Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Slickkrebs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slickkrebs »

So I just got ahold of 12’ fiber glass air boat it’s 6’ wide, it’s rigged up for a 472. This is my first airboat and I need some help, what engine would be good to put on this hull? I’m not trying to break the bank and I’m also wanting to stay automotive! I have the skills to change the rigging so that’s not an issue, I am also wanting to keep it direct drive! I live in Inverness fl, I’m just needing some guidance from guys who have done this for a while! Thank you and god bless!
BackwoodsJ1991
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Newbie

Post by BackwoodsJ1991 »

I’m in the same boat as you I just got my first boat 12 got deck over and it’s set up for a Lycoming 160 and I’m wondering if I could go automotive because I don’t want air craft and I’ve learned it’s hard to find a motor. I posted a similar question so I’m hoping someone can help ya out and hopefully me too! My ex was the airboat guy I’m trying to do my own thing now. My circle is cut off that I used to have. Best of luck!
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Slickkrebs & BackwoodsJ1991,

Welcome to SA and the insanity!

Everything comes down to money and how much you want to spend!

The more money you invest the happier you will be with the outcome!

A 472 caddy will kick ass if built correctly for DD use. Swamp or Deano can give great input!

Backwoods are you looking for an engine?

Each of you can post about your setups and what you plan to do with your boats. Hunt, ride, pleasure, etc.

Good luck with your builds!
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

BackwoodsJ1991 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:19 pm
I’m in the same boat as you I just got my first boat 12 got deck over and it’s set up for a Lycoming 160 and I’m wondering if I could go automotive because I don’t want air craft and I’ve learned it’s hard to find a motor. I posted a similar question so I’m hoping someone can help ya out and hopefully me too! My ex was the airboat guy I’m trying to do my own thing now. My circle is cut off that I used to have. Best of luck!
Do you own the "Backwoods" boat? White with purple flames, skulls and swamp scenes? If so, that's an 11 ft Don Davis and it did have a 160 on it. You'll never be able to put a car engine on that boat. Let me know if that's the same boat you own or not. I can give you some more info on it. BTW, my avatar is me sitting on the boat I'm talking about.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat
BackwoodsJ1991
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BackwoodsJ1991 »

No that isn’t my boat I just bought mine from someone recently it’s just a hull and rigging nothing else on it. Let me look at your avatar
BackwoodsJ1991
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BackwoodsJ1991 »

kwanjangnihm wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:37 pm

A 472 caddy will kick ass if built correctly for DD use. Swamp or Deano can give great input!

Each of you can post about your setups and what you plan to do with your boats. Hunt, ride, pleasure, etc.

Yes I need an engine.
I was trying to find a 160 to just get the boat in the water since that was on it originally. But then I’m learning it’s really hard to find one, or even a larger one. I’m more familiar with automotive engines and wanted to go automotive if possible. I’ve got two seats on the boat now but plan on taking The second one off because I don’t plan on taking anyone out. I mostly riding okeechobee and using it for cruising hunting fishing ect. Later on when I get comfortable I plan on building a larger boat. I got this deck over just to get out there for now and have fun
BackwoodsJ1991
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BackwoodsJ1991 »

digginfool wrote:
BackwoodsJ1991 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Do you own the "Backwoods" boat? White with purple flames, skulls and swamp scenes? If so, that's an 11 ft Don Davis and it did have a 160 on it. You'll never be able to put a car engine on that boat. Let me know if that's the same boat you own or not. I can give you some more info on it. BTW, my avatar is me sitting on the boat I'm talking about.
No that is not the boat there.
Slickkrebs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slickkrebs »

kwanjangnihm wrote:

I’m looking to pleasure ride and hangout and meet new people

Slickkrebs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slickkrebs »

I’m looking to pleasure ride and make new friends and just live the dream! I understand that spending more money will make a better boat but being it’s my first one and I only spent $500 for hull rigging cage and trailer I want to keep this one cheap and I’ll build a nicer and more expensive one once I get this one running! Any help is appreciated
radtech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radtech »

Slickkrebs wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:41 pm
I’m looking to pleasure ride and make new friends and just live the dream! I understand that spending more money will make a better boat but being it’s my first one and I only spent $500 for hull rigging cage and trailer I want to keep this one cheap and I’ll build a nicer and more expensive one once I get this one running! Any help is appreciated
Yeah, I said that when I bought the one I have about 12 years ago. :lol: Since then, I've rebuilt the engine 3 times and I'm about to have my 3rd hull. Hope that works out for ya! I never was able to buy a nicer one, but I'm having a new hull built now at least
Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Slickkrebs wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:41 pm
I would think a 0320 would be easy to find. A 0360 would be better. And less mods to cage.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”