Re: ECOTEC 2.0 LTG SWAP

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 pm

THATS A LOT OF WIRES PAW PAW!

Stand alone harness and ECM in play 8)

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Sat May 25, 2019 10:32 pm

Fun starts soon....wire looms, crimps and heat shrink are in your future!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Sat May 25, 2019 10:59 pm

OneBFC wrote:Fun starts soon....wire looms, crimps and heat shrink are in your future!

Russ,

He took the easy route and had someone else build it for him... his fingers wont hurt like ours have hours of splicing and soldering!
12x7'6" American Airboat
1.4L GM Ecotec - Stock Turbo
2:1 Century Ecotec Drive
80" 2-bld WW Stump Puller
"Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sun May 26, 2019 6:16 am

I did cheat. I will have to do a few modifications but pretty minimal. Harness was built by Mitch at Swap Time. He also flashed the ECM.... which is not locked :) . I need to pick a good external fuel pump and put together a return fuel system.

I think I'm going to take the wire that would have turned on the electric cooling fan and use that to turn on a visual and audible over heat alarm. I assume You can adjust the temp that the fan comes on in the tune? That way I could set the over heat alarm at whatever temp I wanted.

I'll see if I can find what the operating temp is supposed to be for this motor

Time to buy some tuning software.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sun May 26, 2019 7:10 am

Look like 32GPH @ 60psi is what the fuel pump needs to deliver to the high pressure engine mounted pump.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Mon May 27, 2019 3:01 pm

Ok...more on this harness. It was made by Mitch at Swap Time for a guy who changed his mind on the swap he was doing.

..this harness started life as a 2016 Camaro LTG harness. My motor came out of a front wheel drive Malibu. Routing of the harness on the motor is quite a bit different. So I’m looking for pics and diagrams to help me figure out the proper way to put this thing in place.

As expected I will have to relocate or lengthn two plugs that go to the throttle body. The fwd and rwd applications require the TB to be located rear /front respectively.

I now have several plugs with no mate that I believe go to the transmission and hopefully other non necessary things.

I will have to get the wiring diagrams for the 2016 standard trans Camaro to verify.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Mon May 27, 2019 3:03 pm

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Mon May 27, 2019 5:48 pm

ACDELCO TDS...

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#

The bottom of the page is a $20 3 day subscription that gets you to all the wiring diagrams and service manual info so you can look at routing photos. I normally only get the 3 day and just print to PDF everything I need in that time frame. If I miss something its just another $20 later down the road... still cheaper than the $150 if you know what you need to find.
12x7'6" American Airboat

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm

I think you were the one that gave me that site address before.It was a bear to get the diagrams to come up. I ended up having to use an old retired laptop due to some compatibility issues I could not fully grasp. I did get a lot of great info but it was not what I expected. I was hoping I would have access to pdf’s of the factory service manuals including the wiring diagrams. Instead what I found was a digital version that was harder for me to follow and certainly not factory service manuals. I’ll post a few pics of what I found it’s also possible I did a poor job of searching the site.

I do appreciate the lead. Not being ungrateful.

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Those are the service manuals in HTML but the images like diagrams require a plug-in that works only for IE or Edge.

If you want the actual full manuals in pdf youll need to go thru Helm
http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_serv ... lass_2=CHV

Or if you are ok with hard books you may find a good deal on ebay or here:
https://www.carboagez.com/
12x7'6" American Airboat

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Fri May 31, 2019 12:53 pm

At HELMINC you can get the pdf of the whole factory service manual set for $278 I guess I'll do that if I cant find it for free :)

Thanks for the link.

smalltownboy_08
Southern Airboat Member

Postby smalltownboy_08 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:24 am

Hows the harness coming along?

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:26 am

No progress lately. I have been working on some other projects. I will probably get back on it in a few weeks.

Billcollector
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Billcollector » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm

We have been using Rotator gear reductions with adapter plates lately because ballistic has fallen off the face of the earth.

I would no sooner fly to the moon than use Alpha Fab (AFI) for anything. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

I wish one of the gearbox mfg's would build a bolt on box for us Ecotec guys. I really don't like using 1" too long bolts to couple the flywheel to the soft drive.

We have strictly used LE5's so I can't help you much on the harness, but Kolby at Turn Key Engines may be able to help you.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Billcollector wrote:We have been using Rotator gear reductions with adapter plates lately because ballistic has fallen off the face of the earth.

I would no sooner fly to the moon than use Alpha Fab (AFI) for anything. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

I wish one of the gearbox mfg's would build a bolt on box for us Ecotec guys. I really don't like using 1" too long bolts to couple the flywheel to the soft drive.

