Cleaing Polymer

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Cleaing Polymer

Postby nebraskaairboater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 pm

My boat sat in the river for a while last year and it ended up with a build up of hard water minerals or something. It stuck to the poly on the bottom and the sides. I tried a pressure washer to remove it but it didn't come off. Has anyone had similar issues like this and what would be a good way to remove it? I ended up using a sander on one side but it dulled the poly bad. I will probably need to do the same on the other side just so they match. The sides are cosmetic but it actually built up on the bottom of the boat making it stick to the sand bad. It is rough where it built up. My dads boat sits in front of his cabin all summer so the build up is really bad on his.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 472 Cadillac/ 2.12:1 Rotator / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Cleaing Polymer

Postby Whitebear » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Typically white vinegar will either dissolve the minerals or help dissolve them. Get it by the gallon at the Dollar General Stores. IT works fairly slow and has to be kept wet but it generally will at least help. Try a 1-2 foot patch first to test before ya buy 10 gallons.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks for the advice... I will give it a try.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 472 Cadillac/ 2.12:1 Rotator / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:59 am

Run it across a sand bar.

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 am

that works on the bottom. I actually took my dads boat up and down a gravel ramp a few times. He didn't like me doing that but it did help. We both have poly on the sides of our hulls though with buildup that just looks bad LOL.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE

Return to “Airboat Tech”