Hull Taper

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Hull Taper

Post by Seven3 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Just curious about the science behind figuring what taper to bend the sheets of a riveted hull at (stern to bow taper). You look at some of the old Thurmans and they have a lot of taper making the bow deeper. But the later Thurmans, and the newer Benny Webb’s have less taper. The Don Davis’ and Wardaddy’s seem to have a lot less taper. Is it all just about getting the boat to jump up on plane quicker?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Hull Taper

Post by John Fenner » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:14 am

Yes, I build mine with 5" of taper per side they tend to be on plane with a throttle blip, wider is better.
I never finish anyth,,,.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 am

The older thurman hulls had heavy taper to drop the nose farther, those boats were built specifically to have a proper sized drawer on each side to haul a certain size package(s) that were extracted from certain areas back in the good ole boy days, wink wink.
I never finish anyth,,,.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:22 pm

John Fenner wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 am
The older thurman hulls had heavy taper to drop the nose farther, those boats were built specifically to have a proper sized drawer on each side to haul a certain size package(s) that were extracted from certain areas back in the good ole boy days, wink wink.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: This guy.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 am

Chewing tobacco?

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Diggin you have a set of those boxes in yours...better make sure there’s no residue left in them LOL. My new one has a set as well.
Attachments
A501C2CB-D1B8-4778-B7B4-D32C4CC42D5A.jpeg

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:37 am

Seven3 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm
Diggin you have a set of those boxes in yours...better make sure there’s no residue left in them LOL. My new one has a set as well.
If there's any residue in there, I'll have to blame the previous owner. 8) :lol: :lol:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Return to “Airboat Tech”