Tungsten poly screws

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
graffixx
Southern Airboat Member

Tungsten poly screws

Post by graffixx »

Haven't been on in a while but has anyone thought about using tungsten screws on poly. On hard surface they would not wear. I know on snowmobiles a tungsten bar on the ski will last for several years with alot of asphault time. They would be expensive. You could get them from China for probably .50 a piece but the boat should ride on the screws and not wear the poly once the poly seats in

OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Tungsten poly screws

Post by OneBFC »

Why?

Bucked aluminum rivets, no issues ever.

Its a wheel that can't be made more round imo.

Weight alone would be a hard pass for me.

Let us know how it works out if you try it!
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

If you can coat the whole hull with tungsten, then I might be in. Otherwise, tungsten sticking out past poly in the weeds sounds like a bunch of brakes to me.

Brakes are for cars.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype »

Go search your favorite island for that thought? Many think stainless is okay to drag around but few encounter concrete!
Concrete will show what your dragging real fast!
It's not the art of better screws placed 4x4 or 6x6 and more of flat recessed so the plastic bottom takes it.
Bottoms are a wear out item for some but not in protruding metal screw fashion or rivets?
Most fail in this very aspect of water restriction, not to mention mud or dry running!
1000 hp boats are dogs with bad bottoms!

graffixx
Southern Airboat Member

Post by graffixx »

Gotcha I guess the polly would wear around them and leave them sticking out. It was just a thought. They use tungsten concrete grinding machines and I was just day dreaming with an idea

Return to “Airboat Tech”