New to the Airboats - building my first boat.

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Spootan
Southern Airboat Member

New to the Airboats - building my first boat.

Post by Spootan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 pm

Hello all! I’m new to the airboat community and quite overwhelmed with it all to say the least. I’m currently building a 16’x 6’ custom made airboat hull. Originally the boat was a 12’ boat with a Rotax 503 50HP Gear Box to 3 blade Prop. The boat will be used for bow fishing so I’m trying to keep it as light as possible also my budget for the fan setup and building my pancake and rudders is $10k. I’m not quite sure where to start with building the boat with my Chevy 350 Small block motor. I cant seem to find a DD bolt on kit for the motor or any DD adaptors to buy my prop separate. Any input is greatly appreciated, pictures would be great also thanks everyone. :)

sarros2004
Southern Airboat Member

Re: New to the Airboats - building my first boat.

Post by sarros2004 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:30 am

Hi and Welcome.

You are in the right place. Plenty of people who offer great advice on here. I am new also and could not have completed mine with out the in put from folks on here. My suggestion is to nail down your specs and get them on this post. I.e. confirm hull size, HP on motor, You suggested your hull will be 6 ft wide. That strikes me as narrow for a car motor boat, but again am new also. I just wish I had a wider hill when I put together my car motor setup, and mine is wider than yours. I wasn't direct drive though. Definitely need some saged opinions to get you on the right path. Pics would probably also help to see what hull you are working with.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: New to the Airboats - building my first boat.

Post by Slidin Gator » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:36 pm

Spootan (what's that mean?),

6 foot wide is really narrow for what your propose. 6' x 12' is very reasonable for a Rotax at 50 Hp, but it does not scale length wise vs HP, it scales on width. My suggestion would be to sell what you have and build/buy what you want/need.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”