any built a dd sled ....in progress of finishing my just curious if they slide right with carmotor

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
benlane
Southern Airboat Member

any built a dd sled ....in progress of finishing my just curious if they slide right with carmotor

Postby benlane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:38 pm

:florida:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: any built a dd sled ....in progress of finishing my just curious if they slide right with carmotor

Postby Deano » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Given that it's proportionally larger to accommodate the extra weight it will be fine.
The hull design will have more bearing on how it slides than will the weight involved, provided it is big enough.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

benlane
Southern Airboat Member

Re: any built a dd sled ....in progress of finishing my just curious if they slide right with carmotor

Postby benlane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:12 am

Thanks deano.......hope it rides like it should have lot of time and money in it....build it super light all 1/2 inch rigging and 3/4 engine stand

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Postby Scotty1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:39 am

:rebel: how long is the sled and how high is your transom, also the width did you build the sled or what make all will make a huge difference. :rebel:

benlane
Southern Airboat Member

Postby benlane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:19 am

0701181138.jpg
Scotty.....12ft half deck 6 7 wide 13 inh trans ....did not build hull the titles a 1975.....

benlane
Southern Airboat Member

Postby benlane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 am

0605181212.jpg

benlane
Southern Airboat Member

Postby benlane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:45 pm

0803182011.jpg

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:52 pm

I did not mean to unintentionally give you a false sense of confidence, as it appears that I have.
Your question was completely generic, as was my response.

While I believe my answer was sound, I have to say that I don't believe 12 6 x 6 7 is proportionally larger.
At least not to the extend I was meaning to infer. Those dimensions and construction seem more like A/C territory.
I may be entirely wrong, but that looks like a long afternoon waiting to happen.

For a V8, 6 7 is a narrow hull, no matter the flavor. Have you test floated it as configured? How much does it draw aft?
It may be in your best interest for the gas tank and battery to be mounted forward.

I hope my concerns here are unfounded, but I could not in good conscience, avoid qualifying my previous post.
There are others here that will either confirm or deny my guesstimations.
It don't mean be sound pessimistic, just realistic.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm

Yah, Deano be right, just too gentle. That hull ain't made for a cast iron SBC. That is a 4 cyl Aviation hull. That hull was posted on some earlier threads trying to figure out who built it. Put a nice light AV 4 cylinder motor on that sled and she will slide like slime. Put an iron small block on and that anchor is taking that boat to the bottom.

Some local boys showed up at my shop last year with a boat like that with a DD 350 SBC. I told them to sell it. They sorted out the motor, took it out for a day and sold it off. Fast forward 3 months and they all seen it sunk in Lake O when running the mud boats. It sat for 2 weeks before it was hauled out.

If you put a SBC iron motor on that hull and run anything deeper than 6" off plane, you are going to need my emergency pontoon inflation system, just as soon as I come up with it.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Scotty1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 am

:rebel: I would have to agree with the Boys and say ,that is a disaster waiting to happen as soon as you put it in the water you will see what we are saying to heavy in the ass for shore. you would probably need a 13 to 14 foot sled with at least 7 ft 4 inch bottom and a 10 inch transom. just my thinking :rebel:

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Haha, yea you would have to have some serious stick time to keep that one off the bottom

benlane
Southern Airboat Member

Postby benlane » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:47 am

Run it sunday floats good about 4 inches from back deck and no leaks does alright

Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Scotty1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 am

:rebel: well that's great as long as you stay in shallow water you probably be alright ,but I would be nervous as heck in deep water just watch your back wash and your turns. :rebel:

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 pm

benlane wrote:Run it sunday floats good about 4 inches from back deck and no leaks does alright

benlane, I'm not trying to bust your balls hard here, but that is 4 inches from sinking. The thing is, what you have is a boat that is dangerous in deep water and just ok on the dry. The most positive response you have gotten is from flcracker9 and he is talking about a stroked SBC on a 12 foot hull (different animal) sitting in his back yard because he prefers to run the O-470 boat, look at his signature!

flcracker9 wrote:I have one sitting in the back yard that does it pretty good. I don't know the horsepower, but it's a home-built 385" SBC, stock Vortec heads and roller cam, 12' Big O hull with poly, 70" Q turning 2800 - 2900.

