Carbon Prop Maintenance (refinishing)

Airboat propeller discussion.
Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Carbon Prop Maintenance (refinishing)

Postby Huffduf41 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:47 am

Hey guys, this is probably a dumb question but how often are you supposed to have carbon props refinished?

Looking a used boats and some state "props refinished last year" just curious if this is a good thing or due to doing something stupid like having to get them refinished because the owner sucked some brush through them.

Thanks!

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Carbon Prop Maintenance (refinishing)

Postby Slidin Gator » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:11 am

I have a 10 year old Sensenich and it is about time for a refurb. Nothing major wrong with it, just time. They all eat brush, it may have just been time or the prop may have eaten a pocket watch. You would want to know the actual age of the prop to make a reasonable guess. Just keep in mind that the prop manufacturers are not going to put a blade back in service from a re-furb if it is not serviceable. Ask for a copy of the refurb receipt to confirm it isn't just waxed up for show.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:31 pm

I just did a set of S blades at Sensenich only because I was down for a repower and wanted the fresh look putting them back on.

They had told me years ago to inspect them before running the boat and if you start to see loose strands or threads definitely refinish.

They inspect, refinish and balance for $100 a blade plus tax. I think that is very fair for what you get.

The type of running you do and how your boat is stored will also factor into the need. If your a net fisherman or Oysterman you will find the need for refinish comes much sooner than does a weekend family operator. If the boat is stored out in the sun uncovered that too will speed up the need for refurbishment. Hope that helps you to understand a little better. Some guys go 10 years or longer with no need but having them checked is a ounce of prevention in my opinion.

CHUCK GET OFF YOUR WALLET AND GET YOUR BLADES REFURBISHED...lol

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:38 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:CHUCK GET OFF YOUR WALLET AND GET YOUR BLADES REFURBISHED...lol

:lol: The 10 year old blades are my old Q blades, still in run-able shape, just not in regular use. I bought a whole new NGQ set up last year that I am running now. Radtech was supposed to stop by the house today on his way to Mack's to put the Q's on his caddy to compare vs. the Sig he runs now. Last word was blown tire S. of Gainesville so that's delayed until the morning.

I :dontknow: why all the lies and drama about a blown tire, I mean why would I care if he spends the night at the Micanopy nudie truck stop and hamburger joint, its his vacation? :thumbleft:
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 pm

He is broke down at the right place!

Funny seems I remember Earl and Bill blew a tire there also ??????????? Wildwood Tire Triangle :stirpot:

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Slidin Gator » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:04 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Funny seems I remember Earl and Bill blew a tire there also ??????????? Wildwood Tire Triangle :stirpot:

Of course they did, damn tires and axle work hard to hold up them heavy a@@ CM boats, especially the ones with 4 batteries and a GPS trolling motor!

On the other hand, my lightweight, riveted, aircraft aluminum Stossel hull with light weight AV motor had no issues running 4 hours each way at drive it like you stole it speeds on this tire. Like I told the boy when we started heading home, not much sense in putting the spare on until we actually needed it (since it was into the cord too). Just another in a long line of reasons to keep her light.

For the record, new rubber all around now.

Return to “Prop Talk”