Engine oil

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Kjlineman
Southern Airboat Member

Engine oil

Post by Kjlineman »

What’s y’all opinion on oil for a continental gpu? It’s a 4cly with 520 gtsio jugs. There’s aeroshell w120 in there now and have been told that 15w-50 full synthetic will work fine. I would like to get away from aeroshell because it’s tougher for me to find. What y’all think is better to run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Engine oil

Post by Slidin Gator »

If you want to get away from aeroshell, look at Philips Victory, it's an aviation oil and I find it for 60-70% the price. I just bought two cases of the Philips 100AW to try (I have been running Aeroshell 100W forever). I will let you know in 10 years if it made any difference vs. aeroshell. :dontknow:

I do know that the Philips AW grade adds a Lycoming mandated antiscuff/antiwear additive to improve cam life (an O-320 in issue in particular). Given that the Continental cams are below the crank, vs. the Lycoming cam above, this is probably not much of a consideration for your GPU. The Philips "A" or "AW" grades should work just fine for the GPU, whatever you can find. Oil weight (viscosity) should be based on normal operating temp and oil pressure.

The primary additive of significance in aviation oils is the Ashless Dispersant, which helps move the gunk that AV engines produce into the filter. The break in oil does not have this additive as it interferes with break in and is pretty much a mineral oil.

Do NOTE that the Phillips "A" grade reads as equivalent to the Aeroshell "W" grade (both have Ashless Dispersants). The Phillips "AW" grade adds the cam additive. Don't get your A's and W's mixed up.

Aviation 100 is an SAE 50 weight oil. Aviation 120 is a SAE 60 weight. They have no additives other than as designated by the A's and W's. I know guys with 1,000+ hours on break in oil. They bought a 55 gallon drum of break in oil originally, after running several hundred hours on the engine they didn't want to change to a detergent oil and all the sudden loosen everything up? Motors running, don't screw up a good thing. :scratch:

I have never tried running car motor oil in my aviation engine, that's something car motor guys would do. :stirpot: The additive packages are different, but if I were to try, I would use a Diesel grade as they are higher detergent. Let me know in 10 years how it worked out. :scratch:
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Kjlineman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Kjlineman »

Good Info there, thanks for the feedback. I will look into that Phillips oil and see how readily available it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Slidin Gator wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Don't get your A's and W's mixed up
Gonna keep runnin aeroshell and keepin my A&W just like it is ........... :toothy7:

He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

kwanjangnihm wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 pm
Slidin Gator wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 pm
Don't get your A's and W's mixed up
Gonna keep runnin aeroshell and keepin my A&W just like it is ........... :toothy7:

Let me help you out Kwan, you were looking for this: :cheers:

The thing is, there is not a whole hell of a lot of magic involved in aviation oil, it's straight mineral oil with some specific additives. The recipe hasn't changed much since the 50's, just better base stocks (read mineral oil). Aeroshell has the name, so they get the premium, but they don't even add the LW-16702 additive, which I assume is STP oil treatment in a different bottle. But if you own a plane, you gotta go buy a bottle of that too. Phillips throws the STP in for free (actually for less than Shell). I have a hard time believing the base oil is significantly different.

The Phillips Victory AW meets the following Lycoming service bulletins, Aeroshell users have to find another bottle of stuff. I don't know why it does not cover the whole fleet, but it seems like something useful for all aviation engines.

https://www.lycoming.com/content/servic ... in-no-446e
https://www.lycoming.com/content/servic ... in-no-471b
MODELS AFFECTED

Lycoming O­320­H, O­360­E, LO­360­E, TO­360­E and LTO­360­E series engines.
Lycoming TIO-541-and TIGO-541 series engines.

The additive contains an anti-scuffing agent. Laboratory tests indicate that occasionally when an engine is first started, particularly if the engine has not been used for an extended period, during cold weather, for a very brief interval there is insufficient residual oil between moving parts; this can reduce the service life of components. The additive helps to maintain a film of lubricant to help protect the engine during the initial start-up.
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/ ... ditive.pdf

I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

SG,

I can see you and I read alot sir!! :D

With my AV 540 I kept it pretty simple, Aeroshell 100, tempest oil filter, CamGuard and changed the oil/filter every 25 hours. :salute:

https://resources.savvyaviation.com/wp- ... -stuff.pdf

Excerpt from above article: "For most of the airplanes we manage, we recommend AeroShell W100 with a pint of CamGuard added at each oil change. That’s what I use in my airplane, and my two engines are at nearly 200 percent of time between overhauls (TBO) and still going strong. For wintertime operations in cold climates, I recommend Phillips X/C 20W-50 multigrade with a pint of CamGuard."

Yea changing the oil every 25 hours gets expensive, but as you know, having piece of mind when your out in the middle of the marsh is priceless!!
RudderShuffle.gif
RudderShuffle.gif (2.04 MiB) Viewed 140 times
:old_glory: :florida: :rebel:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”