I'm Building 2 Stossel Boats with High Torque Motors

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: I'm Building 2 Stossel Boats with High Torque Motors

Post by Slidin Gator » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 am

John Fenner wrote:You will not regret the stossel hull, all were built with 7075 T-6 as any real boat should be, great hulls with many out there for over 30 years, welded hulls are way overrated but folks still buy them, not sure why.
Both of these hulls are over 30 years old, kinda says it all.
Seven3 wrote:No brainer on going 7075. I’m no hull builder, but I’ve wondered why more people aren’t building their 7075 hulls out of .125. I did some research two years ago before I ordered my new hull, compared weight figures from multiple suppliers, and figured that a 13x7’2 hull made of .125 only weighs about 40 pounds heavier than a .100 hull. Unless you’re building a racer, 40 pounds is just nominal and well-worth the increased hull strength.
Both of these hulls are 0.100 7075 and are pretty bullet proof. The damage on the red hull comes from 2 collisions with solid rock and will get resolved. One time I was searching the tall grass for a headstone my dad's buddy placed for his favorite dog, well I found it! :slap: .125 would be double the strength for sure, but I'm not sure it would handle these impacts either. 40 pounds is 40 pounds I can't haul, I think these hulls show that 0.100 is pretty damn durable.

Everything is a compromise.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:14 pm

.100" will give, .125" will tend to crack if hit hard enough.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:38 am

John Fenner wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:14 pm
.100" will give, .125" will tend to crack if hit hard enough.
Thanks John! Unless you are running a rock (or paper), it's gonna loose to a rock, how it responds is important for sure.

Last week was a write off, too much wind. This week was perfect. The rigging is now black for sure.

1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dirtman » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:29 pm

Do you remember about how much paint it took to get your cage wire covered?
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Dirtman wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:29 pm
Do you remember about how much paint it took to get your cage wire covered?
I used about 1-1/2 gallons total of the black for rigging and wire. I think it took 1 to 1-1/2 quarts for the wire. Of course a bulk of it went to the wind.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:03 am

She is coming along. Got the bell crank steering like I like it with more rudder travel than needed, until it's needed anyway.

I went to West Marine looking for a high volume bilge pump and impulse bought the automatic Rule 2000 GPH unit. I keep saying that West Marine, Home Depot, Lowes etc. should have a $200 door ante, settle up at the register. It would keep out some of the riff raff, you ain't getting out of there for less than $200 any way.

I have had great success with the smaller 500 GPH automatic units, they keep the hull dry all the time, they just are not big enough for those Oh Shick moments. I was thinking one of the smaller auto units plus a big pump on a manual switch but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to keep things simple, one pump does all, no float switch. The automatic units turn on every 2-3 minutes, if they don't sense enough current from pumping, they shut back off immediately. If the pump is sucking water the unit senses higher amperage draw and stay's on until dry, no worries about it raining all night or running down the battery, plus no issues with clogged float switches. I have never had one of the auto Rule units fail yet, I have had a lot of float switch issues in the past.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:59 am

Why didn't you put wire on the cage?

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:07 am

Wire is made and will go on last. We just decided to go with tie wraps versus welding it on.

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:52 pm

Slidin Gator wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:07 am
Wire is made and will go on last. We just decided to go with tie wraps versus welding it on.
Only way to go imo. I did same thing. No way will ever go back to welding or metal tie straps. Regular old 50lb black zip ties work great.

About 150 to 200 of them 😂
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Snapper man
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Snapper man » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 pm

Great build, beautiful boat
Last edited by Snapper man on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snapper man
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Snapper man » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:57 pm

Man that was some awesome play by play, thank you i enjoyed it.can’t :old_glory: wait to hook up with you and go riding in the marsh. Always loved those hulls and still leaning that way in the near future, just hard to part with my Seminole hull that still rides great. Great going through your journey thanks again and hope to see ya soon.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:39 am

Cool pump

Boat is looking great

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:26 pm

I was working on ordering gauges. I put a meter to the fuel level sending unit to confirm the resistance range and got infinity. Pulled the sender.

