Lycoming vs. Continental

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
agracia93
Southern Airboat Member

Lycoming vs. Continental

Postby agracia93 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:34 am

I'm sure this has been discussed or could be a debate similar to boaters for "yamaha vs. mercury".

Just got my first sled, 12x7'8" don davis hull. Looking to put a motor and I am between searching for a lycoming or going with a friend of mine who has a completely rebuilt Continental 0470 with 0 hours.

What are your thought between motors... I always hear two sides that Lycoming is a work horse superior to continental, or that it is all preference and they are the same for reliability and quality.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Lycoming vs. Continental

Postby John Fenner » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: I brought plenty of popcorn for this debate.
Here goes, both are workhorses, when built correctly either can be a long service time powerplant, the drawbacks to Lycoming O540 are as such, the cam is in the roof of the case, when shut down hot, the oil runs off the tappets and cam lobes first, then engine cools, drawing in moisture and condensation builds in that roof, coating bare steel tappets, causing rust, which turns to small pits, that once cranked back up the rust is wiped away but the pits turn to bigger pits, called spalling, the spalling then wipes out the cam lobe(s), the other drawback to them is the mag drives run in caged bearings in the case, they are known to come apart and tear up the case.

Continental engines, depending on what model, have minimal issues, the parallel valve units are relatively easier to service than the angle valve which has more hardware to deal with when say changing a cylinder or top overhaul, they require prop adapters, starter systems and a couple modifications more than the Lycoming to be turn key, however, I have only seen 1 bad tappet in a continental due to sitting for years and then run for a matter of time till metal was in oil screen.
I'll take a continental.
I never finish anyth,,,.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 pm

I have a Lycoming but if you look a continental there all cooling fins that a bonus in air boating.

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby lilly-Pad » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:06 pm

I have ran both on my sled and it's continental power for me :salute: , however both are better than some out of place CM :stirpot: :fishing
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:34 pm

I have been told by an experienced aircraft mechanic that Continentals are great engines. I don’t know anyone who will say otherwise. But the fact is Lycoming’s are overwhelmingly preferred in the airboat world. For resale value reasons alone, I always go Lycoming.

All of the boats that bring high dollars when sold are Lycoming powered. If you take two identically built boats, same hull builder, same rigging, same paint, same prop, etc etc...one powered by a Lycoming 540, and the other powered by a comparably powered Continental...guaranteed the Lycoming powered boat will sell for more. When was the last time a Continental powered boat won best of show at Broward (I’m sure one has, but I can’t remember).

I’m not saying they are bad engines at all, and if I found a great deal on one, I would pick one up myself. But unless you are getting a great deal on that engine, go Lycoming. You’ll see the difference when you sell that boat one day.
14’ Thurman with a Schmidt Aviation IO-540 Angle Valve. Airflow Performance fuel injection, Pacemaker Ignition.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:15 am

It's cheaper to build a Lycoming than a Continental. Its also easier to seal them up and not leak oil. I am running a Continental and love the way the motor sounds and pushes. And Deric Acker (not sure about spelling) won with a Continental I think it was 3 years ago. And Don Davis could make one come alive.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 am

Derek Eaker
I never finish anyth,,,.

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby flcracker9 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:54 am

lilly-Pad wrote:I have ran both on my sled and it's continental power for me :salute: , however both are better than some out of place CM :stirpot: :fishing

lol.........
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 am

Gary S wrote:It's cheaper to build a Lycoming than a Continental. Its also easier to seal them up and not leak oil. I am running a Continental and love the way the motor sounds and pushes. And Deric Acker (not sure about spelling) won with a Continental I think it was 3 years ago. And Don Davis could make one come alive.

Yes, you are right about Derek’s boat, I forgot about that one. I was there that year, it’s a beautiful ride. But I believe he won “6 Cylinder Aviation / Aluminum” not “Best of Show.” But he’s got a beautiful ride regardless. I still stand by my opinion though, and I believe anyone who has bought and sold a decent amount of airboats like I have will agree on the resale issue.

And not to stir the pot, LOL, but I could’ve swore somebody told me that he has since switched that boat over to a Lycoming. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong because I don’t want to spread misinformation.
14’ Thurman with a Schmidt Aviation IO-540 Angle Valve. Airflow Performance fuel injection, Pacemaker Ignition.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:56 am

One of my boats won 6 cyl ground power 3 years in a row.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Didn’t mean to fire you guys up, but understand I did not say that a Continental has never won an award at the show. There are many classes at the Broward Show; Best of Show being the ultimate prize. My statement was...When was the last time a Continental won Best of Show at Broward. I can’t remember.

I never get on here and bash anybody or anything, that’s not how I operate. The OP asked a question and I offered my opinion to help him make his Don Davis hull the most valuable it possibly can. I don’t think anyone will argue the fact that a Lycoming will yield him the highest value on that boat.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 am

I will agree with the Lycomings bringing more money.

agracia93
Southern Airboat Member

Postby agracia93 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated!

good meeting you at the airboat club saturday John, i was there with timmy buckhalt.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 pm

i'm no expert by any means. I've owned 3 Lycoming powered airboats and one continental [gpu] boat.

so I like the gpu powered boat 3 to 1 over the Lycomings. lol

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”