Leave the pcv valve on or take it out pros and cons

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Leave the pcv valve on or take it out pros and cons

Post by Deano »

kwanjangnihm wrote:I had to read this thread a few times, but finally have a visual of how a CM pcv valve works!! :toothy7: :stirpot:
flcracker9 wrote:Kwan, you're killing me! I think this one went over a few peoples heads lol
Kwan, I'm not so sure that you have this figured out as well as you think you do. I understand you AC guys don't have as much experience with some things as the CM guys, but if you continue your research, I think you will find that your diagram shows that internal plug installed backwards.

It's my understanding it should be installed such that the string is toward the outboard end. As you conceptualize
the theory, realize it's sole purpose is to facilitate said plug's removal prior to the next system flush. :toothy7:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by loudmouse »

If a filtered vent or any vent is used on one valve cover and pcv on the other connected to a engine vacuum source 2 things happen (1) the vacuum source can't pull the inside of an engine to a vacuum state. This constant vacuum prevents oil from escaping seals and gaskets. (2) The carburetor was NOT calibrated for this constant leak of air( btw enters below the venturi and is not metered with fuel) and causes a lean condition in most applications. Most often showing up on rapid throttle opening with a stumble, lazyness in acceleration and/or hot running cylinders that cause excessive run on at shut down.
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

What's next?

HP vs Torque
Sensenich vs Whirlwind
CM vs Aircraft
Synthetic vs Dinosour

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:What's next?

HP vs Torque
Sensenich vs Whirlwind
CM vs Aircraft
Synthetic vs Dinosour
Carb vs Fuel Injection
Aluminum vs Fiberglass
Full Deck vs Open
Front vs Rear Driver
Cable vs Crows foot
Full Cage vs Pancake
Stainless vs Aluminum
Polymer vs QuickSteelFrogSlickFlexSpit

Blonde vs Brunette

When PROPERLY done, time has shown they will ALL work.
. . . provided we deliberately exclude the libtard majority holding the House hostage.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by loudmouse »

Yes they can. But for those that are not mechanically inclined to adjust (Tune) the engine to make up for the lean condition cause by their simple pcv vented set-up, a closed system is more desirable for 95% of all cm airboats. Hell, you can run. vents in both valve covers and if you have a good set of VC with proper baffles would be fine. BUT if you bought the economy covers or the engine in a lot of blow by state, the volume of blowby would put oil out both sides through the filters.
Fuel injected engines this does not apply in the respect for adjusting the carb but will require the tune to be altered for fuel if using engine vacuum with a vented cover.
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

Return to “Automotive Power Only”