Just bought airboat, getting ready to start after a couple years of storage.

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Just bought airboat, getting ready to start after a couple years of storage.

Post by Huffduf41 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Hey guys-

I just picked up a 2001 15’ Classic/Panther ice hull. SBC w/ Century CH-3 reduction.

It hasn’t been run in about three years so I plan on changing oil/filter, fuel filter, greasing the reduction unit per Century’s instructions.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks

picture host

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Just bought airboat, getting ready to start after a couple years of storage.

Post by skinnypockets » Sun May 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Hand turn the prop through at least one full turn to make sure there isn't any dirt dobber nests under the belt.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Just bought airboat, getting ready to start after a couple years of storage.

Post by unforgiven11B » Sun May 26, 2019 9:01 pm

If I was you I would Immediately get rid of the acorn nuts. They are not the proper hardware for that belt drive and they will destroy your prop. Century’s website can tell you the proper bolts you need to replace them with. Based on pictures you have mud wasps. They are prone to building nests on the pulleys if you try to turn it over your belt will break. I have a massive checklist I do but everyone is different. Go over EVERYTHING that is bolted check for loose or stripped or damaged hardware and replace.

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:06 pm

skinnypockets wrote:Hand turn the prop through at least one full turn to make sure there isn't any dirt dobber nests under the belt.
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
Thank you!

Dumb question but can I just pull down on the prop and look for dirt on the inner side of the belt? (I’ll be sure to disconnect battery first).

I did check for play in the belt and there was less than 1/4” movement in the prop tip so belt seems properly adjusted.

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by unforgiven11B » Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 pm

You can do it that way but disconnect batteries don’t trust the perko or kill switch! You could use a flashlight as well look up Inside best you can or better yet an inspection camera. The belts don’t have any give so a ping pong ball size nest will break the belts

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by barhopper » Sun May 26, 2019 10:06 pm

What motor?

Msa4x4
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Msa4x4 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:36 am

That blade looks cracked....

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:42 am

barhopper wrote:What motor?

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:44 am

Msa4x4 wrote:That blade looks cracked....
If definitely does in that picture, all three have the same seam where it looks like the piece of carbon ends right there. Good eye though!

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Mon May 27, 2019 8:03 am

Either pull distributor and prime oil system with a drill, or spin it over with plugs out till pressure builds, pre fill new filter, I wouldn't change oil till primed and at running temperature.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:36 pm

John Fenner wrote:Either pull distributor and prime oil system with a drill, or spin it over with plugs out till pressure builds, pre fill new filter, I wouldn't change oil till primed and at running temperature.
Sounds good, thanks

I also read about pouring a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder before manually turning over. Thoughts?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 pm

Any time you put a fluid into the cylinder you want to make sure you spin it over with the plugs out. Putting a squirt or two of Marvel Mystery oil or a thin motor oil makes good sense.

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm

The storage compartment has a quart of valvoline 5w-30 in it. I typically run Mobile 1 in my engines, any concerns about switching to synthetic?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:20 pm

If it is an old engine that has been sitting you would generally want to select an oil of proper specification and use a natural oil. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with a full or semi synthetic my experience has shown they tend to leak a bit more around seals. Maybe it is a thinner base or higher level of detergents but if you have a loose seal or gasket that synthetic will find it's way out faster. No analytical study just experience in the field seeing what happens when guys switch.

If you can speak with the man who owned it find out what worked for him and what the build may require.

Read about ZZDP and find out if your engines needs are met with your selection.

If you are unsure what exactly you have engine wise grab a jug of 15W-40 Rotella, Lucas Oil Stabilizer and a ZZPD break-in additive such as CompCam159 or Lucas Break in additive. Use as the instructions advise, you won't hurt a cam and lifters that way. It is all at the local parts store.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-159

PM if your in need of more specific info

I reviewed your dyno sheet and you have a 350 bored .030 for 355cid with a hydraulic cam but it doesn't specify roller of flat tappet.

YOU BETTER USE ZZDP unless you know first hand it is a roller engine.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Tue May 28, 2019 8:31 am

Best advice right there^^^^
I never finish anyth,,,.

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks again for everything guys. Do you think it’s odd that the spark plugs are RC12YC?

When I went to purchase new ones the descriptions all mention small engine (lawnmower type) application.

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:54 pm

Thanks again for the help guys!

keys2pines
Southern Airboat Member

Post by keys2pines » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:48 am

Sounds good!
12x6'8" Taylor deckover, 383 DD, 72" Sensenich JM
Our keys house for rent, 10% off for SA members https://rentalsfloridakeys.com/view-uni ... /#image-10 :usa:

Huffduf41
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Huffduf41 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:05 am

unforgiven11B wrote:If I was you I would Immediately get rid of the acorn nuts. They are not the proper hardware for that belt drive and they will destroy your prop. Century’s website can tell you the proper bolts you need to replace them with. Based on pictures you have mud wasps. They are prone to building nests on the pulleys if you try to turn it over your belt will break. I have a massive checklist I do but everyone is different. Go over EVERYTHING that is bolted check for loose or stripped or damaged hardware and replace.
I took your advice and Century recommended the correct bolts. Dumb question but what do you think are those acorn nuts attached to? I've never seen a bolt w/ an acorn style head....

Thanks again

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by unforgiven11B » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 am

I’ve used 3M auto body panel adhesive to secure nuts on all-thread. The adhesive I use is considered permanent. Not saying this was what the previous owner did. hell I’ve seen acorn head bolts before but they were pretty pricey they came in SS and chrome. If you have not removed one yet it could be just a 1” piece of all-thread then the acorn nut,
Maybe some lock tight. I can’t remember off top of my head but it should be no more 35-40ft/lbs on any of them bolts going into that soft aluminum housing /case. Be careful not to over tight them when you replace.

Return to “Airboat Talk”