Unadvertised Sensenich props

Airboat propeller discussion.
aircool
Southern Airboat Member

Unadvertised Sensenich props

Post by aircool »

A prop made for AC engines not listed on the website?

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Unadvertised Sensenich props

Post by DAGWOOD0520 »

You can contact me directly at any of the links below, we make a bunch of things not listed on the site. This is mostly to try and
keep the site less confusing to new Airboater's that don't know the history behind the composite models and the developments with
newer products over the years.. long story short, if you want something or have seen something or even heard something about a certain product that Sensenich is making, just call us or email the site and ask and we will do our best to give you helpful information for the product you are searching for.

NorthWestFloridaBoy
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by NorthWestFloridaBoy »

That's great news to hear! I was thinking about you the other day when I was reading some older stuff on here, wondering if you were still around on here. I guess this answers that question and then some. I was so impressed with the durability of my old Sensenich Kevlar wrapped wood prop and how much abuse I put it through without it coming apart that I've always been patiently waiting for the day when I place my order for an adjustable prop from you guys.

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DAGWOOD0520 »

Believe it or not, we still make more wood Airboat props than most people think we do and we have given much thought to
bridging the gap between fixed pitch wood and new age composite fabrication, but there are many factors that come into
play. Maybe we can focus more on this at some point after other projects are finished that we really are focused on at this time.
Also,
At some point I am sure we will update the website with a few things that we have released to the market, but at this time, many of the
unadvertised props are our highest volume of products being ordered... it's been a long time since we have been able to let products sale
it's self, but man it feels good when it does. Guys that run them and show others what they are capable of comes with a boat load of satisfaction that no amount of marketing can give you.

Thanks again

OasisCampStairstep
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OasisCampStairstep »

My last airboat had a 180 lycoming and IIRC a 66''x32" or maybe it was a 68'' I ordered through Jamie Cloninger. That was about 1993 roughly. As I recall, the composite props were just beginning to come on strong; what are the advantages? Adjusting pitch one?

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DAGWOOD0520 »

OasisCampStairstep wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:29 pm
My last airboat had a 180 lycoming and IIRC a 66''x32" or maybe it was a 68'' I ordered through Jamie Cloninger. That was about 1993 roughly. As I recall, the composite props were just beginning to come on strong; what are the advantages? Adjusting pitch one?
The big one is maintenance, wood props require extra care, routine re-torques & refinishing to keep them in good condition for safe operation. You also need to leave wood props horizontally if stored for extended times to help maintain balance. The other relative problem is newer engines that are being built with different camshafts, compression ratios, electronic ignition & fuel systems etc.. and trying to nail down a power rating to correctly pitch the prop because as you know, if it's not right, your really stuck with what you have or a 2nd prop will need to be purchased.
Composite props are for the most part maintenance free if you don't care about how the prop looks after the sun has worked on the surface resin layer for a few years. We have always recommended customers to use a good marine polish for use on off shore boats, but it can be a bit of a chore to care for them if you run your boat hard or hunt in areas that are overgrown. Also, there is recommended bolt torque checks, but again, many guys stop after they have checked them 2 or 3 times and find that the bolts are always at full torque.
Composite props are much more responsive in most cases, you can adjust them for the best performance style that the user wants and the airfoils can be loaded a bit differently to help cover a larger range of a performance window.
Depending on the engine builder (especially when it comes to A/C engines), there are speculations on how the hollow blades affect longevity of internal parts of the engines, but based on sales, blades made and years of service, we can not find any correlation to the effectiveness of these claims. Currently, we are close to having 50,000 blades or so in circulation just for the Airboat market and we are very close to making blade #80,000 when we count all of the combined markets that we manufacture composite blades for. These numbers tell us that composites are definitely the way to go... also, unless something has changed, insurance companies won't write polices for boats running wood props either.
Hope this info is useful, Thanks.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Darrin that is a great post with excellent info!! :thumbleft:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DAGWOOD0520 »

kwanjangnihm wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:08 pm
Darrin that is a great post with excellent info!! :thumbleft:
Just trying to help, Thank you.

fhp6
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by fhp6 »

Nice post Darrin!! Mike White
:old_glory: FHP6
Citrus County Airboat Alliance (Member)
"USMC"
:florida:

OasisCampStairstep
Southern Airboat Member

Post by OasisCampStairstep »

Thanks! I think you pretty well covered it. I still like the way an old wood prop looks..........

DAGWOOD0520
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by DAGWOOD0520 »

OasisCampStairstep wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:41 pm
Thanks! I think you pretty well covered it. I still like the way an old wood prop looks..........
You are absolutely correct sir.

Return to “Prop Talk”