WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Airboat propeller discussion.
Post Reply
WhirlWindProps
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by WhirlWindProps »

Hi, WhirlWind Propellers here!

We wanted to reach out the the SA community and give you all a chance to ask some propeller/engineering questions.

We also have quartly news letter call Props and Hulls that we send out via email. Anyone is welcome to subscribe to receive emails on exclusive propeller deals, tech tips, and other Whirlwind News. https://whirlwindpropellers.com/airboat ... ls-signup/

Here is a link to our Bargains Page https://whirlwindpropellers.com/airboats/bargains/; make sure to check regularly for smoking deals in our constantly revolving inventory!
Instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/whirlwindairboatpropellers/
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/whirlwindpropellers/
Propellers: https://whirlwindpropellers.com/airboats/propellers/
Most airboat propellers we keep in stock ready to ship out the same day you order!
Give us a shout at 619-562-3725 or wwpc@whirlwindpropellers.com

Everyone should already know about the latest and greatest:
Whirl Wind Propeller's CarbonMax™ airboat propeller series features a proprietary carbon-fiber weave construction and the QuickChange™ Hub blade pitch indicator system that is designed to be the easiest and most accurate pitch setting system on the market.
AB200finalHub_white_03_lowRes.jpg
quick pitch system.jpg

User avatar
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by Prototype »

Thanks Patti, if this is Patti posting? I did get your offer for free roll of tp with new prop sale! Funny butt,, true in some florida areas?
Now that the TP crunch is over in Florida, How is Calli dealing with all those paper towels being flushed?
I guess I did hijack this post for no other reason to know if your booting thru shit and your shelves are full?

WhirlWindProps
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by WhirlWindProps »

Prototype wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:27 pm
Thanks Patti, if this is Patti posting? I did get your offer for free roll of tp with new prop sale! Funny butt,, true in some florida areas?
Now that the TP crunch is over in Florida, How is Calli dealing with all those paper towels being flushed?
I guess I did hijack this post for no other reason to know if your booting thru shit and your shelves are full?
Actually this is Hunter (engineering) posting. We've been busy making sales and even busier trying to keep our shelves full so we can continue to put out orders the same day they come in.

User avatar
Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:14 pm
Location: Weeki Wachee, Fl

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by Rick McC. »

Thanks; I just signed up for your newsletter.
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

User avatar
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 804
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by Prototype »

WhirlWindProps wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:52 pm
Prototype wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:27 pm
Thanks Patti, if this is Patti posting? I did get your offer for free roll of tp with new prop sale! Funny butt,, true in some florida areas?
Now that the TP crunch is over in Florida, How is Calli dealing with all those paper towels being flushed?
I guess I did hijack this post for no other reason to know if your booting thru shit and your shelves are full?
Actually this is Hunter (engineering) posting. We've been busy making sales and even busier trying to keep our shelves full so we can continue to put out orders the same day they come in.
Hunter,
What do you have in the 88inch range? LHR.
I recently built a new blown boat that cavitated 3 88's on 27 and went to a 4 blade 88 on 22 that is about perfect! No roll, all push!
I was a S blade or Jx user, but never hurts to ask if you have something in the works to push vs roll!

WhirlWindProps
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by WhirlWindProps »

Hi, sorry for the delayed response:
Our largest propeller diameter is 84". The roll effect comes from the propeller having a higher pitch if it doesn't have enough blade area to produce thrust at its ideal pitch. This can be solved with wide blades (check out our SUPER WIDE Carbon Max blades: https://whirlwindpropellers.com/airboat ... on-max-sw/) or with more blades (we've made hubs for 12 bladed RazorX propellers). The 'Push' vs 'Roll' ends up translating directly into propeller efficiency, so to make sure you have an efficient propeller for your application you'll want to call and tell us your horse power and rpm and if you mostly operate at low speed or high speed.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by terrible ted »

Please explain what the roll Is?

User avatar
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm
Location: Jupiter Farms, Florida

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by Slidin Gator »

According to my wife, this is a roll:

Image

She calls these biscuits:

Image

I just eat em.

