Towing

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Towing

Post by UnoWho »

motortrend.com/cars/jeep/gladiator/2021/2021-jeep-gladiator-ecodiesel-first-test-review/
UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by UnoWho »

UnoWho
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by UnoWho »

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

Blackcoffee wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:57 am
Thanks Swamp Thang. I sat in a Gladiator and liked it. I have a used F350 that I can buy at the end of the month but really have no need for a big truck anymore. I think I will test drive a Gladiator. Does the gas engine down shift a lot when pulling the airboat? I was thinking about the diesel one so I can also pull a small travel trailer for close trips.
The 8 speed actually holds a gear well, the max tow pkg. comes with 410 gears and the wider Dana 44 axles on the Sport model and the Rubicon has that plus lockers, electronic sway bar disconnect and a 4 to 1 transfer case. A friend has a diesel 4 dr Wrangler and the throttle response was a little slow so he put a throttle controller on it and it made a big difference... still doesn't match the pep off the line of the gas engine but much better than stock. He hasn't towed much with it yet, a pair of jet skis doesn't count lol. Definitely keep the 410 gears in mind if you decide to purchase one. no need to re gear for towing or big tires with average use in my opinion. Unless I was going to tow a lot I would stay with the gas engine but the diesel has 200 lbs more torque so it should do the job better.
Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamp Thang »

Is it my old eyes or does the axle placement on that Airstream seem to be centered front to back, in my experience they tow much better when the axles are set a little towards the rear... I would expect that Airstream to sway with the axles where they are without an anti sway system, anyone that has used an anti sway system on a travel trailer will probably never tow without one again.
Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blackcoffee »

I heard the article was written by people with no Jeep experience. I also understand Jeep says for loads like that a sway bar should be used which they said they did not. All articles where sway bars were used were much better results.
GTO 14' Deckover
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Seven3 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:56 am
I don’t mean to derail this topic, but since diesels were mentioned I figured I’d add my input. I USED TO BE a huge diesel truck fan.
Seven3 you pissed right in my bowl of corn flakes bro! I have been looking at prices of some very nice used low mileage 2015-2018 GMC Duramax diesels 2500's. Now you have me rethinking. I have seen some of these same model years with almost 300K miles on them, so I would think they are somewhat capable of going some of that distance. Glad this thread came about so we can have a good discussion on tow vehicles. :salute:

A friend drove with a guy who had a 2020 1500 Chevy 3.0 Duramax diesel to PA and pulled a trailer with car back to FL. Said the truck pulled like a dream and never struggled one bit. Don't know the actual weights involved.
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.
Dying_breed
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Dying_breed »

For whatever it's worth... I own an 02 1500hd, silverado 6.0 gasser. 4l80e trans, 4x4, 6" lift & 35s. As is my truck don't hit OD until 55mph on the speedo which is really 60mph. I might get 10mpg on my best days. Drop the blowboat on the back and I see 7mpg and either have to drive about 45ish mph keeping the rpms down or run 65+ to keep it locked up in final drive. Because it wont hold OD at 60. However the truck does pull my 27' bumper pull camper alot better Than the airboat.. but my wife's tahoe, same lift and tires but has a 5.3 w/ 4l60e Is a race car and makes fuel compared to my 6.0. 14mpg @ 60mph pulling her airboat... both trucks are 3:73 gears... moral of the story, stay away from older 6.0 chevys.. they suck!
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

This is a great thread, buying a tow vehicle is a big decision and purchase for most, it's good to compare notes.

I'll start with this.
SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:07 am
My 4x4 Tundra can pull the Space Shuttle and pass everything on the road but a gas station.

You can literally watch the gas gauge move any time your towing above 60mph. It drinks more fuel than any tow vehicle I have ever owned.
Swamp, you need to read this article, now might be a great time to unload that gas hog.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3667 ... fers-real/

My last to vehicle was a 1994 GMC 3/4 ton suburban 4x4 with 350, auto that I ran until 2017. I have always been a Chevy guy and skipped a generation or two of trucks before I went shopping in 2017. I now own a 2017 6.7 F250 4x4 crew cab and will admit the interior room and comfort vs. Chevy is what made the decision. They offer 2 gear ratios, 3.31 and 3.55, I wanted the 3.31 for better fuel mileage with lighter loads but ended up with the 3.55.

It is the first diesel I have ever owed and it will pull anything I hook up with ease and plenty comfortable. I can't compare vs. the later model gas vehicles, but I sure could have used a tow vehicle like this for years. It tows everything I have like it's not there, the only indication is the turbo gauge. Running empty I can get 16 MPG if I hold it down to 70, but I average about 15 MPG running 1,900 RPM just below 80. Throw the airboat on the back and I get 13 MPG on cruise at 75. Add the slide in camper with the airboat in tow I get 13.5 MPG. Regardless of what I am doing I am always looking for a fuel stop, between the Crew cab, short bed and DEF tank all they could find room for is a 22 gallon tank that I have only ever been able to stuff 18.5 gallons into.