We have strictly used LE5's so I can't help you much on the harness, but Kolby at Turn Key Engines may be able to help you.

Billcollector, I have to totally agree with you about AFI. I bought the boat gyrocopter put together and used the running gear on a sled. The AFI has not given me any problem but it is locked and has no connector for tuning.

I bought a B207R, (2.0 ecotec), to replace the 2.2 but having a problem finding a ECM and harness to fit. I can build a boat but have no experience with EMC's. Would you mind telling me what the LE5 is you referred to?

By the way, I'm also running the rotator with the 1" adapter. Thanks, Rich

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Skinny... if you need an Ecotec breakdown here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

Basically a 2.4 NA that tops out about 190-200HP... I make that with the 1.4L Turbo... Best bang for the buck is a LHU or newer LTG - 2.0L Turbo, but I looked at doing a new boat and just doesnt make since to max out at 500HP when you can start at 500HP and make upwards of 800+ with a junkyard LSA. Needless to say I wont build help build another Ecotec boat unless someone wants one really badly.
12x7'6" American Airboat

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 pm

br,lc,LA wrote:Skinny... if you need an Ecotec breakdown here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine

Basically a 2.4 NA that tops out about 190-200HP... I make that with the 1.4L Turbo... Best bang for the buck is a LHU or newer LTG - 2.0L Turbo, but I looked at doing a new boat and just doesnt make since to max out at 500HP when you can start at 500HP and make upwards of 800+ with a junkyard LSA. Needless to say I wont build help build another Ecotec boat unless someone wants one really badly.

The B207R is a very close cousin of the LSJ - 2.0 turbo with the same internals and is used in the Saabs and some cadillacs. The stock 2.0 turbo is rated at 210 HP and will bolt right up where the 2.2 is now. The total weight of my sled is around 100 lbs. so I'm only looking for 275 /300 HP.
I'm just trying to find a tunable ECM and harness that will work without breaking the bank. :fishing

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
Last edited by skinnypockets on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby skinnypockets » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 pm

FISHSTICKER, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I just read what Billcollecter wrote wanted to see if a LE5 might be something I could use.
:dontknow:

:florida: :old_glory:

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Postby br,lc,LA » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 pm

skinny
The B207 is an LK9 turbocharged version instead of the supercharged LSJ. You probably can find a good tuner and swap out the P12 (which you likely have) to a E67.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-ls ... sy-304426/

ZZP may be your best to make a phone call to get some direction.
12x7'6" American Airboat

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Billcollector I would be interested in a 2.0 LTG 1" adapter. I have not yet spoken to a peson or company that can provide me one. Jerremy at Rotator was very helpful but said he only had an adapter for the LHU which is differnet than the LTG.

I was able to speak to Shane at Ballstic and sent him $3500 on April 30. It appears he is having trouble with his machine shop. They have yet to run the 5 tombsons he requested for the LTG. That delay has not been an issue for me yet but I am getting to the point where I really would like to have my box so I can start on the engine stand that is going in the boat. If nothing changes in a few weeks I'll get a refund and go a different route. I actually transfered my cad of the bellhousing bolt pattern to aluminum and it was spot on. maybe a .010" rotational adjustment on a few bolts. But at this point I think my center punch and drill work could EASILY be out that much. I may go ahead and get a machine shop to cnc one out of 1/4" plate for a test fit from my CAD File.

Played with bending some 304 3/4" x 1/16 wall stainless tube with an old 1/2" EMT bender and it came out nice. Bends to 90 degrees were nice with no noted deformation.

Skinny Don't worry about hijacking the thread I enjoy the company :) . Other discussion is more than welcome here.

I should be back on the ECOTEC by mid August as I get done with a few other projects.
Last edited by FISHSTICKER on Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Re-check after drilling

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Disregard the centerhole. Hole saw was not cooperating.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Skinnypockets, I would contact Mitch at Swap Time if you need a harness and ECU. Let me know if you want his contact info.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Postby OneBFC » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:29 pm

pedal is not an issue. Mine has been fully exposed since 2012 with plenty of time spent in some heavy rain both running and on the trailer.

Works best with an in tank fuel pump. Can be the factory system that you use the FCM along with the PCM or just a standard 70 psi feed / return.

I run factory style system but others run returns. Both have proven viable.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Postby FISHSTICKER » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Russ, The harness is not set up for the factory FCM. Its just a hot wire to turn the pump on when the ignition is on. I was going to try an external pump and return system with a fuel pressure regulator down stream before the high perssure pump to keep from having to modify my existing fuel tank. Do you think that will cause a problem?

Send me some pics of that boat. You get it back on the water yet?

Return to “Automotive Power Only”