WaterThunder is building the new FORD Godzilla motor

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

WaterThunder is building the new FORD Godzilla motor

Post by Waterthunder »

Waterthunder Performance is building a FORD for a airboat! We have been looking forward to this for 2 years. We tried getting one of Fords new Godzilla motors from John Kaase 2 years ago. It's Fords 1st pushrod motor in decades I believe it is their attempt for a option to their diesel engine.. At 1st glance I believe it has the potential to be a better airboat motor than the LS. Really looking forward to this project. It's never profitable in the begging It's not like I can go on the internet or google what works or who makes parts. Luckily we have already been working with a few vendors on making some custom components for this airboat build.

THE PROOF IS IN THE PROP!

"If you copy someone you will only achieve what has already been done."

http://waterthunder.com/
321-508-5316
Robo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: WaterThunder is building the new FORD Godzilla motor

Post by Robo »

This will be interesting, don't believe you can get me to give up my LS, but who knows.
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Go Go Godzilla.
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Heavy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Heavy »

This is good to hear. I feel like a step child when I'm on the lake with a Ford motor.
14' Jimmy White /557BB Ford Motor :florida: :rebel:
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Sounds very interesting and that you have a lot going on at the shop.

Starting at 475 foot pounds of torque at 4,000 rpm what do you feel is the potential yield for a WT modified version ?

Are the new Godzilla engines a totally new push rod engine design or will you be able to draw from existing components such as camshaft from another Ford engine series?
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

Cam grinds are killing me we have to go to tool steel for the 1st batch. Comp hasn't even ground one yet. All the grinds out there are with a 4k intake and made to make 800HP at 8,600RPM's. 1ST 3 CAMS will cost about $900 each The only controller out there is fly bye wire and WE WILL NOT EVER EVER DO THA. So were working on a stand alone system with a standard cable airdoor. This is just like when I built the very 1st LS for a airboat hell nobody even made a ignition box yet!

321-508-5316
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

This has me interested, not from an airboat perspective I’m an AC guy 😂, but because I have been interested in these engines in the trucks. I’m an old-school diesel guy, I won’t buy one of these new ridiculously expensive ridiculously complex diesel engines, so this 7.3 gas caught my attention when it came out. I’m no engine builder, but what is your opinion on only having 10 cylinder head bolts on this engine? Ever since the whole 6.0 power stroke fiasco, I want as many cylinder head bolts around each cylinder as possible. Granted I understand this is not a turbo charged diesel engine, but even SBC’s had 18 right?
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

10 head bolts dont scare me in todays world with MLS head gaskets and modern design. The LS is 10 the small block Mopar and Ford are 10 and so is the big block Ford. Now if you ran the new 7.3L in a 3/4 ton truck and put a turbo on it I still wouldn't be scared unless you wer making 12 plus lbs of boost. Lets be honest all the motors out there don't have head gasket problem's until Leroy puts a chip in his full size diesel truck and makes it run 12's with major boost increases. Even with the old 10 head bolt motors I found most will hold up to a 250HP shot of NOS before gasket problems start!

321-508-5316
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

I suspected the cam would be the first component to source.
The heads and valve train you probably can put your own touches upon.
Will any current forged pistons be suitable for a cross? In the Caddy world early on BB Ford pistons had been used with Hemi rods.
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

I’m definitely interested and curious to see how this works out. When I started learning about the 7.3 gas engine, I got pretty excited about its possibilities. I like that it appears to have been designed and built for the medium duty market...the cab and chassis trucks, motor homes, etc. It appears overbuilt for pickup use, which should be a good thing. My only reservation was with the number of head bolts, but you say that’s not a problem and I believe you.
FatCracker
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by FatCracker »

What is the concern with fly by wire? Throttle position sensor mounted directly on pedal vs mounted on throttle body connected with a cable. There is no electronics inside the pedal, it is just two wiping style potentiometers. You trade a throttle blade motor for a IAC motor.
If it flies it dies!
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

The electronic pedals and electronic air doors are not made to be out side in the weather. Sorry I just have no interest in doing that after seeing all the failures and issues I have seen. IN 20 years of us putting EFI systems on air boats I have seen ZERO failures with a mechanical throttle body and even better no matter what happens with the throttle cable I can pull a shoe string out and get home. PS i DO KNOW OF 4 LAWSUITS with fly bye wire airboats where the motor was WOT and hurt someone in each case.

321-508-5316
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Waterthunder wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:47 pm
no matter what happens with the throttle cable I can pull a shoe string out and get home.
Mule tape throttle cable, been there :thumbleft:

Then there was a VW bug back in the 70's. Broke the throttle cable, so we held the hood open and routed a string off the carb, out the back, through some clothespins, through the left rear window. My buddy in the back seat ran the throttle, it wasn't like there was a big concern with it geting stuck wide open, how much damage can you do with a 64 Hp motor :dontknow: But it took team work to start off at each red light, throttle in the back seat, clutch in the front.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

Thats cool in High School I had a Gore with a 125 Lycoming the throttle cable broke real late one night on land about 1 mile past somewhere legal to be! So I pulled the shoe strings out of my shoes tied them together and then to my carb and drove back home. One of many McGiver times in the marsh!

