Oil cooler hose

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
apg1387
Southern Airboat Member

Oil cooler hose

Post by apg1387 »

Blew my oil cooler hose a few weeks back....twice. It was my own dumb fault for not having the proper hose on there to begin with. What do you guys use? I don't mind spending a few bucks for reliability. Motor is a 290 with 320 sump and heads.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Oil cooler hose

Post by Slidin Gator »

Gates 8LOC, it's 1/2" and 300 psi working pressure. Includes a cloth type cover. I get it at the local NAPA. But be warned, you need to use the Push-Loc style fittings (4 barb with the yellow plastic ring) to go with it, don't use any old hose nipple fitting. The hose is relatively stiff, making it good for the pressure, but the stiffness makes it hard to seal. The first time I switched to this hose, the NAPA did not have enough of the push loc's in stock, so I had to use some other nipples. They kept leaking until I got the right fittings in, no problems since.

Also, it's hard enough putting the hose on the fittings, you will never get it back off. Leave enough slack to let you cut it back 1-2 times or you will have to replace it if you ever need to remove it.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by unforgiven11B »

Diamondback sells SS braided ones for oil coolers I run them never an issue. Any manufacturer probably sells them . You Might be able to get the fittings and braided hose a lot cheaper and build them yourself online or local hot rod shop, or Napa. Mine have brass fittings on them not aluminum.

apg1387
Southern Airboat Member

Post by apg1387 »

Gator, what do you use to keep the hose on the barb? Like a ss band-it or hose clamp? Not real familiar with hyd hoses.What kind of temperature rating should these hoses have?

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

unforgiven11B wrote:Diamondback sells SS braided ones for oil coolers I run them never an issue. Any manufacturer probably sells them . You Might be able to get the fittings and braided hose a lot cheaper and build them yourself online or local hot rod shop, or Napa. Mine have brass fittings on them not aluminum.
Are these crimped hoses or push on hose barb style? Crimped hoses with flare fittings is certainly a good solution.

I use brass hose barb fittings with SST hose clamps. Operating oil temp spec is to 220, hoses should be rated to at least 250 F.

unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by unforgiven11B »

Ones I am running now are crimped and a solid piece. Shown in picture. On last boat I made my own with screw together AN fittings and SS braided hose. With quality fittings and quality braided hose I would trust the screw together and crimped to the same PSI(300+) which would exceed the PSI the oil cooler would sustain.
Attachments
4C4CE399-31CC-472F-8639-7082CB680170.jpeg

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Here is the setup for me, any of these options will certainly work well. I do carry a short length of the hose and a couple of hose to hose barb fittings if needed for a patch just in case.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

Hydraulic hoses.
Got 11 years out of my first set. Only replaced them because they “looked old”.

Also important is how you run them. Tie them off so they don’t/can’t rub or touch anywhere. Rubber vibrating against metal will eventually fail.
Mark 7:9

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

apg1387 I don't know what area you live in as you didn't fill out profile. There is a hydraulic shop in Fla. city where I get my hoses. NAPA can make cases for you. If your close to West Palm there is Mako hose.

Gladesman06
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Gladesman06 »

apg1387 where are you located.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”