Can`t Run Dry .....is it a lightweight ? or a Heavyweight ?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Can`t Run Dry .....is it a lightweight ? or a Heavyweigh

Post by Bubba » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Someone could make one hell of a livivg selling true 400 hp direct drive engines at 3000 rpms. This could be the best thing to happen to airboating in a long time!!!
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:26 pm

HASBEEN wrote:
Bdriller wrote:So what blades did u order and install and were not happy with the results, yur pikin thru the info u provide and not telling important info but continue to ask for opinions based on yur testing and lack of info , i suspect thats why yur not getting many responses, hell i dont even know why im responding other than it helps my digestion period.
Bdriller,

Are you serious :dontknow: go "digest" some more, tune out, stop worrying about my boat.
It`s obvious to me that (and maybe I`m wrong) that you have already made up your mind about my rig and my options for it. Although I have run your part of the Red several times, I don`t believe that I have had the pleasure of meeting and introducing myself. So I`m pretty sure that I will not convince you about what I`m saying.

I have tried with extreme detail, to explain, photograph, and document, everything that I`ve done ( without mentioning brand or company names) and still relate the overall facts.

If that hairlips you....I apologize until I can meet you, and buy you a cup of coffee, and you can explain to me why you`re bustin my ass.

just sayin.

A lot of knowledgeable folks (like you ) have offered good advice, and I have absorbed and appreciated most of it.

Yours has all been smart ass and negative.

Like that line from the movie about the bank robber with Nick Nolte....."pick another a$$hole"

Hasbeen
You Sir are a MF'ing genius! :salute: You'll do to ride the river with any day HASBEEN just keep pluggin' away and you'll find the sweet spot and a occasional a$$hole too! For some ole' poor bastard no getting any responses you sure do have 6 pages worth of 455 Buick DD love posted here!

Carry on Sir!

BB

P.S. It aint my rocks!
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Did you ever tie the transom to the stringers the bottom will never be right it will always flex upwards

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Dont mean to come across as a smartass , just saying that if your numbers are correct you will be the first person ever to have a 400 hp airboat that wont run dry gravel im not busting your ass your doing that yourself, youve obviously tried many props ranging from 285 hp to 400 hp and your still not convinced nor happy with the results, i can assure you that the day will come when you will look back on this situation and smile, by the way we ran the same askey on a 15' x 7 airgater with a 455 and 1.73 belt box heavy boat full aluminum deck back to engine turned the prop 2750 rpm and the boat would scare the piss out of you ond ground or water , i think your tach mite be off any way if we ever meet ill buy the beer, good luck with your project its all just a learning curve and well all get through it and graduate much smarter.
I only run up that way a coupla times a year if a friend invites me up, but if I get up there again I`ll let you buy the refreshments and we can compare notes. That "last" beer may have been what caused me to get a lil "punchy" last night.
I may have been out of bounds.

I need to clear something else up....I have "NO IDEA" what horsepower I have to work with, I didn`t build it, nor have I seen a dyno sheet. I bought it second hand from the State of Texas (and it indeed looked like junk)
I know it`s "strong" for several reasons, logic being one...the 4 different props that I`ve tried on it, have known performance requirements (minimum daily requirements) as far as hp and tq, and it has at minimum met those.

So I will say "adequate" is fine for me.

The engine has the intake and exhaust set up, and rebuild markings, to know it`s not a stock engine, plus the sound and feel of something a little extra.
We have a machine shop, (primarily Diesel engines) and I`m a "shade tree mechanic" so I`ve been around it enough to not drink the cool aid from the arm chair dyno.....

Don`t get lost in the numbers...it`s swingin the blades whether it`s 250-300 or 400 hp but the problem is it still stuck to the ground.(Brotherbob`s rocks)

That`s why I keep looking for a hull problem or a "prop match"

A lot of you guys had kept going back to the boat`s weight, engine etc....I had a great pm today from another SA member, regarding too many changes at once.
The weight is the same (less after I unloaded stuff and 2nd battery) the engine is the same and it ran some dry before I fouled up the bottom and started trying new props....so I need to methodically make corrections.

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 pm

todd glover wrote:Did you ever tie the transom to the stringers the bottom will never be right it will always flex upwards

No Todd I haven`t yet but I want to.

The boat is still down at Brotherbob`s River Ranch, but as soon as I can get it to run dry (probably tonight or tomorrow) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I`m going to bring it home and reinforce the transom. With the added jacks that should make it pretty stiff.

Thanks

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:34 am

I`ve fussed, cussed, and adjusted trying to get back to where I was....finally swapped to a "Long" hub and made a little improvement today.

Engine was cold, but it started rainin, so I didn`t wait on it to warm up.

Full tank of fuel, full storage box of "stuff", both batteries, and none of Brotherbob`s rocks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xSbLE ... load_owner

it ain`t "right"....but it`s an ....Improvement.

Anyway....it`s "My Other Boat"......my buddy`s talked me into buyin another one....how weak am I?

Hasbeen

BRAB46

Champ18ft
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Champ18ft » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:54 am

Your probably not gonna like this post, But that barge ain't ever gonna run dry with DD. Save yourself a lot of aggregation and either get a boat that will do what ya want or get this one set up right. Which means start out with adding a gear box. JMO
13-5' Gilleo Lazer 0-540 A/V 74" Q
ImageImage

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:03 am

i want to thank you, hasbeen!!!!! because after reading all 6 pages of this thread, i can appreciate my little GPU boat just a little more!!!

glad u got it running better!!

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:29 am

What finally happened

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:31 am

What finally happened

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Can`t Run Dry .....is it a lightweight ? or a Heavyweight ?

Post by HASBEEN » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:40 am

After seeing a new thread (yesterday) I went back and read this old story and realized I never responded to the last question.

The short answer is I sold Dirt Road Sport.

The "New" boat solved my problem with "Bob`s Rocks" and worrying about where I parked on dry ground :D

I keep asking myself the question...…"Why does anybody want an airboat ?.....I`ve already got a Wife.....AND two Bird Dogs"

Hardheaded I guess :banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auPkO_Ra-Yg

Hasbeen

BRAB46

Return to “Airboat Tech”