321-508-5316
Blownaway540
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blownaway540 »

40 years ago a friend, Dirk Fisher (RIP) was on his way to lake Cypress landing off canoe creek. Broke the U-Joint in his truck about 5 miles from landing, ran a heavy string from carb on AC motor to drivers window of truck. Started boat motor and used propelsion of motor to push boat, trailer and truck the 5 miles to landing. Managed to get boat off trailer somehow, boated all night and worried about fixing truck next day. That is McGiver and the want to go.
IGSO 0540 (W/out IG) built by the late, great, Dick Hoffman, 13 ft. Alumitech. Member - CRA, KRVSA
Waterthunder
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Waterthunder »

So we start at a 140ish heavier than a LS but Im about to call Jenny Craig. I think when were done we will be about 90lbs heavier than a LS with more power more torque and more cubic inches. Man I love the intake runners on this motor very Happy with what Im seeing so far!!!!

321-508-5316
Heavy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Heavy »

Dave, I don't see a weight on that flex plate. Is this motor internally balanced?
hdsadey
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hdsadey »

The God of LS Thunder developing a Ford powerplant! I love it! Dave what do you think of the chain driven oil pump? Has me scratching my head a little! Does the starter bolt to the bellhousing like past Fords?
02 Predator 12' 0320 Lycoming
2019 Circle H 408 Windsor DD Sig Series 74"
99 Donzi 16 Classic 350 Vortec
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

I haven’t been this interested in a topic on SA in a long time🤣. Dave, so are you thinking this 7.3 could be an alternative to the LS in the airboat world, or are you thinking this is going to be the new ‘go to’ big block for the large airboats where a big block is required? Just curious where you see the application going.
Heavy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Heavy »

Any updates on how the Jenny Craig diet worked on this big girl???
smythts
Southern Airboat Member

Post by smythts »

I’m curious of the 4 lawsuits you speak of? I find it super freaking hard to believe that Levitator would put an engine out with DBW if that was even a concern.
White Hawk
Southern Airboat Member

Post by White Hawk »

I bet this dog will hunt! Enjoy the ride!
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." :florida:
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

smythts wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:42 pm
I’m curious of the 4 lawsuits you speak of? I find it super freaking hard to believe that Levitator would put an engine out with DBW if that was even a concern.
One of the stories I heard with a "fly by wire" lawsuit was boat owner pushed his boat off the trailer. Put truck up in parking spot and returned to start the boat. Turned the key and the throttle position sensor was hung wide open and things went bad fast. That was about 3-4 years ago that I had heard that story. Don't know the boat owner or have confirmation.
Smuggler
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by Smuggler »

I agree the standard GM pedal is not made for wet locations, you can beat that by mounting the pedal in the dry dox under the seat and drive it off the traditional cable pedal but Livorsi makes a nice fully sealed to IP68 specifications electric throttle pedal. The problem for me was they only offered it programmed for MEFI5 and 6 engines. I wanted to use the standard GM E67 ECU found in cars. To skin this cat, I dove into the parameters of the GM system. The DBW system uses 2 app sensors in the pedal. Both of these app sensors provide voltage to the ECU but on opposite scales. For the E67 ECU, App sensor 1 reads from .78 volts to 4.78 volts. Then app sensor 2 reads from 4.78 volts to .78 volts. As you push down on the throttle pedal, app senor 1 increases the voltage while app sensor 2 decreases the voltage sent to the ECU. If at ANY time these 2 app sensors are more then a certain percentage apart OR out of scale the ECU sends the engine into limp mode. The engine comes to idle and the throttle pedal is inoperative until you shut the power off and clear the code. That is what happens when the traditional DBW pedal gets wet inside. It took some real time of testing and investigation to get the pedal programming all figured out so the Livorsi pedal would work properly with the GM E67 ECU. From all my experience and trials I find it extremely unlikely that a engine could go to WOT on its own because of the DBW setup. Now I have seen the blade on the throttle body crack around the screws and since the tolerances are so close around the blade that the blade will hang up on the housing and hold the throttle in what ever position it is hung in. HOWEVER this happens with both DBW AND DBC throttle bodies. In either case a simple turning off of the key keeps things under control. I'm not saying 1 is better then the other, what I am saying is from my experience I would not be surprised to find out these law suits were actually operator error or mechanical failure and then blamed on the DBW setup.. Personally I just like the feel on the foot of the DBW pedal over DBC while driving and the install is cleaner with no cable to look at..
FISHSTICKER
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FISHSTICKER »

Summit list the Godzilla for $6849. I thought it would cost a lot more than that. Not a bad price. I see some with forced induction over 1000HP.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”