prop options??

Airboat propeller discussion.
grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

prop options??

Post by grey owl »

probably too basic a question for you all but I'm thinking about getting a new prop and don't know what to look at. i am Canadian running what we call a scoot ( ice snow water in the same day). My conditions range from crazy slippery with no friction compared to water (100 mph plus) to running on wet snow that feels like glue. I have only ever run a paddle prop on my 16 ft glass boat with a Lycoming 540. i love the push for the sticky days but on the slippery days it feels like your putting brakes on as soon as you let off the gas I'm guessing because of the drag from the prop. i want lots of push but would love more top end than i get from my paddle prop. any recommendation and what can i expect power wise from the different options out there?
thanks will
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: prop options??

Post by Slidin Gator »

Owl,

Define the paddle prop you are running a bit better please. Wood, carbon fiber, make, dimensions, pitch? What RPM do you need now to break free in the wet snow? Parallel or angle valve, carb or injection on the 540?

The no friction scenario matches real skinny water down here and wet snow is thick cattails (in my imagination any way).
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Return to “Prop Talk”