7:00 am 12* two hour truck ride.
We pushed the Mud boat, named the Agua cow into the COLD Missouri river no real boat ramp.
As it got lighter, our norm is having to use the 10 LED lights to see the bank and random mostly submerged islands, we found our first good looking coyote calling spot.
There is a lot of public lands that but up to the river that are not addressable by county roads. That's what we were targeting.
Most where Really not accessible to walk without repelling gear.
But most had some kind of drainage coming down to the river making a natural place to sit offshore and call. Most had a delta or island at the mouth to hide the boat and us.
We would call for about a half-hour. Some would have dogs show, some would not, Some would have them show up on TOP of the ridges on the skyline. Great fun, thankfully the fur season is over and we did not feel the need to retrieve any of the coyotes we shot.
In the mud and snot, it was WAY too much effort even for a picture.
We did this for most of 20 miles. There was a slight breeze from the northeast but the sun was full and it warmed up to a bommie 35*.
The trip up we had a lot of river fog and thousands of Canada geese, tundra swans, and ducks of all kinds bust-up just feet in front of us.
That was worth the trip in its self.
Our plan was to hunt up and fish down.
It turned out to be a very good plan.
We hit many great looking "Sucker holes" back eddy's and jigged for walleye. Even with the water running 32* we did very well.
No sturgeon but a gob of carp a few read tail suckers and WALLEYE.
They did not "Hit" the jigs they just kinda sucked them in and you would feel weight and pull them in. No catfish kind of odd.
We kept 3 a 28" and two 23"ers.
When we got back to the take out it was 40* and after 4:00 pm.
Banked the boat backed the truck down the now very slippery hillside trailer pointed downstream. The boy in the boat and I shoved him back out, HUM the mud motor would not start, Turned great just no go, as he is drifting off. He quickly jumped up to the front and dumped off the anchor to stop the drift.
To far to throw a rope to the bank, he put the mud motor prop into the water and used the started to drive the boat to the end of the trailer, from there we have a 25' winch strap I hooked to the boat and I winched him and the boat up on to the trailer. Some fast action and a crises was averted. Or was it?
We still had to get the truck and boat/trailer up the bank on to the semi-firm Montana two-track road. A dozen or so attempts the Chevy clawed it's way up to a flat spot.
And so goes another Great trip In Montana's outback.
The road out,30 miles was messy but makeable, and the 2-hour trip home was full of rehashing great shooting, and great fishing.
Airboats with smaller powerplants.
- Main Forum
- ↳ Airboat Talk
- ↳ Airboat Tech
- ↳ Airboat Sound
- ↳ Aircraft Power Only
- ↳ Automotive Power Only
- ↳ Prop Talk
- ↳ High Performance Talk
- ↳ Mini-Airboats
- ↳ Airboating Historical Archives
- ↳ Airboat Safety
- ↳ Navigational Hazards
- ↳ GPS Locations - Alaska
- ↳ GPS Locations - Florida (Central)
- ↳ GPS Locations - Florida (North)
- ↳ GPS Locations - Florida (South)
- ↳ GPS Locations - Georgia
- ↳ GPS Locations - Louisiana
- ↳ GPS Locations - Nebraska
- ↳ GPS Locations - Texas
- ↳ Airboat News
- ↳ Site Related
- ↳ Southern Airboat Classifieds
- Regional Airboating
- ↳ Alaska Airboaters
- ↳ Alaskan Airboating News & Events
- ↳ Alaskan Club Talk
- ↳ Florida Airboaters
- ↳ Florida Airboating News & Events
- ↳ Florida Club Talk
- ↳ Georgia Airboaters
- ↳ Georgia Airboating News & Events
- ↳ Georgia Club Talk
- ↳ Louisiana Airboaters
- ↳ Louisiana Airboating News & Events
- ↳ Louisiana Club Talk
- ↳ Michigan Airboaters
- ↳ Michigan Airboating News & Events
- ↳ Michigan Club Talk
- ↳ Nebraska Airboaters
- ↳ Nebraska Airboating News & Events
- ↳ Nebraska Club Talk
- ↳ Texas Airboaters
- ↳ Texas Airboating News & Events
- ↳ Texas Club Talk
- ↳ Utah Airboaters
- Other Intersting Stuff
- ↳ On the Hill
- ↳ Out Back
- ↳ Hunting & Fishing
- ↳ Texas
- ↳ Gun Talk
- ↳ Gun Rights
- ↳ Redneck Cuisine
- ↳ Other Important News
- ↳ Buggy Talk
- ↳ Eastern Airlines Flt 401 Crash
- ↳ Archived Airboat Events
- ↳ Freedom Ride
- ↳ Operation Airboat III
- ↳ Feburary Ride
- ↳ Operation Airboat II
- ↳ March Ride
- ↳ October Ride/Meet
- ↳ September Ride/Meet
- ↳ August Ride/Meet
- ↳ July Ride/Meet
- ↳ June Ride/Meet
- ↳ May Ride/Meet
- ↳ April Ride/Meet
- ↳ March Meet/Run - Orange Lake??
- ↳ February Meet/Run (what'll we call it?)
- ↳ Ride The Bus Into 2006
- ↳ December 3rd Run/Meet - Toys for Tot's Airboat Style
- ↳ October 8th Run/Meet - Milk Bus on Lake Kissimmee
- ↳ Operation Airboat - August 27, 2005
- ↳ Fun in the Run - July 30, 2005
- ↳ Okeechobee Run - June 25
- ↳ First Southern Airboat Monthly Run Set For Saturday, May 28
- ↳ Airboat Association of Florida Annual BBQ
- ↳ Seminole County Airboat Club 5th Year Birthday Party
- ↳ KRVSA Cleanup & 2008 Member SA Celebration
- By Invitation Only
- ↳ AHA (Airboater's Helping Airboaters)