Oil cooler line sizes

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Oil cooler line sizes

Post by Dirtman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 pm

I went back and searched the past posts but didn't really find what I was looking for so here goes. I'm finally putting together my GSO540 boat and I don't know if I have messed up or not. I made up the oil cooler lines using stainless braided lines and AN fittings to get the look I was wanting but I started to notice that while the lines that came with the motor as it was removed from the aircraft were -12 lines most of the other boats I looked at have considerably smaller lines. I'm using a fairly large Hayden oil cooler which I'm sure is larger than the planes original one so I don't think heat will be an issue but I've started to get concerned about the large lines leading to either lower pressure or the flow through the cooler being too fast to cool the oil. Just looking for some solid input from the commenters
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Oil cooler line sizes

Post by Slidin Gator » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am

Your good, 3/4 oil cooler lines are larger than needed, but they won't have any negative impact on cooling flow or pressure, only positive. If you got the plumbing sorted out then run it. If you like fiddling then worry about it.

Good luck.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”