Sled hulls

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Keeth1123
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Sled hulls

Postby Keeth1123 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:35 pm

What’s the reason to run one of them sled style hulls?
:old_glory:

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Sled hulls

Postby GMAC 76 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:04 pm

it is really hard to give a definite reason but if ya ever drive one (a good free running no hop rig) then you will know the reason....

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swamper2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 am

Number one reason to me would they don't collect a boat load of debris if you travel high vegetation even with a grass rake. It take a lot of time to remove weeds out from around all the rigging in a conventional hull.
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lilly-Pad » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:16 am

I think a free riding not hop sled is a sexy beast but I am partial
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 am

The true reason the south Florida style grass boats or "sleds" perform in virtually any terrain, when built for the area it is designed to run which is key, the width of the hull is measured by the actual footprint of the hull bottom, not the overall width of the rear gunwhales and the length, they measure from the chines, where the sides are bent, that and minimal taper of the hull, smooth transition rake at the front, proper transom "kickup" and a properly set bottom will allow a well designed boat virtually be on plane in a single hull length with minimal throttle need.
Now compare say a diamondback hull or a reputable glass hull, they are classified as say a 7'wide hull, but this is at rear gunwhale top measurement, if you measure at the chines, nope, you are lucky to have 6'4" of footprint at rear, and the taper of the boat is drastic, so consider how much throttle is needed to get this type of hull onto a plane, and to maintain a plane at low rpm cruise.
Rule of thumb, weight vs horsepower as in anything, it is 70% hull, 30% power for best result, you can have a bad to the bone powerplant and a crappy hull, you will wear out the powerplant having to push the crappy hull, or you can have a moderate engine and a free running and docile hull and not burn up the engine or the fuel for that matter.
Hope this answered the question.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:26 am

John Fenner wrote:The true reason the south Florida style grass boats or "sleds" perform in virtually any terrain, when built for the area it is designed to run which is key, the width of the hull is measured by the actual footprint of the hull bottom, not the overall width of the rear gunwhales and the length, they measure from the chines, where the sides are bent, that and minimal taper of the hull, smooth transition rake at the front, proper transom "kickup" and a properly set bottom will allow a well designed boat virtually be on plane in a single hull length with minimal throttle need.
Now compare say a diamondback hull or a reputable glass hull, they are classified as say a 7'wide hull, but this is at rear gunwhale top measurement, if you measure at the chines, nope, you are lucky to have 6'4" of footprint at rear, and the taper of the boat is drastic, so consider how much throttle is needed to get this type of hull onto a plane, and to maintain a plane at low rpm cruise.
Rule of thumb, weight vs horsepower as in anything, it is 70% hull, 30% power for best result, you can have a bad to the bone powerplant and a crappy hull, you will wear out the powerplant having to push the crappy hull, or you can have a moderate engine and a free running and docile hull and not burn up the engine or the fuel for that matter.
Hope this answered the question.

John speaking of minimal taper, what taper do you have your hulls bent at? 5 or 6 inches?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:48 am

5 per side
I never finish anyth,,,.

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby glades cat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:04 pm

Love them Glades grass sleds.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

HomesteadSlide
Southern Airboat Member

Postby HomesteadSlide » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 pm

Love my sled ! Just gotta be a little more careful than most other boats with stopping.
11' Franny Taylor O-360 sled
:old_glory: :florida:
Union till the day I die !

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 pm

HomesteadSlide wrote:Love my sled ! Just gotta be a little more careful than most other boats with stopping.

Not all sleds suffer from that. A deck over built for it can be very comfortable in any water depth.

The really light sleds with super short transom indeed need to be careful with.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

HomesteadSlide
Southern Airboat Member

Postby HomesteadSlide » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:22 pm

OneBFC wrote:
HomesteadSlide wrote:Love my sled ! Just gotta be a little more careful than most other boats with stopping.

Not all sleds suffer from that. A deck over built for it can be very comfortable in any water depth.

The really light sleds with super short transom indeed need to be careful with.

I have an 8 1/2” transom 3/4 deck, not much to play with. Never liked full decks due to not being able to really haul much out to camp, also like the look of a 3/4 deck much better.
11' Franny Taylor O-360 sled
:old_glory: :florida:
Union till the day I die !

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:58 pm

much rather stop short w deckover than an open hull any day
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby southern safaris » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:12 pm

I've heard folks talk about sleds having a little camber built in the hulls, can someone explain that a little pros n cons cause i know some just turn the sides up dead flat , just wondering if its like my roundsided hulls, the contour of the sides can make em or break em so to speak....
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm

I've rode in a bunch...some do this some do that. Lots of private back yard guys do a heck of a job and some so called ones who do it as a biz dont do as well of a job. Got to know what to look for or see it run before you buy it. A whole lot depends on a success sled build its not just the hull. The best hull can be fkd up by a stupid engine mount or seating arrangement
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

Return to “Airboat Talk”