New Member, New Air Boat Owner

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Barrett-FL
Southern Airboat Member

New Member, New Air Boat Owner

Post by Barrett-FL »

Hello!

My son and I just purchased our first airboat yesterday and I have a lot to learn and I'm hoping this site will be a resource for some information from some experienced and patient air boat operators.

The boat we purchased is a 13' 6" Cotton Mouth with a 350 SBC direct drive. It appears to be an older boat due to some of the rigging and what I see as "Old School" technology.

It has been completely refurbished fairly recently and in very good cosmetic and structural condition with quality welding and solid stringers etc. I think it was likely made in the 90s. Not sure when the last Cotton Mouth hull was manufactured.

It has a fairly new crate engine which starts and runs well. It has a slight oil leak at the port side valve cover which I anticipate will only need a new gasket to correct. The boat needs some upgrades such as lights and wiring. The trailer is home built and recently refinished and re-bunked and in excellent condition and also needs lights & wiring.

My first question is: It currently has a pad for the trim tab but no actuator. Which ,manufacturer should one look to for a decent price and warranty? Are used ones generally available and if so, what is a fair price for a used one?

Thanks for any info!

Barrett
(Snake Bit)
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: New Member, New Air Boat Owner

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Welcome to SA

Great starter boat it won’t be long and you will want more power.

Electric trim tab ? Look at Lenco
Barrett-FL
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Barrett-FL »

Thank you!

I figure it will be a good boat to learn and see how we like it. We got a good deal on the boat I feel and can sell to upgrade when we're ready.

Like everything else, once you get into it, you want to climb the ladder and I figure airboats are no different.
One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Welcome

If you have you don't have much stick time the is a do and don't with some good info it that's worth reading.

Enjoy the addiction and it's a very tall ladder that can reach the sky if you're not careful.
Bonefish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bonefish »

Check the existing trim tab closely as there are some that are spring loaded and don't require an actuator.
Welcome
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Barrett-FL welcome to SA!

This is a good read on Airboating Do & Don'ts :salute:

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=30116
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.
Marshn
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Marshn »

Run shallow water, run with other boats, don't leave cell coverage ,and join your local club. Thanks SA for all the info I got from ya'll.

Return to “Airboat Talk”