New Boat Recommendations

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

New Boat Recommendations

Postby Duece » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Going to build another rig similar to what I have now (14'x7'6' Diamondback ZZ4 355hp/350 SBC 2.38:1 Stinger, 80" 3 blade NGR) only going to go with the 8' wide hull, a different engine and possibly a different prop. First for the engine. I love my boat, but it needs more power. I love the reliability of my old ZZ4. That thing can sit for months and then I go out and crank it and it purrs like a kitten. I would like to be able to run Kissimmee a little better as I've started to turkey hunt up there. We like to camp, so it would be nice to be able to pull up to the hill loaded with the camping gear, something that is NOT happening now. I know I know, Kissimmee is a different animal. Anyhow, not sure what engine to go with, been hearing many suggestions, and my builder (Diamondback) is also working w/me on this, but thought I'd put in some time seeing what others recommend. Have always liked Waterthunder's, but Pleasure Craft Marine, and Turnkey are some other names I've heard. I know the LS platform seems to be the new deal, but what about some other engines? Always been a caddy fan, and have seen some pretty rank ones in my day, but didn't know if 14x8 was too small for a big block. The Eco-Tecs had also piqued my interest some too, but I think my boat is much too large for that size motor.

Anyhow, on to the prop. I've had some issues with the hollow composite props, so I'd like to explore something different. I'm not opposed to going back with an NGR but I was wondering how a turbo warp drive would do. I've been told the thrust wouldn't be the best compared to the wider blades. How true is this? I know the snap would be there, but what I'm really interested in is a prop with minimal vibration that pushes like hell.

Anyhow, just trying to pick some brains before we begin the build process. Thanks for your time.

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New Boat Recommendations

Postby OneBFC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 am

Vibration can be balanced out or you can run the Saber / Razor style blades for better than warp drive performance at same smoothness (or better). if you want to improve low rpm thrust, configure the blades in a staggered arrangement like 3 groups of blades.

Nothing is as tough as a solid warp blade though. however I haven't found that too critical a feature over the years.

If you want to learn more about balancing the entire prop assembly Dave Simpson can talk with you about it. I recently spoke with him about his results balancing a super wide assembly and it came out silky smooth according to him.

Worth talking to him imo. Cost was very reasonable too.

Good luck with your new build!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Missfire
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Missfire » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Love my WaterThunder 418, 550 hp on a 14x8 Hamant hull.
Hamant 14 x 8
550hp Waterthunder
Buttrax seats
SeaDek
Oxbox 2.68
Sensenich 3 blade Jx 82”
Member Brevard County Airboat Association
And Kissimmee River Valley Airboat Club

CarMotorBarge
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby CarMotorBarge » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Missfire wrote:Love my WaterThunder 418, 550 hp on a 14x8 Hamant hull.

You had it dynoed?
14x7.5 Al David hull with 14 inch transom
419 CI Horsepower Barn LS3 with 2.88 Ox Box swinging 4 blade 83.5" R
GTO Rigging and B&S Tilt Trailer

Return to “Airboat Talk”