ECOTEC 2.0 LTG SWAP

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Re: ECOTEC 2.0 LTG SWAP

Post by br,lc,LA »

E39A or you can drop Jerry at BNR a quick email to see if he thinks the E80 is crackable.
12x7'6" American Airboat
1.4L GM Ecotec - BNR GTX250 Turbo
2:1 Century Ecotec Drive
2-bld Whisper Tip 72
"Nothin' as Fine as Hearing a Turbo Whine"

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Could not get Jerry to return my call or email. Mitch is looking at the E39A and 2014 regal.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CWAIS »

Hang in there Eddie !!!!!

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Not giving up yet Chuck but I am making an alternate plan for about 500HP and 4 more cylinders :D . I'm not saying that if someone offered me a fair price for my motor, gearbox, and other junk that I would not be tempted to take it..........

UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by UnoWho »

Hello FishSticker,

My name is Mike. Phone # 352 235 5521. I sent an email to Trifecta Performance________ Re: Support Request created via Contact Us Form

Hello,

Thanks for the inquiry and passing along the news. Sorry to hear about Chuck's passing. I asked Vince about this and he requested, more information. He would like to know what year year the engine and ECM is, if they were sourced together, and what type the donor vehicle was?

Thanks,

Michael

TRIFECTA Performance Support

Vince is the original tuner for Ecotec Airboat Motors. Take Russ's opinion with a grain of salt. You have a stock LTG. Vince's tune will work fine. If you could reach JB 550 on southern airboat by private message or reaching out on the forums to ask him his opinion. Pass me the information and I will send it to Trifecta. Reach me by phone is okay.

Best regards,
Mike

UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by UnoWho »

Russ I do not mean any disrespect to you. Chuck told me you had a disagreement with Vince.
My apologies to you in advance.

Regards,
Mike

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OneBFC »

No worries on my end.

My recommendation to avoid that company will stay the same however. I personally paid him twice for the same "tune" and never got a proper one out the deal.

No sense in rehashing it out again here 7 years later either as its not going to help FishSticker out at all.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by br,lc,LA »

UnoWho... I know that Vince helped Chuck originally, but BNR is a better outfit and has been much more friendly to work with than Trifecta. Standalone tunes take time and Jerry has been very responsive to every lil tweak I needed plus the upgrades done that BNR sells
12x7'6" American Airboat
2-bld Whisper Tip 72

UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by UnoWho »

Thanks Russ. Did you upgrade to a Borg Warner Turbo EFR series? Chuck said you used ZZP for tuning. Can ZZP tune a LHU ECM? Better question can they unlock the ECM like Vince was doing? I have the K04 with a big wheel upgrade from PWERKS. Vince's stock tune comes up short. Do you think ZZP can give me a tune? The big wheel upgrade gives about 10% more intake air.

UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by UnoWho »

Hello br,lc,LA,

Vince gave that one on one service for Chuck. Chuck started with a LNF from a junk yard out of North Carolina in 2010. Chuck built a variety of motors. He did a 2.0l supercharge, a five cylinder Atlas,and the hard one the LAF. Vince wrote a special program for that LAF. Chuck would on buy a LAF with a certain serial number if my memory is correct. Chuck built a bunch of ECOTECs. Without Vince none of these motors would run. Chuck had a great relationship with Vince. Vince's tunes are for stock motors. The tune from Vince for a stock LTG works. Its a locked tune. Obliviously you can not adjust it but why would you. Fishsticker I would buy Vince,s tune and be done with it. Your project is a year old. I would reach out to JB 550. He ran his LTG for a couple of years. Get his opinion.

Cheers,
Mike

br,lc,LA
Southern Airboat Member

Post by br,lc,LA »

UnoWho... I know that Vince helped Chuck originally, but BNR is a better outfit and has been much more friendly to work with than Trifecta. Standalone tunes take time and Jerry has been very responsive to every lil tweak I needed plus the upgrades done that BNR sells
12x7'6" American Airboat
2-bld Whisper Tip 72

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Unowho thank you for getting me that number brother. I will call and see if I can talk to him tomorrow. I have not tried Trifecta.

UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by UnoWho »

Fishsticker here is another tuner......http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/

Jerry@BNR
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Jerry@BNR »

Hey all,

We still do standalone tuning but we have gotten to where we're doing less and less of it, mostly because it takes so much time and there's only one of me. I'll still take them on here and there though, if you're interested in one, shoot me an email jerry@badnewsracing.net and we'll discuss.

-Jerry@BNR

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Made a ride today. Only making about 14-16 psi boost. RPM'S right now top out at 4400-4500....then the ECU pulls it back to 4200 with the way it's currently pitched and tuned. It planes off in deep water in about the length of the boat with two people. Pulls very hard. It will break dry ground in tall weeds with 4 adults at 3300 rpm. Cruise in deep water is 2800 rpm with 4 people......2500 with just me. I don't know how much HP I still have to squeeze out but it's pretty impressive right now. I believe the right tuner experienced with the LTG can get it to hold 20-21 psi boost and make quite a bit more power than it is now.

Thank all you guys for your help and insight. If anyone is thinking of going with the LTG email me and I'll share any info I have with you. arccengineering@hotmail.com. I'll give you the scoop on the most important parts........the problems. I have to say..... had I known the issues I would have with regard to lack of support out there for this motor (in standalone).....and GM discontinuing the $2400 standalone ECU and Harness (that was always my backup plan)....I would likely have gone with another motor. One with more support. I am very excited about the potential efficiency of this motor, the size of the package, and how damn quiet it is! I think I will be happy in the long run but the 6 months of dealing with the tuning issues wore me slap out.

I have reached out to ZZP, Jerry at BNR and Trifecta to discuss hiring one of them to finish the tuning. As I understand it Trifecta locks their tunes but to be honest if they can provide me with a locked ECU with a good tune making full power (300 hp ish) I would be fine with that. I would of course prefer access to the tune so that as I become more informed about how to tune properly I could make changes. At this point ZZP is the only one to get back with me and they are willing to help.

I'll keep you guys posted on any notable progress. Again thank all you guys for your help. I'll post up a few photos and maybe try linking youtube for a video or two. I plan to come ride with you florida guys next year.

Eddie.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Good news:

Upgraded intercooler and she ran like a Boss. 21 psi boost....IAT is actually cooler than ambient, no knock, runs great.

Russ warned me :D
Last edited by FISHSTICKER on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Bad news:

Changed coolant lines and had trouble getting the air out of the system. Played with it for a while and thought I got it done. Went ride and coolant temp climbed to 240....let it idle and it dropped to 190. Went another mile to my buddy’s camp and parked it with temp at 220. Was going to let It cool and try to top off the coolant again..... water started blowing out the overflow and then started dripping out the exhaust. Didn’t even try to start it after that. I pulled it back to the truck and brought it home. Had coolant residue at the intake. None visible in the cylinders..... but it would have evaporated....none visible in the oil...I drained out the bottom quart....bore scope showed the Pistons look normal. None can be seen in the intercooler. I feel pretty sure I popped the head gasket somewhere...could have warped the head. So it will be getting pulled down and checked.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

BEST NEWS:

Ordered another motor with 3000 miles and it will be here Friday. $1100 delivered. I’ll swap them and plan the monster build on the take off. Hopefully no block or head damage. 100% my stupidity.

I think I can do the swap in one long day.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

REAL INTERCOOLER

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

$1100 bucks and some sweat equity aint bad at all to replace a blown motor!! :salute:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

kwanjangnihm wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:12 pm
$1100 bucks and some sweat equity aint bad at all to replace a blown motor!! :salute:
How much is a man's ego really worth :scratch:
FISHSTICKER wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:55 am
Bad news:
Blah Blah Blah

I pulled it back to the truck and brought it home.

Blah Blah Blah ... getting another disposable motor.

Blah Blah Blah
That's 2 tow runs (that we know of) back to the ramp this year. :violent1:

I would suggest adding a custom fit canvas cover. Pack that cover in the boat so you can put it on before the next tow so folks won't see all that flashy SST and know it's you. :stirpot:

Seriously though, I'd be over to help you wrench if I was closer. I'd at least come drink beer and rib yah some more. Get that damn thing running good and come on down, I know some great places to blow up another :cheers:
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Yea I certainly didn’t plan on taking advantage of the cheap motor replacement so soon but oh well....I wanted a spare motor anyway.

Getting towed back ain’t so bad as long as you have beer and friends 8)

Return to “Automotive Power Only”