Junkyard 6.0 longevity

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Junkyard 6.0 longevity

Post by One Eyed Gator »

There is also an LS forum ls1tech.com. There is a lot of information on that site.

90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 90chevy396 »

well while having fuel issues my boat died several times on a plane and I mean just shut down without power loss or anything and as long as I hit the bow knowing from previous conversations with family that's run the same set up. the problem with airboats is the weight in the rear transfer as much weight as possible to the front as quickly as you can with any failure and you have a good chance of staying afloat. 13'6" boat 455 and 4 adults over 200lbs when died and stayed afloat as long as 2 people hit the bow
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack »

When you are on the plane, say 20mph and the engine quits, is it possible to turn and face the following wave or would there not be enough time or momentum (or rudder authority) to get turned around in time? Just asking out of interest? Prolly wind and other stuff would come into it as well? :shock:
Last edited by CactusJack on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll »

Cactus, I am interested in discussing that but in typical SA fashion we are once again drifting off the main topic of this thread :drunken:

kenderkng, Go with the 6.0 and buy from a reputable parts dealer if possible to get a good running take out engine. The ebay member I bought from had good feedback.

These new generation motors are good for well over 100k miles before airboat use, unlike the old style small blocks IMO.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack »

Woops, my bad :oops: :wink:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

kenderkng
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by kenderkng »

I have been looking for a good one.

Another question along same guide of 6.0

. I see a fair amount running the lq4 motors instead of the lq9 in the Class of airboaters ( lack for a better word more Budget minded ppl). Is that because price and simple availability or is the 300hp lq4 sturdy enough of a platform to run a family boat with in reason. Or should the 345hp lq9 be waited for and bought instead?

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

If you are looking for a motor try Car-parts.com You need the make, model and yr of the vehicle that has the motor you want.

It is a search engine for all the wrecking yards, not just Florida.

Will give basic info on motor/parts, price and distance from your location based on zip code.

Also by looking it will give and idea of the going price if you find one from and private individual.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll »

kenderkng wrote:I have been looking for a good one.

Another question along same guide of 6.0

. I see a fair amount running the lq4 motors instead of the lq9 in the Class of airboaters ( lack for a better word more Budget minded ppl). Is that because price and simple availability or is the 300hp lq4 sturdy enough of a platform to run a family boat with in reason. Or should the 345hp lq9 be waited for and bought instead?
I would have liked to get an lq9 but availability and price led me to the LQ4. LQ9 just has a higher compression, i believe.

Either engine mated to a 2.37 or 2.68 ratio box and 3 blade prop such as the R or Whispertip will work fine for a family cruiser.

PM me your email address for an LQ4 manual if you want to.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac »

We have had quite a few of them in trucks at work, and every one has needed an oil pump at
around 150,000 mi. Oil pump is not that costly, and many of them now have well over 200,000
just change that oil pump before you get started.
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

noisemaker
Southern Airboat Member

Post by noisemaker »

What prop are you running dd on a 6.0 ls

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Any of the 70-74" 2 Blade prop Don't know that there to many out running.

FYI you can gain compression by swapping to set of 706 heads. On my 6.0 (gearbox motor) I took the 2.00 intake valve out of the 317 head that came on the 6.0 and had them put in my 706. 317 has a 70cc chamber where the 706 is a 61cc chamber should bump the compression to around 10.4/10.5:1 instead of 9.5:1. You will need new gaskets and heads though.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

noisemaker wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 pm
What prop are you running dd on a 6.0 ls
I'm running 4 88's, but has nothing to do with this post of 2015 or the advanced knowledge of LS since 2015?

I do have a sbc and or bridge for sale if DD is really your thing from 2015?

Return to “Automotive Power Only”