Lucas Oil Stabilazer

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Eastward
Southern Airboat Member

Lucas Oil Stabilazer

Post by Eastward » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:38 am

Has anyone used Lucas Oil Stabilizer in their gear reduction box?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Lucas Oil Stabilazer

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:42 am

I ran a late model wide gear Rotator and utilized RedLine HD Shockproof (red) gear oil with which I blended in about 20% Lucas Oil Stabilizer and an ounce of CompCam #159.

My drive was fairly quiet and at snug as new after about 200 hours bolted to a 542 inch Cadillac. I regret selling it !

Eastward
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Eastward » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:06 pm

This is my second K Way gear box. It's bolted to a 500hp 502. No issues. The K Way has a history of being tough but they are not known for being very smooth. I'm running Royal Purple synthetic gear oil. Just was wondering if the Lucas would help.
Thanks for the reply.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:36 pm

The Redline Heavy Shockproof is some serious gear lubricant.

It is a synthetic that provides a film strength like a 75w250 so it cushions the gear surfaces.

Look into it, it is a creamy red. https://www.redlineoil.com/heavy-shockproof

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:34 am

Redline or Amsoil Severe Gear 250. Both are premium products. The Royal Purple? Not so much. Do a Google on gear oil comparisons.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Only on old diesel stuff like motors and final drives, but not a bad idea! Not sure on alum housed if would need to be flushed in some fashion?
Probably need a trans guy for any plating or sludge issues?

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 am

So years back our lost buddy "CROW" was balls deep into oil research. He had a company blending him custom oil for every vehicle in his inventory from race cars to the airboat. He passed along that one of the functions of traditional Lucas Oil Stabilizer is that it serves as an "oil tactifier." As such it has a formula that has co-polymers and additives which help to keep oil upon the wear surfaces. This works very well on applications with large clearances and lower pressure systems.

Mr. Branch educated me years back as it relates to an engine (when I thought I knew a lot and was humbled) that the crankshaft and rods FLOAT in the bearing. The oil is there to provide a shield to keep the two dissimilar metals from touching each other. The bearing surface is soft the crank is hard, so the bearing will at first be "polished" by contact but a re-occurrence will scar and wear it's surface. Mr. Branch prescribes Lucas Oil Stabilizer to serve as a cushioning agent. In the case of a DD engine this can really help to save a thrust bearing.

As with any thing to much of a good thing can have an adverse effect. For a worn gear box a 20 to 30% ratio is very safe. Lucas claims it can be used in much higher concentrations.

If we get around to sitting around the campfire one day I will tell you the Cousin Jonnie and his 5.4 Ford Lucas story :lol:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:35 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 am
So years back our lost buddy "CROW" ...
Did something happen to crowhater?
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:14 am

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:20 am
If we get around to sitting around the campfire one day I will tell you the Cousin Jonnie and his 5.4 Ford Lucas story :lol:
this comes to mind when I envision a caddy guy campfire :)
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Crow just disappeared off the radar.

He has not logged in since May of 2018

Hey Kwan is your boat done yet ? :stirpot:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:06 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:32 pm
Hey Kwan is your boat done yet ? :stirpot:
Swamp you know things get slow during hunting season, but getting there brother!! :D
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 am

KWAN maybe you could pick up a good car motor boat and come sit by the campfire!

This weeks cookie is the SMORE !

You get SMORE time to enjoy airboating when you have a running boat!

Get with Rick maybe and see if he can change your screen name. CarMotorJeff is available last time I checked.

ps: Luv the old Blazing Saddles clip it is timeless.

Return to “Airboat Tech”