Cleaing Polymer

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Cleaing Polymer

Postby nebraskaairboater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 pm

My boat sat in the river for a while last year and it ended up with a build up of hard water minerals or something. It stuck to the poly on the bottom and the sides. I tried a pressure washer to remove it but it didn't come off. Has anyone had similar issues like this and what would be a good way to remove it? I ended up using a sander on one side but it dulled the poly bad. I will probably need to do the same on the other side just so they match. The sides are cosmetic but it actually built up on the bottom of the boat making it stick to the sand bad. It is rough where it built up. My dads boat sits in front of his cabin all summer so the build up is really bad on his.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 472 Cadillac/ 2.12:1 Rotator / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Cleaing Polymer

Postby Whitebear » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Typically white vinegar will either dissolve the minerals or help dissolve them. Get it by the gallon at the Dollar General Stores. IT works fairly slow and has to be kept wet but it generally will at least help. Try a 1-2 foot patch first to test before ya buy 10 gallons.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks for the advice... I will give it a try.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 472 Cadillac/ 2.12:1 Rotator / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:59 am

Run it across a sand bar.

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:39 am

that works on the bottom. I actually took my dads boat up and down a gravel ramp a few times. He didn't like me doing that but it did help. We both have poly on the sides of our hulls though with buildup that just looks bad LOL.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE

Tortend
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Tortend » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:01 am

Most boat hulls, below the water line, are usually cleaned with a pressure washer. There are some rather harsh acid based cleaners that work very well at this task. However, because of the dangers associated with their use, I would not recommend using an acid based chemical.

Meguiar's #55 Polymer Sealant is available for boat gelcoats. From what I understand, #55 and #20 Polymer Sealant (for cars) are very similar, if not the same product.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 pm

Have you tried this:

Or this ?

"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Slidin Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Slidin Gator » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 pm

This is the stuff that I like, works way better than the CLR. Don't know about the Sno Bol. I live on well water so I have learned what cleans rust and calcium the best. We use this stuff in the shower, but it needs to be re-grouted every 10 years!

Years ago I had a 20 foot Aquasport offshore boat ("Knot A Clue" was the name). When it came time to re-do the hull I went after it with my sand blaster. Spent a week under her and got maybe 1/8th done. A buddy turned me on to sand injection systems for a water blaster. Rented a 5,000 PSI water blaster with sand adapter, 6 bags of sand and got the whole bottom cleaned up in an afternoon, all while wearing flip flops and sun glasses vs. all the sand blasting crap.

If you got poly on the bottom, you can hit that stuff directly with a water blaster+ sand set up and it will barely make a difference.

1989 I used a 5,000 PSI grit blasting system to cut 36" x 1/2" wall pipe in 1000 feet of water off California. We used 1/4" rubber to protect everything we didn't want blasted. The nozzle would cut steel like butter, but it just bounced off the rubber with no wear. UHMW is not rubber, but it is very wear resistant, give it hell.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540. A Bob Stossel original, still running strong.

Return to “Airboat Tech”