I don't know what the hang up is with ya'll car motor folks, AV engines are simple, folks in 1940 could figure them out and all. I have never worked on a simpler engine. We just bought a running O-320 for $1,500 this weekend to put on an 11 foot hull similar to what you got, but riveted PB style and a future deck over.

This O-320 makes 160 Hp and will edge out a run of the mill SBC 350 while hauling the cast iron and radiator weight difference. Leave all that iron on the hill and the O-320 slides like a dream. I mean it's like getting rid of a fat buddy and his girlfriend from the back seat! Stroke that 350 with aluminum heads and it will make a huge difference, but it's gonna cost way more than this sweet little O-320 and still won't be as light.

You will learn and ultimately go one of 3 ways:
1) Go with my suggestion
2) Stay DD car motor and get a bigger boat to get stuck all the time
3) Go whole hog with a gear box and hot rod motor with a huge prop and boat that won't fit down trails.

I don't need any more AV motor boats to compete with, but stay with either of the 2nd/3rd suggestions and you hunt with me, I need some more folks to cover the river!
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 pm

I understand where the OP is coming from. Looks like he's trying to work with what he has. Is that the ideal set-up...no. But lots of DD sleds that size have been built, and lots are still running around. Your hull is particularly narrow; which doesn't help things. But a 13" transom is deep for a sled, most are in the 8-9" range. I say if you have the guts and experience to run it, run it. We've had sleds in the past that had zero freeboard, so 4" ain't bad.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:03 am

Don't get me wrong, I like SBC motors for their purpose and understand the shoe string budget thing. I typically submerge a SBC every 2 years or so. My buggy 4.3 spent a lot of time underwater last year, this year I hope the new one does the same but just keeps running, we find out in 2 weeks.

My point is that $ for $, an AV motor is cheaper for the performance. Sell that 350 or put it in a mud truck. Put a motor that the boat was made for and be happy and dry.

Otherwise, it better run dry, it ain't no speck fishing rig. Don't let off the throttle until it's sitting on the hill.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 am

flcracker9 wrote:I have one sitting in the back yard that does it pretty good. I don't know the horsepower, but it's a home-built 385" SBC, stock Vortec heads and roller cam, 12' Big O hull with poly, 70" Q turning 2800 - 2900.

[quote="Slidin Gator"]
I don't know what the hang up is with ya'll car motor folks, AV engines are simple, folks in 1940 could figure them out and all. I have never worked on a simpler engine. We just bought a running O-320 for $1,500 this weekend to put on an 11 foot hull similar to what you got, but riveted PB style and a future deck over.

My boat is aircraft powered. The boat I referenced above is my Son's boat. The reason his boat is powered by a DD car motor is due to operating/maintenance costs. I know what it costs to operate and maintain an aircraft engine powered boat, and I am fortunate to be able to afford $5 per gallon fuel along with the oil that's required, and maintenance on an aircraft engine. My Son is on more of a budget, and his boat allows him to pull up to any gas pump and fill up wherever and whenever, and takes 5 quarts of oil to do an oil change, with no oil needed between changes. It also allows him to go to virtually any local auto parts store for parts, should something go wrong. He wants an aircraft powered boat, but it's like the old saying, "champagne taste but a beer budget". Sometimes operating costs outweigh the wants and needs.

That being said, my Son's boat is not a sled, and I'm not a real fan of DD car motor on a small sled. I have no experience with one, other than My Son's 2 friends, one who's boat turned over at the ramp as soon as it slid off the trailer, and the other that turned over in deeper water.
Last edited by flcracker9 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

benlane
Southern Airboat Member

Postby benlane » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:34 am

I like dd carmotor boats cheap to work on. ...ive built a pile of ac and geared and belt drives....for people if i had their money i would burn mine....this is not my first boat sunk them rolled them ....so this is the world im stuck in at least I'm having fun on a budget

Return to “Automotive Power Only”