app a few years ago and it seemed fine. Best bet is to look at app rating and number of installs and just try them out (if possible).

A 5 star rating with 1000 installs is not as good as a 4 star with 1000000 installs.
I hear ya. Thanks.

Duece

Return to “Airboat Talk”