building an airboat as a school project

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
giheroca
Southern Airboat Member

building an airboat as a school project

Postby giheroca » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:25 am

At school my class is building an airboat and I am tasked with designing the rudders for the boat. My main question is wich things I should pay Attention to while designing the rudders. At the moment my biggest concer is, how do I determine the width height and lenght of the rudders. While im here i would also like to ask for some general tips concerning airboat construction.
we are using a repurposed hull wich is not designed specificaly for an airboat.
The motor is a buell 1125CR 146HP.
We are using a flottorp propeller model F1C7660-2 wich has a diameter of 1880 milimeters.
The hull itself is made of composite and the boat will weigh aproximatly 1200 (2645) to 1700 kg (3747 pounds) has a lenght of 6 meters and a width of 2 meters.

I am mainly looking for information on the rudders but any pointers tips or help given will be greatly apreciated.

I tried to add some pictures, first time doing this so i dont know if it wil work.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Re: building an airboat as a school project

Postby OneBFC » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am

Far too much weight for a 146hp engine. Hull appears to be rather narrow and looks to be a semi V design.

Your fully loaded and geared weight will exceed 4500lbs by my estimation.

Cut your "fully loaded" weight to a maximum of 1500lbs and then that 146hp engine will serve adequately if kept to the water.

My opinion only.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Muckduck
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Muckduck » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Russ’s opinion is good opinion. Here are some pics of rudders I recently built. Check out my Honda cbr build in the mini forum for more details and some overall build ideas and it probably only weighs about 350-400lb. There is a ton of work to mount a street bike engine on an airboat and to build a boat in general. I have been working on this for over a year for an hour or two most nights and a few hours on Saturday and Sundays. Not to discourage you but to help you set realistic expectations.
Attachments
24483E41-E1F6-4EFF-811A-25C16D51FFB8.jpeg
F0D658E5-BB28-45B2-89CC-60DC2CA3F47B.jpeg
C9C988F6-E29E-4B1E-B501-BCA0CE1A739A.jpeg
FF0ADC2C-1B79-4955-98BF-11B43BE5F192.jpeg

giheroca
Southern Airboat Member

Postby giheroca » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:46 am

OneBFC wrote:Far too much weight for a 146hp engine. Hull appears to be rather narrow and looks to be a semi V design.

Your fully loaded and geared weight will exceed 4500lbs by my estimation.

Cut your "fully loaded" weight to a maximum of 1500lbs and then that 146hp engine will serve adequately if kept to the water.

My opinion only.

Thanks for your reply we will work on cutting back the weight. cutting it back to 1500lbs however might be a bit difficult. Is it possible to upgrade the motor? If so how many hp would you suggest?

giheroca
Southern Airboat Member

Postby giheroca » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:57 am

Russ’s opinion is good opinion. Here are some pics of rudders I recently built. Check out my Honda cbr build in the mini forum for more details and some overall build ideas and it probably only weighs about 350-400lb. There is a ton of work to mount a street bike engine on an airboat and to build a boat in general. I have been working on this for over a year for an hour or two most nights and a few hours on Saturday and Sundays. Not to discourage you but to help you set realistic expectations.

Thank you for your reply. I have by now already found out building rudders takes quite some time and is not so easy as it seems.
also thanks for including your post together with the pictures i looked over it and think seeing the process will help out a lot. I do still have one question. How did you get the measurments of your rudders? I have done some searching on the subject and cant seem to find anything on how people decide how large their rudders will be. Again thanks for your help

Return to “Airboat Tech”