Will standard radiator hose work?

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Andrew511
Southern Airboat Member

Will standard radiator hose work?

Postby Andrew511 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 pm

I’m running a DD Chevy 350. Currently it has hoses that have wire inside the rubber. I’m having a hard time finding it with the wire. Can I run your standard radiator hose that any vehicle uses? I’m replacing due to several cuts in the hose that aren’t leaking yet but seem like a problem waiting to happen

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Will standard radiator hose work?

Postby southern safaris » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes , as long as the bends dont interfere or kink the hose to prevent coolant flow you should be just fine , I've used all sorts of hose over the years and found the marine coolant hoses to last a good while or standard pre-bent radiator hose and tubing connector or the like, i actually dont care too much for the coil type due to corrosion over time but thats just me , some folks down south dont run much coolant ,just water and thats not soo good on steel coiled wire inside the coolant hoses, just my two tarnished pennies worth
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
580-228-5782
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby southern safaris » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Just to clarify, the coil tubing i was referring to was the coil bare inside the radiator hose..... some have it molded inside the rubber and thats not a problem as coolant or water doesn't touch it ... not sure which you were referring i just didnt want to discourage you from getting the molded in type its been good to me
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
580-228-5782

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Hoses that have a exposed metal spring inside generally feed a suction side of the pump and were used to keep the hose from collapsing.

I can't advise you if you could get away without one on the intake to the pump you would need to try. NAPA has some really nice HD hose in bulk that the big trucks use they sell it by the foot. Only thing with using it is the connections need to be the same size diameter.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Use spring supported hose on the suction side if at all possible, the radiator is sitting 2-3 feet lower vs. the car/truck applications that the pump and hose was originally designed for, so more potential for collapse of the hose on an airboat. Run anti freeze and exposed springs will hold up just as well as the ones in your vehicles.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Andrew511
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andrew511 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Slidin Gator wrote:Use spring supported hose on the suction side if at all possible, the radiator is sitting 2-3 feet lower vs. the car/truck applications that the pump and hose was originally designed for, so more potential for collapse of the hose on an airboat. Run anti freeze and exposed springs will hold up just as well as the ones in your vehicles.

Where can I get that style hose? The local parts stores are telling me they don’t have it

Andrew511
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andrew511 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:02 pm

southern safaris wrote:Yes , as long as the bends dont interfere or kink the hose to prevent coolant flow you should be just fine , I've used all sorts of hose over the years and found the marine coolant hoses to last a good while or standard pre-bent radiator hose and tubing connector or the like, i actually dont care too much for the coil type due to corrosion over time but thats just me , some folks down south dont run much coolant ,just water and thats not soo good on steel coiled wire inside the coolant hoses, just my two tarnished pennies worth

Where can I get the marine coolant hose? Any marine shop? I think that’s what it has on it now

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby southern safaris » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Most marine shops have the reinforced hose and also a heavy truck auto supply, and as swamp and slider stated the coil spring reinforced if thats all your running is best for suction side , when i posted about the prebent radiator hose usually there a short section followed by aluminum tubing we make up thats most of the coolant tube so were talking about 6" of hose on the ends and aluminum tubing making up the rest
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
580-228-5782

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Any marine or heavy equipment/hose supply house should be able to set you up. Here are a couple of random links to show the general type of hose described. Note there is a minimum bend radius, if you need to go sharper than these hoses can go, you will need to get creative, I spend a lot of time in the back of the local Napa looking for a part that "Will Work".

https://www.abbottrubber.com/products/radiator-hose-wire-inserted

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Elite-58048-Wire-Reinforced-Straight/dp/B000FXUMI2
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Look for “wet exhaust” hose. I don’t know your location but it can be bought by the foot at GTO here. I just replaced all mine. It’s not cheap. My old hose was over ten years old. Had no problems but changed it before I did.

Andrew511
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andrew511 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 am

southern safaris wrote:Most marine shops have the reinforced hose and also a heavy truck auto supply, and as swamp and slider stated the coil spring reinforced if thats all your running is best for suction side , when i posted about the prebent radiator hose usually there a short section followed by aluminum tubing we make up thats most of the coolant tube so were talking about 6" of hose on the ends and aluminum tubing making up the rest

This may sound stupid but I’m just asking. The hose that I’m most concerned with is the one that goes to the top of the engine from the top of the radiator. That’s not the suction side as far as I know? Can I use regular hose for that? I price checked the reinforced stuff and I would prefer to wait until after Christmas to buy that but I will if I have to... or should

Andrew511
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Andrew511 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

barhopper wrote:Look for “wet exhaust” hose. I don’t know your location but it can be bought by the foot at GTO here. I just replaced all mine. It’s not cheap. My old hose was over ten years old. Had no problems but changed it before I did.

Well that makes me feel better that’s what I have on there and it’s only 4 years old. The reason I want to replace the top hose is due to some slices in it. No leaks but don’t want it to become an issue.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am

The top hose does not need to be reinforced, although it is preferable. Any automotive radiator hose will work.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”