Postby Air canada » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 am

Oh and post vids of water testing when you do wana see how it performs
:canada:

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Alaskan hunting Mini

Postby Jssflyer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Thanks Air Canada,
It’s a simonini 2. 26 h.p. Paramotor. Approx 140-180 lbs thrust dependent on prop and tuning.50 lbs all up with harness, prop, fuel, mount.
I am in the middle of tinkering.
I finished the rudder update yesterday. Went with a dual rudder set up. Took off the wire and cable, pull /pull system and replaced it with a push rod set up instead. Much less slack and play.
Adjusted the thrust angle to be 2* up. Previously it was 1.5* down. ( the paramotor mount had 3* down from factory)
I am really hoping that this will make the biggest difference in handling and speed.
Went back to the diaphragm carb. And all the changes that go with that. The bowl carb vibrated to much to be effective at high rpm.
Will be playing with a heater system today using a 4” marine in line fan to push air over the exhaust silencer and run 4” tubing to and from the cab.
As soon as it warms up a bit I’ll get out in the 5 hours of daylight we have left to do some more test runs.
Thanks for following the build ! I will be launching a website soon that will chronicle the whole build and more crazy D.I.Y. Projects.

Jssflyer
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jssflyer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:48 am

Test #2.
Hello to all. Got the mini out yesterday and had a great test.
Replaced the single rudder and wire pull, pull system with a dual rudder set up, with a push rod system. Much improved steering and precise control.can spin out , slide or carve as needed.
Went back to the diaghpram carb and got it tuned in to achieve full rpm. 6200 with 45” prop. 140 lbs thrust. Gets on plane(on snow) and stays ther at 50-60% throttle. Top speed on snow about 25.
Adjusted the thrust angle from 1.5* down to 2* up....wow, what a difference! Much better speed, much better handling and steering. Leaves a lot of left over throttle for steering , and I don’t have to weight shift fore and aft anymore. Gets on plane quick and stays there.
YouTube mini airboat test #2
Will be doing a nice video soon going down the sloughs and Tanana river. I am comfortable enough with the performance to take it out on water, snow, whatever. Feel I achieved 90% of my performance goals with this build, and answered several important questions for future builds.
Thanks to all on the site. Hope you enjoyed the build!

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am

posting the video! :salute:

water is a completely different animal :toothy7:

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

mad_mike
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mad_mike » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:49 am

Cool little build.
I saw that little boat getting owned by the terrain you were running. I won’t run if there is less than 3” on the ground. When I see winter running I am carrying traps, bait, and dead critters.
I run two boats in the winter. One is a heavy 16x8 car motor boat and the other is a much lighter 14x7 A/C boat. Both run snow at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, flat ground. The car motor boat is fun running in the half pipes that our deep banked creeks turn into with a bit of snow.
You have some skills! Your build looks well crafted.

Return to “Mini-Airboats”