Airboat Hull jet boat?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Nabagator
Southern Airboat Member

Airboat Hull jet boat?

Post by Nabagator » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:54 am

If anyone has pics, videos, or any advice for building a jetski powered hull please share. I moved to North Florida and want to build one to run shallow rivers in summer up here. I remember seeing one a few years ago on SA that a guy built and that's what give me the idea.

Sent from my E6810 using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Airboat Hull jet boat?

Post by bkmail » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Lots of mini jets using a jet ski motor.
Same idea I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech 2.68 Stinger box, w/84" 4 blade Whisper Tip Whirlwind blades.

Nabagator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Nabagator » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:06 am

I saw a small airboat Hull couple years back, maybe 10'6" with a jet motor glassed in the bottom and had two single seats built on rigging couple feet high. Does anybody have any pics or info on it?

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am

I saw one buried up in the bushes a few years ago! It was an old 11' Gore w/ a 1100cc motor and jet. It was a cobbled up mess but would haul ass in a straight line. It had zero control in the turns, and with the very low center of gravity it would break loose and slide. Once it started sliding there was no water to the pump, thus no control and the afore mentioned bushes! It was fun to watch though!

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:47 pm

The are often referred to as jet-jons. Clint Rowe from On the Snap Fiberglass has made a few around here.

Basically he cuts the bottom out of a jet ski, motor, motor mount and all and glasses it in to the bottom of an airboat hull. Then makes a little rigging for seats and controls. Not rocket surgery and they get around good.

He is on FB Southernairboat if you wanted more info.
Mark 7:9

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:31 pm

The one I saw was not that technical. It had the motor inside the hull and the pump outside. It was all slide all the time! That flat bottom had zero grip in the turns.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rick McC. » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Places we run, that intake would be plugged up in no time...
Last edited by Rick McC. on Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

SeatCover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SeatCover » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:21 pm

I think you're referring to my jet jon rowdy1, it's a 12' with a yamaha 760 in it. Runs pretty good about 42 mph, but yes hes right it loves to slide, if it has a decent amount of weight in it and you slow down to turn it actually turns pretty good. I dont have any pics right now but will try to post some pics when I see the boat next time.
12' Cut Gilleo, Angle Valve 0-320, 72" Whisper Tip. Goes wherever I point it. :florida:

Nabagator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Nabagator » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Love to see some pics or any do's and don'ts. I wonder if I jacked the hull and rounded it if that would help with the slide

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:50 pm

I've played with tillers on an airboat hull up to a 25hp four stroke anchors and a person will need to attach either stacked or thick poly chines on it. Cutting water is pretty simple but not on a hull designed to drift from above with only outer turning chines.

SeatCover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SeatCover » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:01 pm

I think keeping the bottom flat is important, I tried to make my bottom flat on my boat when we did the new stringers, and it still has a little hop to it, i opted to keep the poly on my hull ( for ginnie springs trips) so i just shimmied the poly and all good. Now if you bury the pump deep in the water like clints supercharged rig, it just plows the water and keeps the nose down and hook up better. My pump is only 1/4" below the poly. I also stuck the whole pump out the back, I think it helps steer better, and I'm the only rig that can just reach around the back of the hull to get grass and such out. That water gets chilly in the winter!
12' Cut Gilleo, Angle Valve 0-320, 72" Whisper Tip. Goes wherever I point it. :florida:

Return to “Airboat Tech”