Building new Al David!?!?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Plastertech2518
Southern Airboat Member

Building new Al David!?!?

Post by Plastertech2518 »

I’m thinking about building a new Al David! If anybody has some input that has owned or driven one please let me know. They look like beautiful hulls but I have never owned one myself please chime in thanks in advance pics would also be helpful
14.5 2018 DB hull, Waterthunder 418 LS EFI, 2.68 oxbox, 3 blade JX 82inch, stainless rigged :old_glory:
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Building new Al David!?!?

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Not certain but I think Mr. Gerald did a boat with them not to long ago.

Try Southern Airboat member "NEWOLDGLORY" he is on Facebook too.
unforgiven11B
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by unforgiven11B »

Mr. Gerald’s is a Don Davis.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

unforgiven11B wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:02 pm
Mr. Gerald’s is a Don Davis.
True story.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Im on second performance hull, in my opinion they are the best hulls money can by other than a benny webb. Again just my opinion
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540
fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Al David.jpg
Al David.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 446 times
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2011 Al David / AV 540
Stars & Bars
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Stars & Bars »

I have an al david boat and run it like a 4x4 jeep. For the last 10yrs this thing is awesome!! In my opinion HAVE HIM BUILD YOU ONE.
PEACE , through superior fire power!!!
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

IMO, Al David’s hull are right there near the top of the list for one of the best riveted hulls made. I think Benny Webb takes more time doing final finish work...smoothing out edges, shaping, and hand filing things. But Al builds his standard hulls more robust. I’d run one.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Seven3 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:46 pm
IMO, Al David’s hull are right there near the top of the list for one of the best riveted hulls made. I think Benny Webb takes more time doing final finish work...smoothing out edges, shaping, and hand filing things. But Al builds his standard hulls more robust. I’d run one.
There it is folks! Seven3 is trading in the Thurman for an Al David. Coming soon to a swamp near you. :lol: :lol:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

digginfool wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:27 pm
Seven3 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:46 pm
There it is folks! Seven3 is trading in the Thurman for an Al David. Coming soon to a swamp near you. :lol: :lol:
Nope, definitely not trading in the Thurman. Benny Webb/Thurmans are by far the most beautiful airboat hulls you can buy. His attention to detail, and the time he puts into his hulls making beautiful curves and lines are unmatched. But there’s no denying Al David builds a strong hull. If I could only have one...it’d be a Webb/Thurman. But you can’t go wrong either way.
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Plastertech2518 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:12 pm
I’m thinking about building a new Al David! If anybody has some input that has owned or driven one please let me know. They look like beautiful hulls but I have never owned one myself please chime in thanks in advance pics would also be helpful
What's the primary goal of the build? Where are you looking to run? What are the most important attributes too you?

On any water (deep or skinny) or on dry open prairie, those hulls run like the wind. Having been swarmed by Al David gangs in the past, I'd say they can come out of nowhere :twisted:. The wide and relatively flat hull form spreads out the load so they float shallow, run dry grass like butter, jump on plane quick and require minimum power to cruise.

But throw in the black and/or green sticky and you will wish the hull had more roll to minimize ground contact and mud suction, I've made a lap or two around a few before climbing down to help shake their grass rake so we can get back after it. :stirpot:

If I had enough time to maintain another boat, an Al David style boat would be high on my list. A well made riveted hull takes some time and a man can only make so many. Do keep in mind that there are several respected builders making similar hulls.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Return to “Airboat Talk”