At least now I know where that nut and screw in the fuel tank came from. Gonna switch to metal to metal locked screws in the fuel tank.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Didn't get much done this past month, work has gotten in the way of my hobbies, it's an issue I need to deal with.

Gary asked earlier about cage wire, here is a fit up. It's the last thing to tie wrap down. This wire was built under the concept of minimum welding, lot's of other ways to do it.

Rooting around in my parts box for my Lean/Rich cable brackets and I found an un-opened UPS envelope from JEGS. Why TF did I order 8x 1/4 NPT x 3/8 Hose barb, 45 degree, Aluminum fittings? Seriously, I don't even own 8 things with a fuel routing issue :scratch:

Found the bracket system after a lot of searching. Gauge panel ready for paint too.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:43 pm

Set up the throttle cable, ready for weld up. Hate to burn the paint on the engine stand, but I got more and I'm not drilling my engine stand if I can help it.

Got the lean out cable bracket set up. Red Loctite on the 1/4-20 screw into the female threaded boss on the pan.

Bought the bracket, rod end and lean out cable from Aircraft Spruce a couple of years ago. Used a chunk of Aluminum and a long screw to match it all up. Bracket pivots so the lean out cable operates smooth through out the stroke. The cable will get another zip tie to a frame as a back up vs. going through the prop.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Time to hook up the fuel lines. Crap, new cage is in a different place than old cage.

Looks like I knew I was gonna need a 45 degree fitting, now if I can figure out where the other 7 are supposed to go :scratch:

Here's the set up. The electric pump circuit is normally closed, motor normally runs on the mechanical fuel pump alone. Electric pump is used for pump up first thing in the am and offline back up otherwise. All runs through the water separator and on to the Mechanical pump.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:30 am

Ghost is alive.
Last edited by Slidin Gator on Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:34 am

Looks great SG!! :thumbleft: :salute: :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Looks good. Love the rudder!

:cheers: :salute:
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:47 pm

Thanks, it’s been some long nights this week to finish, But we got her in the rear view mirror now, might even get some run time in this afternoon. Have been planning to paint the rudder gray eventually, but the green is already starting to grow on me.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:03 pm

SG did you decide to go back to the other shroud? I remember the photo of the newer, larger shroud and you had it mounted. :scratch:

My vote is to keep the rudder as is! :thumbleft:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:13 pm

The bigger shroud is not ready, that’s on the list of stuff left to do. Not working the engine too hard this week, so far so good. Rudder trim was perfect off the trailer. She is running on the nose a bit. Seating is more forward vs the old setup and less weight on the stern. New mounts raised the engine and prop, but still needs some tweaking. The nose definitely stays down at WOT now!

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Hardtail » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi Slidin Gator, Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Great build thread, looks like you had fun with getting it right, let me know if you are riding in South end some time, would like to see your new build in action, and ride with you, we just got back from Minnesota Deer hunting, we got 3 nice 8 pointers, fuel injection worked great, was cold this year, (-2* one morning) kind of tore up my franny hull with the frozen ground, after reading your thread, I think I should be look for a Stossel hull with Polymer for the Northern Climate, Send me a Text if your riding down this way, FYI We are having a Birthday Party for Charlie's Airboat on December 7th at AAOF, your invited to come celebrate with us, we always have plenty to eat.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:29 pm

You celebrate your boat’s birthday too? I guess anything for a party. Guess I have to start planning a 1 year old party for Ghost, Nov. 21, 2020 :lol:

I’m probably gonna be pounding some ground on the 7th. That’s my immediate plan for hull tuning, see if she flattens out and frees up some before making any other changes.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:01 am

The last time I weighed the rig was 2016, it was 2,940 lbs. Hit the scales on the way home from burning Diesel & AV fuel all week. 2,700 lb boat & trailer full of fuel, extra 5 and slimmed down tool kit. So roughly my original goal of a 250 lb diet.

Here are some more pics of the finish build.

Dig way back in the thread and you will see the rudder damage I inflicted in the yard. I went with the Nascar Gorrilla tape solution.

Return to “Airboat Tech”