The one BIG issue I have had is SPEED WOBBLE. I have talked to several folks that have the same issue and lot's of other owners that have never heard of it. The dealers act like they have never heard of it (bull crap). I'm guessing some other folks on here have had the same issue, but that big, heavy Dana 60 live axle in the front is a whole bunch of unspring mass. Ford went a little overboard on the smooth ride on the Super Duty's and put spring/shock packages that are not up to task. The truck tracks and tows great, no wondering or bad tire wear. But every so often if I hit just the right, random bump in the road it will start. I can't predict it and have gone a year without an occurrence. I have to be doing over 75, hit that random bump and the the whole rig goes haywire, front axle shaking left to right and the steering wheel shaking violently. When it occurs the truck continues straight, I just have to take my hands off the wheel, stay off the brake and roll the speed down under 55 mph (while whoever is behind me rolls up my butt). I took the truck back to Ford multiple times, starting at 3,000 miles. Since I could not reproduce it, they gave me the run around each time, did one swap on the steering stabilizer (did it again 3 days later) and after the truck ran out of warranty they told me to eat SH&T.

While I could go full lawyer on it, we all know it is too much hassle. As of late last year I swapped out the front shocks for a set of Bilstein shocks and have not had a re-occurrence (knock on wood). The ride and handling is better/tighter with the Bilstein shocks and I have tried to make it re-occur. Is it fixed, I don't know, only time will tell, knock on wood. If this does not fix it I imagine I will trade it in or sell it to the next guy to deal with and switch to Chevy with the independent front suspension.

The other big concern is eating a fuel pump. I have heard the same story from Ford and Chevy owners (just talked to a guy this week that lost a 6.7 fuel pump at 120K miles) and I imagine the Rams are similar. The new low sulfur fuel is really hard on diesel injection pumps, the sulfur provided lubrication. Loosing a fuel pump is bad enough, but when it craters it fills all the injectors and pressure control valves with shrapnel. I hear this is something like a $12K repair bill that I would prefer to avoid. I am pretty religious with the lubricity fuel additive and filter maintenance, but I am looking to add an HP fuel filter just after the fuel pump to limit any damage to the pump itself. if anyone has any advise on a good aftermarket kit I'm all ears.

So this is some good advice for sure.
Blackcoffee wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:28 pm
I have heard the 19 & 20 Ram may have fuel pump problems. My son has a 19 and runs a fuel additive to help prevent problems. All the newer diesels need to have the fuel filters changed at recommended mileage. I used to push it in the past but would not now.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.
Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dirtman »

Slidin Gator its not just the Fords that have the DEATH WOBBLE both of my Rams an 05 and 2013 had the same thing. Hit a bump just the right way and the whole front end tries to jump out from under you. The pucker factor gets real high when pulling a 28 ft trailer at 80 MPH
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor
JLP3314
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JLP3314 »

Slidin Gator wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:51 pm
In my opinion a half ton pickup is a good all around tow vehicle for any single axle trailer. You can tow bigger, but 3/4 to 1 ton is what you want with 2 axles. Jeeps are squirrelly enough by themselves, they make towing a chore.

If you want comfort, the new crew cab trucks can be rigged out with plush seats and plenty of leg room.

As for power, only the diesels and big gas motors will hold overdrive on the Highway with all the drag of an airboat. You can have Eco or you can have boost, just not at the same time.

Very sad story about this, listen up ya'll younger guys!
My buddy tree "surgeon", (neighbor for many years down in Naples) towing his stump grinder (what maybe 1500#'s?) behind his CJ-7 at 55 MPH on Golden Gate Boulevard there.
The rear tire blew/sent the jeep and stump grinder into an instant fishtale/that quickly turned into barrel rolling 3 times with him seat belted in under the "roll cage"".
They med flighted him out to Ft Myers and he would never walk again, (miracle he even survived).

Like Slidin' Gator said above guys...don't mess around towing the blow boat with a lifted and/or short wheelbase.

I'm gonna have to go bigger this next time around. I had an 08' Expedition that towed my barge of a long belt CM DB on a tandem trailer before and it did ok-but you might've seen me once or twice at steep ramps pushing the rig uphill with the boat lol!
Don't waste your time-its the only thing you can't get back, (Cntry141IQ/John had another thousand of these before he went sliding into the sky). :-(
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

I have seen several YouTube folk who have documented “speed or death wobble” and in one they chased down the actual cause. In that case it was steering components out of spec and with very premature wear.

That’s one thing about the Tundra it is solid.

Return to “Airboat Talk”