Dad Jokes Rule :thumbleft:
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

User avatar
M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by M0RYAK »

Slidin Gator wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 pm


I just eat em.

It looks like so tasty. You are lucky. Bon appetite.

User avatar
M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by M0RYAK »

Do you have any information about using the Whisper tip on the diesel engine?

WhirlWindProps
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by WhirlWindProps »

terrible ted wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Please explain what the roll Is?
Slidin Gator pretty much nailed it, but I'll give some info on where the roll comes from when it's not fresh out'a the oven.
Torque Roll is the when torque of the engine is trying to rock your boat sideways. This happens in 2 ways: 1) when you punch the throttle and the blades are accelerating and 2) when you're cruising at high rpm and you have the torque of dragging the blades through the air.
To reduce the 1st type of torque roll, you want a lightweight propeller with all the weight at the hub and very little weight out toward the tip to minimize inertia.
To reduce the 2nd type of torque roll, you want thin, sharp trailing edges and efficient airfoil/blade planform with tapered tips to minimize the drag of each blade.
For both cases you have to have a propeller with the right blade area for your engine, otherwise you'll be swinging it with too much or too little pitch and won't get an efficient air flow.

WhirlWindProps
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:44 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by WhirlWindProps »

M0RYAK wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:43 pm
Do you have any information about using the Whisper tip on the diesel engine?
We have a few customers who use the Whisper tip (and now the Carbon Max) on diesel engines, but the high compression in diesel engines means eventually you will probably develop structural cracks in the blades. You can do it, but get in a habit of regularly inspecting the hub and blades so if it ever does start to crack, you notice it before it gets too bad.

User avatar
M0RYAK
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by M0RYAK »

WhirlWindProps wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:32 pm
M0RYAK wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:43 pm
Do you have any information about using the Whisper tip on the diesel engine?
We have a few customers who use the Whisper tip (and now the Carbon Max) on diesel engines, but the high compression in diesel engines means eventually you will probably develop structural cracks in the blades. You can do it, but get in a habit of regularly inspecting the hub and blades so if it ever does start to crack, you notice it before it gets too bad.
It's very important information. Thank you!

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by terrible ted »

I know what torque roll is. I guess I dense on slang of just saying roll.



WhirlWindProps wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:28 pm
terrible ted wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Please explain what the roll Is?
Slidin Gator pretty much nailed it, but I'll give some info on where the roll comes from when it's not fresh out'a the oven.
Torque Roll is the when torque of the engine is trying to rock your boat sideways. This happens in 2 ways: 1) when you punch the throttle and the blades are accelerating and 2) when you're cruising at high rpm and you have the torque of dragging the blades through the air.
To reduce the 1st type of torque roll, you want a lightweight propeller with all the weight at the hub and very little weight out toward the tip to minimize inertia.
To reduce the 2nd type of torque roll, you want thin, sharp trailing edges and efficient airfoil/blade planform with tapered tips to minimize the drag of each blade.
For both cases you have to have a propeller with the right blade area for your engine, otherwise you'll be swinging it with too much or too little pitch and won't get an efficient air flow.
[/quot

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2864
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: WhirlWind Propellers to Answer Your Engineering Questions

Post by terrible ted »

I know what torque roll is. I guess I dense on slang of just saying roll.


Gator pretty much nailed it, but I'll give some info on where the roll comes from when it's not fresh out'a the oven.
Torque Roll is the when torque of the engine is trying to rock your boat sideways. This happens in 2 ways: 1) when you punch the throttle and the blades are accelerating and 2) when you're cruising at high rpm and you have the torque of dragging the blades through the air.
To reduce the 1st type of torque roll, you want a lightweight propeller with all the weight at the hub and very little weight out toward the tip to minimize inertia.
To reduce the 2nd type of torque roll, you want thin, sharp trailing edges and efficient airfoil/blade planform with tapered tips to minimize the drag of each blade.
For both cases you have to have a propeller with the right blade area for your engine, otherwise you'll be swinging it with too much or too little pitch and won't get an efficient air flow.

Post Reply

Return to “Prop Talk”