Redfish Reports

Stories, places to go, techniques, equipment, etc..
barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Redfish Reports

Post by barhopper »

I’m with ya. I’m off for two weeks starting a Friday. I plan to be on the coast quite a bit during that time.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Looking forward to next week. My brother is coming in from Virginia on wed next week we are fishing thurs and fri. We did great 2 weeks ago caught 5 trout over 20" and a number of mid slot reds 1 26.5" fish. 1st negative tide I fished was rough on the boat I swear the rocks move from year to year lol.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by barhopper »

I believe they grow. Some areas I used to fish are so bad now that I won’t go there. Used to be mud and sand with a few rocks. When it’s to bad for me you can bet it’s bad. There are plenty of other places and I’m finding new ones every time I go. That’s after thirty plus years of fishing in the same area.

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

I would guess it’s related to weather we have had the lsat couple years just washing the sand away?

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

BTW if any of ya'll knew Captain Herb Wilkerson he passed away 2 weeks ago. He was a guide in the yankeetown to cedar key area for many years.

There is a Celebration of life at The Gulf Hammock Fish Club on Dec 14.. More information on the facebook gulf hammock fishing club site.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by barhopper »

Laid to them yesterday. Same as before, caught fish at every stop. We did catch bigger slot fish and a few over slot. Trout bite as good also. Tried a few places I haven’t been to in awhile. Man the mangroves are growing like they’re being fertilized. Great time with the boys. It was cool all day but the fishing was hot.

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

Yep we made a run Sat with some family from down South, as you said the fishing has turned on. We haven’t caught many top slot reds yet but we caught a ton of fish,this weather is gettin perfect!!
Attachments
78F18301-2B4B-4F37-AF15-26F0226D2058.jpeg

CJM
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CJM »

Getting close to that time of year again. Looking to get into some good redfishing once gator season ends. Any recent reports? Probably not much with the hot water.

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

All my crew fish negative tides in the fall,, Waitin on October and some cool weather

CJM
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CJM »

I have been searching for productive holes for a couple years now and have yet to find one that consistently holds fish. I seem to catch more fish at creek mouths or oyster bars out in the open. I know there are honey holes that hold fish year round at low tide.

When you are hunting for the low tide holes, how far back are you running before you turn around and call an individual creek a waste of time? I'd love to hear some advice for hunting down some new spots - not looking for GPS numbers but more just looking for techniques or tricks to help find my own. I've tried using Google earth. A lot of the time I find those salts ponds at the end of a creek are just empty with no life in them.

I'm interested to hear some advice. Thanks in advance.

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

We seem to have the best luck in the deepest spots that have rocky bottom, Seems like the fish are near the gulf at the start of fall and end up further in as it gets colder.

CJM
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CJM »

So are you stopping at every major turn in each creek and fishing for 15 minutes before moving on or are you looking for something different?

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

What area do you fish?I I fish the waccasassa bay area It is a little more rocky (nasty sharp rocks I get about 3 years out of my 3/8") and the water is not as clear as north and south of that area.
I fish out of a small fishing club just purchased by one of the SA members dad. He has spent a good deal of money redoing several aspects of the club and created a nice more family oriented club. Gulf Hammock Fish Club
I spend time during the warmer months exploring on low tide to find holes.

Like Swap said during the warm times creek mouths bars and grass line at higher time. Colder is more back in the creeks.

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

There’s not a magic spot, a lot things can hold fish. Bars,creek intersections,natural bottom contour. Look for sign where people have been, mashed down grass where someone parked, footprints up and down the shore, It’s a lot of trail and error...

CJM
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CJM »

I live in Newberry and have fished up and down the entire big bend for years, from CR to Keaton. I have not been down the Wacassassa in an airboat, but I know about the club because I've been to the public ramp. I'll have to give the Wacassassa a try.

So far I've been concentrating on areas around shell mound.

I appreciate the heads up on trial and error. Gator season is almost over and cold weather is around the corner so need to start ridding some creeks and finding holes at lower tides.

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

There’s a lot of tell tale sign where people fish,,, Good Luck

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

We did ok this weekend caught 5 reds over 30" and some nice snook. 1 22" trout.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by barhopper »

Snook in Wacassassa? Nice! My dang boat is upside down right now waiting on polymer. Supposed to come in the next day or two. Been waiting awhile.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Barhopper redid my poly in march, Whata pain.

And yes sir been catching a number of 12"-22" snook. Both north and south, what's interest up north more so in the sandy creeks and down south out around the bars. Was jigging with a green lantern.

A few of the kicker boat guys caught their limit in trout. And we didn't catch the reds where I thought we would almost like winter fishing.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by barhopper »

Where did you get your polymer from?

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Dewayne Hobkirk over near inverness
Will PM you his number